LC200N Salt 2 Incredible

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ferruginous

LC200N Salt 2 Incredible

Post by Ferruginous »

I've posted about using my serrated LC200N UKPK for the last couple of years. Since they were so cheap on clearance, I picked up a couple of LC200N Wharncliffe Salt 2 knives and have been using one for a week or so. I'm impressed.

The Salt 2 weighs less than 2 oz, offers a secure, full-hand grip, and can be worn everywhere without worrying about corrosion.

My wife has had one of these for a few years and wears it clipped inside her waistband while running 2-10 miles per day, in Florida without a spec of rust. I wish I had tried hers years ago.

I think the Salt 2 will be replacing my UKPK as my ultralight EDC. I especially like the Wharncliffe blade, the straight edge makes sharpening easy.
BLUETYPEII

Re: LC200N Salt 2 Incredible

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Ferruginous wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:03 am
I've posted about using my serrated LC200N UKPK for the last couple of years. Since they were so cheap on clearance, I picked up a couple of LC200N Wharncliffe Salt 2 knives and have been using one for a week or so. I'm impressed.

The Salt 2 weighs less than 2 oz, offers a secure, full-hand grip, and can be worn everywhere without worrying about corrosion.

My wife has had one of these for a few years and wears it clipped inside her waistband while running 2-10 miles per day, in Florida without a spec of rust. I wish I had tried hers years ago.

I think the Salt 2 will be replacing my UKPK as my ultralight EDC. I especially like the Wharncliffe blade, the straight edge makes sharpening easy.
It’s too bad the wharncliffe were just discontinued.

I really like my Pacific Salt and I’m quite interested in the standard salt 2 PE.
It’s so ridiculously light. You probably won’t even notice it in the pocket.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

The Salt 2 wharnie is one of my favorite yardwork knives.

I hope it comes back in some form in the future.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

LC200N is one of those steels that deserves the hype it gets. It gets so sharp so easily…I have no idea what type of condition my Caribbean is in at the moment (since we’re so deep into fishing season) but I can guarantee that it still whittles hair in several spots…
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

In another post a while back, I asked about the salt and was told by a few people in not so many words that h1 is the way to go. Now people are raving about lc200. What gives? WHich one is truly better?
R100

Post by R100 »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:25 am
In another post a while back, I asked about the salt and was told by a few people in not so many words that h1 is the way to go. Now people are raving about lc200. What gives? WHich one is truly better?
Both good just different - to quote some guy .:winking-tongue

Dan
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Ferruginous wrote:

Try this. Best of both worlds

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

The Salt 2 in both steels has become my go-to EDC most of the time. It's a fantastic general utility knife.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Salt 2 wharnie is my most carried knife in the last couple years by far-- just easy to reach for it to EDC for any situation. It has cutting performance, nice steel, blade length, great ergonomics, everything I want in an ultralight form factor. Bought a backup since it's been discontinued. Since I don't want to hype it too much I will admit one downside-- it's not as smooth opener compared to a Delica. But I don't care.
Last edited by spydergoat on Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tangent

Post by tangent »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:09 am
Ferruginous wrote:

Did you grind that using a belt sander or did you do it by hand? Really like the blade shape.
Last edited by tangent on Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Marius you may have finally gotten me to try this mod. Thanks; I think.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

tangent wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:39 pm
elena86 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:09 am
Ferruginous wrote:

Did you grind that using a belt sander or did you do it by hand? Really like the blade shape.

I used an electric grinder. It took me 2 minutes. I finished the job with some fine sand paper. This is my summer carry now. Light and capable.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Blaine in the Rock

Post by Blaine in the Rock »

I am getting 1.82 oz on my jeweler's scale. I love this thing. Can't believe they are only $90 for the Wharnie. I read out here where someone called it the Spyderco Bugout. I like it so much better than the BMBO, but the comparison is spot on.

It's legit. If you are on the fence, grab one while you can.
Traditional.Sharpening

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

There is no better steel until you begin to start narrowing down how you use the knife, how often you sharpen, how you expect it to perform, etc.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

when people talk about the best steel, you have to take into account so many factors. if h1 was recommended to you, it was probably because of what you said you were going to be doing with it. or it could've simply been personal bias of the people that responded to you. the answer to the what steel is best question is always it depends.

h1 and h2 are hollow ground and have stronger tips, so i tend to recommend them for harder use. i also recommend them for serrated blades. for more typical edc tasks that are lighter use, i usuallyrecommend lc200n, because the flat grind makes it a better slicer.

none of that is absolutes though and the answer will always vary user to user. you can always learn from the experience of others, but there's no way to tell your preferences without your own experiences, and even those will change over time.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Blaine in the Rock

Post by Blaine in the Rock »

Anyone have issues with loctite on the pivot? Mine came loose and I snugged it down, but yesterday I found it had loosened again. When I took the screw out I was surprised that Seki had not used any locite. I hit it with the blue loctite stick and waited the recommended 24 hours. This morning I found the loctite had not worked. The threads were clean when it went on. Never had this problem before. Would love to hear thoughts.
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

Blaine in the Rock wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:03 am
Anyone have issues with loctite on the pivot? Mine came loose and I snugged it down, but yesterday I found it had loosened again. When I took the screw out I was surprised that Seki had not used any locite. I hit it with the blue loctite stick and waited the recommended 24 hours. This morning I found the loctite had not worked. The threads were clean when it went on. Never had this problem before. Would love to hear thoughts.
Did you use rubbing alcohol on the threads, or otherwise degrease them?

Which loctite are you using? 243 is like 242, but I believe it has some kind of primer mixed in. It works better with dissimilar materials and anything that may be exposed to oil. I used to use 242 on knives but found it often wouldn't 'take'. I now use 243 and rarely have an issue with a screw backing out.