Kitchen knives and salt steels just curious

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
noedcbrobs

Re: Kitchen knives and salt steels just curious

Post by noedcbrobs »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:23 pm
Kale wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:02 pm
We just don't see many kitchen knives in newer high-performing steels. People ARE willing to spend a lot on kitchen knives... but the high-end stuff is typically Japanese-made and driven by a culture of tradition.

I'm surprised there isn't at least more interest on the Spyderco forum in kitchen knives in lc200n or magnacut... it's less about corrosion resistance than having the toughness and edge stability to make high-performing super-slicey blades (in fact, rex45 and k390 would be great too!).
What's stopping these people from buying a hap40 kotetsu?

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohawahakn.html

There's plenty of ZDP189 kitchen knives too.

Even Spyderco went with aogami super instead of magnacut, rex45, k390 etc. for their high end culinary knives.

The steels used in japanese cutlery are popular because they work well.

Those traditional Japanese steels are.. 1, easier to work work with, have excellent machinability, can readily be hammer forged, etc. This is honestly why they were what they are, traditionally wasn't selected because it was the ultimate steel, it was selected because it was good enough and yet critically it was very easy for the smith, the guy that hammers on hot metal, to work with. A lot of users love them because the combo of their high hardness, fine grain and low abrasion resistance makes them very easy to get very sharp. Most "end users" aren't skilled sharpeners so they love that it's effortless for even themselves to get a knife so sharp with such little effort. And as long as they have decent geometry they're gonna cut well, ie go through ingredients well, regardless.

Hap40 is a repurposed cobalt high speed tool steel promoted by CKTG. They are a huge seller of Japanese knives in the US. It's their influence alone that has made this a thing. Even still it's a very niche thing. It's not a common knife steel you'd find in Japan at all. On paper it seems like it would be an interesting choice but the fact is it has many issues as well. What makes this steel unique is it's ability to achieve very hard highness (65+ rc) without a very high carbide content. It's not without it's own issues. For one thing because of it's vanadium content it doesn't play nicely with your Japanese waterstones like basically any other kitchen knife steel would including ZDP189 which is ofc very high carbide but its all chromium carbide. You're going to want to use superabrasives on this stuff. It's not nice to work with in general, poor machinability, prone to warping, at the higher hardness it readily rusts, etc. Compared to somethin like say m4 it's just objectively inferior in every way as a knife steel. It's not a bad steel just often misunderstood. For one thing despite being a hassle to sharpen without diamonds it actually has less abrasion resistance in the catra test than even R2/SG2 when you normalize for hardness. CKTG have done a great job promoting this stuff but imho they haven't been 100% forthright with the customers about it. MTC kitchen which also sell Sukenari knives, one of the very few that have models in this steel, is more honest in their description about what to expect. They're not just gonna label it "voodoo steel" and call it a day. Which is whatever, so many knife dealers do, especially when it's a thing they popularized and promoted. Anyway I will end this rant there. From a purely practical perspective, i have never seen a any kitchen knives made of this steel that were ground thinly enough out of the box to warrant the niche steel choice. Most folks would be happier with a well designed kitchen knife made of something "boring" like AEBL in all honesty. It's got more toughness than a kitchen knife should ever require, is actually stainless, can take very fine edges, and is very easy to maintain and sharpen. It's too bad you really don't find any non custom kitchen knives made of AEBL that are hardened above 61 rc. I'm generally not big on cobalt steels especially for kitchen knives but like the first comment said knife steel matters much less than many would assume in this context.
Danke

Post by Danke »

And not just knives. Where are the Magnacut forks and spoons?
Traditional.Sharpening

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

Danke wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:40 pm
Magnacut might be overkill? lol

https://www.smkw.com/kabar-tactical-spork-black
Danke

Post by Danke »

Traditional.Sharpening wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:30 pm
Danke wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:40 pm
Magnacut might be overkill? lol

https://www.smkw.com/kabar-tactical-spork-black
If it's worth doing it's worth overdoing.
Kale

Post by Kale »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:23 pm
Kale wrote:
We just don't see many kitchen knives in newer high-performing steels. People ARE willing to spend a lot on kitchen knives... but the high-end stuff is typically Japanese-made and driven by a culture of tradition.

I'm surprised there isn't at least more interest on the Spyderco forum in kitchen knives in lc200n or magnacut... it's less about corrosion resistance than having the toughness and edge stability to make high-performing super-slicey blades (in fact, rex45 and k390 would be great too!).
What's stopping these people from buying a hap40 kotetsu?

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohawahakn.html

There's plenty of ZDP189 kitchen knives too.

Even Spyderco went with aogami super instead of magnacut, rex45, k390 etc. for their high end culinary knives.

The steels used in japanese cutlery are popular because they work well.

I'm not saying it's impossible to find these steels, just that they don't dominate the high-end market as they do for folding knives. Regarding Spyderco's decision to go with aogami super... that's kind of my point. Normally they'd be pushing the boundaries with something with super high edge retention, like Rex45/hap40.
Kale

Post by Kale »

Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:49 am
Kale wrote:

I'm not sure that any of those steels you mention would necessarily be high toughness/edge stability steels except for possibly LC200N. I have plans to experiment with that steel at similar geometries but have not found time yet to really do much there.

-snip-

I'm no expert, but I've heard good things about lc200n, rex45 and magnacut standing up to thin geometry. I had thought k390 had similar qualities, but perhaps I'm wrong?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Kale wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:03 am
Kale wrote:

I'm not sure that any of those steels you mention would necessarily be high toughness/edge stability steels except for possibly LC200N. I have plans to experiment with that steel at similar geometries but have not found time yet to really do much there.

-snip-

I'm no expert, but I've heard good things about lc200n, rex45 and magnacut standing up to thin geometry. I had thought k390 had similar qualities, but perhaps I'm wrong?
They'll perform just fine. It's not just about carbide size and volume. The surrounding matrix that supports the carbides also plays a huge role, which amongst many factors, is greatly affected by heat treatment.

The finest, lowest volume carbides in the universe without the strength in the matrix to support them are useless for edge stability.

So edge stability isn't just isolated to just the carbides, also raw toughness does not equal edge stability.

Use diamond/cBN for best results on K390 to maximize the edge performance.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Traditional.Sharpening

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

Kale wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:03 am
Kale wrote:

-snip-

I'm almost unable to answer this as without specific measurements with a set of quality calipers then it may simply be a case of comparing apples to oranges. I would say unless people are taking measurements at specific points up the blade behind the apex then it's very difficult to get a sense how thin something is ground. I don't consider 10 DPS to be thin at all when it comes to a kitchen knife but I can definitely see how many people would consider that to be something that might blow up in their hand (sarcasm). I have not seen reports of people even taking things below 10 DPS even with most any steel here.

I might put a micro-bevel on a kitchen knife at 10 DPS but for me 10 DPS with a substantial bevel feels like night and day compared to what I'm used to. I can see those types of steel holding up at 10 DPS just fine but where I'd be concerned is approaching the point of cutting that in half and making that an inclusive measurement. That would be especially true if one is willing to use a micro-bevel between 15-20 DPS or so as the main place you'll see damage is the apex assuming good technique in cutting is carefully assured. I will have to reprofile my BD1-N Minarai to 6 DPS and test but I'm not optimistic.
vivi

Post by vivi »

noedcbrobs, I agree with everything you wrote. I was just pointing out that these knives are readily available for folks that turn their nose up at white steel, etc.

Great points about the sharpening response of the steels you mentioned. ZDP is cool because of its combo of extreme edge holding paired with great sharpening response. Kind of sad it got phased out with Spyderco but to be fair there are other steels that work better for me in folders.
:unicorn