MT07 (damascus) replica or real?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
David R

MT07 (damascus) replica or real?

Post by David R »

This MT07 has me questioning if it's a counterfeit replica. The markings include "D.P.S. 15" on the blade. I've never seen this on a Spyderco knife, including Mules. I suppose it's possible Spyderco did it on this one. Odd, but maybe?

The handle finish is also questionable and unlike any other Mule I have.

TomAiello

Re: MT07 (damascus) replica or real?

Post by TomAiello »

I don't think I've ever seen a Mule that _wasn't_ marked with the steel type. Was the DPS15 mule (MT07) not marked?
David R

Post by David R »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:50 pm
I don't think I've ever seen a Mule that _wasn't_ marked with the steel type. Was the DPS15 mule (MT07) not marked?
It has VG-10 after the DPS 15. The Damascus Mule is VG-10 Damascus, so it saying VG-10 is consistent. I think.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think the steel is technically DPS 15. DPS 15 is a VG-10 core with the Damascus laminated to it. (Spydiewiki: https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?ti ... 5_Damascus)
Spyderco’s Damascus is a laminated fifteen-layer steel with a Suminagashi pattern. The Damascus steel is composed of layers of erosive and non-erosive material over a VG-10 core center. The erosive layers are hard martensite stainless steel and the non-erosive layers are anti-corrosion nonferrous metal. These layers block carbon particles in the core from spreading to the outer layers. After layering the blade is forged to intentionally distort the layer-lines making a complicated, artistically beautiful pattern called Suminagashi. Suminagashi is the traditional Japanese art form of creating ripples of Chinese ink on the surface of water. This steel mimics the art form with interesting results on a knife blade. Once the layers are distorted, the blade is bathed in acid etching the pattern to vivid relief.

Known as D.P.S. 15, the blade material is produced by Takefu Special Steel Company, Ltd. in Japan. It consists of a VG-10 stainless steel core sandwiched between two outer layers of Damascus steel. Each of the Damascus layers is composed of 15 layers of forge-welded steel, beautifully patterned and etched to reveal the detail of the structure.
I'm not saying yours is definitely genuine, but the blade markings don't scream 'counterfeit' at me.
David R

Post by David R »

Got it, and thanks. That makes more sense. Now the only question is the handle.

For now I'm going to assume it's legit.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

David R wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:55 pm
Got it, and thanks. That makes more sense. Now the only question is the handle.

For now I'm going to assume it's legit.
I took a close look at my unwrapped MT07P this morning, and while not as severe as yours, mine shows the same surface irregularities as yours. I'm sure you're good.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Not a problem.

standy99

Post by standy99 »

It’s good…consistent with ones I have looked at buying over the years (but never bought)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.