Look what I got my hands on !

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Ramonade

Look what I got my hands on !

Post by Ramonade »

Got my hands on a MT01P 😁😁.
I talked about trying to find some Westinghouse micarta for the handle and immediately got a reply saying "It is very collector and you're still gonna use it?"

Yes 😁🤩

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Fireman

Re: Look what I got my hands on !

Post by Fireman »

Jealous
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
barnaclesonaboat

Post by barnaclesonaboat »

Nice find! Did you use a time machine? ;)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

barnaclesonaboat wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:28 pm
Nice find! Did you use a time machine? ;)
Kind of ! A fellow french guy that writes articles for knife and gun magazines checked all his drawers and vaults and found a lot of duplicates. Got me a Dice (I've been after it for a while) and this beautiful Mule).
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Robin, think that fella would have the damascus mule? Maybe wanna sell it to some random dude in kentucky 🤔

😁 that was a great score!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
standy99

Post by standy99 »

;) Nice score

Swapped a CPM S45VN for a 4V a few weeks ago, which I was very happy about….
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great score Robin ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Is it worth more to you as is, or sharpened and hafted?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:34 am
I talked about trying to find some Westinghouse micarta for the handle
I have some stock of old westinghouse that I have purchased from reputable sources. Would be willing to send some for a large discount considering it's a MT1 and shipping(to france?) Would be expensive.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

tcarltonw wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:35 am
Ramonade wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:34 am
I talked about trying to find some Westinghouse micarta for the handle
I have some stock of old westinghouse that I have purchased from reputable sources. Would be willing to send some for a large discount considering it's a MT1 and shipping(to france?) Would be expensive.
Thanks a lot ! I am going to buy a knife from a fellow U.S. forum member soon, maybe we could cut shipping cost by grouping them together ?

CLOK

Post by CLOK »

That is awesome. Question, since I was not around for the beginning of the mule program, and I am sure it would take some digging to find the answer, but I see there is a little extra cut out in the small holes in the handle. Was there a reason for those holes not being drilled the same as they are nowadays?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:43 pm
Is it worth more to you as is, or sharpened and hafted?
good question, and I think it will represent more to me with a natural patina and a good number or sharpenings in !
As far as the handle goes, I wanted to make it screw construction but I just realized it might just call for rust if I do that...
CLOK wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:20 am
That is awesome. Question, since I was not around for the beginning of the mule program, and I am sure it would take some digging to find the answer, but I see there is a little extra cut out in the small holes in the handle. Was there a reason for those holes not being drilled the same as they are nowadays?
Maybe they used different machines ? I know that my K390 Mule is the oldest I have besides this one and it has the same holes

CLOK

Post by CLOK »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:29 am
CLOK wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:20 am
Maybe they used different machines ? I know that my K390 Mule is the oldest I have besides this one and it has the same holes
Interesting. Wonder when they made that change then. Just for curiosity's sake.
Regardless, congratulations on the new one and glad it found a good home, looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

They changed the size of the holes after MT01P. People had a hard time finding hardware to fit the holes on the first Mule, so they cut them a little bigger after that. I had to pull the core strands out of the paracord to wrap that first one.

Edit to add: the holes are cut using whatever machine the maker is using, be it waterjet, laser, EDM or turret press. The odd tags on the holes on MT01P were the starting points for the laser cutter Golden was using at the time.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Anyone has a M4 (MT02) I will swap a Magnacut as quick as lightning :grin-big eyes
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

"Are you gonna use it?", he asks! Well, I guess that is a fair question, but it would be a foregone conclusion with me and the answer would be "of course".

This is very cool on at least two counts. One is 52100, which has always been a favorite steel of mine. The other of course is that is is mule number 1. One of my wishes when the genie comes out of the bottle might be a fixed blade in 52100. I suppose they are available if I want to spend the money.

Anyway, congratulations and thanks for sharing.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Nice. That's the only one I've owned so far.
:unicorn
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Nice find! Long ago, in ancient history, I bought one of the 52100 Mules when they were released. Sadly I no longer have it. I'm happy to see the project is still going, though between the 52100 Mule and the next one I got (MagnaCut) I did miss out on some good ones.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:15 am
They changed the size of the holes after MT01P. People had a hard time finding hardware to fit the holes on the first Mule, so they cut them a little bigger after that. I had to pull the core strands out of the paracord to wrap that first one.

Edit to add: the holes are cut using whatever machine the maker is using, be it waterjet, laser, EDM or turret press. The odd tags on the holes on MT01P were the starting points for the laser cutter Golden was using at the time.
I was just looking at how I was gonna build the handle, wondering if I was gonna use Corby Bolts or make it screw construction. However you were really right sayinf the holes are smaller, I have no hardware that can fit that !

I found 4mm shaft corbys, I just need to find a way to make it clean, these kind of corbys have either a 6 or 8mm head. I'll see if I can find the right countersink for the task. Might cost a lot just to make 2 holes lol

standy99

Post by standy99 »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:56 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:15 am

I was just looking at how I was gonna build the handle, wondering if I was gonna use Corby Bolts or make it screw construction. However you were really right sayinf the holes are smaller, I have no hardware that can fit that !

I found 4mm shaft corbys, I just need to find a way to make it clean, these kind of corbys have either a 6 or 8mm head. I'll see if I can find the right countersink for the task. Might cost a lot just to make 2 holes lol
Just pin it with metric pins or metric corbys ….they fit :shush