SE MagnaCut Testing Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hopsbreath

Re: SE MagnaCut Testing Thread

Post by Hopsbreath »

Had my own SE Salt Native on me doing yard work today. Cross cut a bunch of the neighbor’s bamboo hanging over the fence line and broke down the week’s boxes my wife had collected in the garage. I didn’t exactly test the sharpness when done but dragged it across the Sharpmaker brown rods before heading to a Vietnamese restaurant for lunch.

Fresh spring rolls came to the table and my semi-picky 5 year old wanted to try them but I didn’t want to give him a whole one just in case he didn’t like it. Wasn’t sure it was up to cutting the delicate/sticky rice wraps after the workout I put it through this morning and limited touch up but it did a really fantastic job simply push cutting and separating the roll clean as could be. Kid liked the spring roll so next time I’ll get him his own, but the knife certainly was up for the test and I was really impressed.
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

How's the SE Native's holding up within the forum members?
R100

Post by R100 »

SaltSerious wrote: How's the SE Native's holding up within the forum members?
I've only had mine a little over a month but I'm impressed so far. I have a number of Seki Salts in both H1 and LC200N and the Magnacut N5 is superior in a number of respects. Firstly it is much more acutely ground - under 15° - so no reprofiling needed and the original shape of the teeth is preserved which I now prefer after much experimenting with rounded reprofiled teeth. Secondly, Magnacut seems quite a bit more stable at the edge, especially compared to LC200N. I am often needing to straighten up the edge of my other SE Salts after heavy use but have had zero issues so far with Magnacut. It also seems to hold a very sharp edge longer and is still really easy to sharpen. The N5 LW itself is much better constructed and more solid than the Seki Salts. I'm really impressed and if we get a Magnacut Native Chief it will replace my much used Pac Salts.

Dan
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

Really well said Dan. I recently purchased the Native 5 Magnacut SE and appreciate those same quality's. Like you said the American made lock back is more robust than the Seki counterparts. Really anticipating the Native Chief in Magnacut. Don't see many videos on YouTube about the SE Magnacut N5.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:03 pm
HotRodGlock wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:59 pm
Am I the only one who wants a Salt Chief with SE Magnacut?

Nope, have been asking for SE Chief ever since I first handled one, and getting it in MagnaCut/Salt form would be amazing.

Will you then grab the BD1N LW Chief in fully SE?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm planning to grab one. I'm still pondering satin or DLC.