Looking for an improvised Yojimbo 'light.' Any suggestions?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Re: Looking for an improvised Yojimbo 'light.' Any suggestions?

Post by twinboysdad »

Stas wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:10 am
Ngati Pom wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:04 pm
ImageHave you considered the Jandelica or Jandura?
They are Mr Janich’s custom made reprofiled versions of the Delica and Endura.
The Kahr Arms Delica (above)was a model produced by Spyderco using the same profile.
Sadly I missed Kahr Arms Delica at the time... Would love Jandura, but there is no way I can get one in Europe.
I think Kahr needs to sign over the design if they do not intend to commission anymore
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Stas wrote:
Sadly I missed Kahr Arms Delica at the time... Would love Jandura, but there is no way I can get one in Europe.
5x5 Combat Solutions has the Jandura in stock and I think they ship to Europe. https://5x5combatsolutions.com/shop/ols ... om-jandura
-Turbo
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I don't see the point of buying shortened blades unless you have to because of your local laws. I think the Jandura was made just under 3.5 inches because of state law. Same deal with the Kahr arms Delica. Spyderco now offers wharncliffe blades from the factory in a variety of lengths that should suit anyone's needs or legalities.
Stas

Post by Stas »

spydergoat wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:26 am
I don't see the point of buying shortened blades unless you have to because of your local laws. I think the Jandura was made just under 3.5 inches because of state law. Same deal with the Kahr arms Delica. Spyderco now offers wharncliffe blades from the factory in a variety of lengths that should suit anyone's needs or legalities.
Agree ;) however I quite like the chopped tip idea (not shorten, just less rounded). Hope to get some sketches over the weekend of what could be done to a basic wharnie.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Stas

Post by Stas »

zuludelta wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:24 pm
Stas wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:15 am
Yojimbo 2 quickly became one of my favorite Spydercos in the mid-size category lately. However, I started thinking about alternatives for situations when I wear lightweight shorts or some nice chinos and need a knife with similar characteristics but a slightly slimmer profile and one that's less abrasive to the pockets.

Currently on my radar:

1. Delica 4 Wharncliffe – a big plus for me is that it comes with a trainer.
2. Rockjumper – no trainer, but the action should be good, and the FOMO is strong after Spyderco discontinued it.
3. Salt 2 Wharncliffe LC200N – the action might be the worst of all, but corrosion resistance is a significant advantage.
4. Microjimbo – could be a bit too small?
The Yojimbo 2 has been my preferred personal carry for years & I have it on me whenever possible, but it is a bit on the chunkier side for sure relative to a lot of other knives with a similar blade length. During times when I only have room to carry something lighter/slimmer but I still want a knife that can loosely approximate the Yojimbo 2's handling & doesn't give up too much edge length, I carry a regular (non-Wharncliffe) FFG Delica 4.

The reason I opt for the regular Delica 4 as my Yojimbo 2 alternative instead of the Delica 4 Wharncliffe is because with the way I preferentially grip the Delica handle, the tip of the blade on the Wharncliffe version projects at a lower angle than the tip on a Yojimbo 2, at least the way I normally hold it. It's just different enough that it feels slightly "off" to me when using the knife as a Yojimbo 2 substitute (I find this to be the case with the RockJumper as well). You could say that the Delica 4 Wharncliffe and RockJumper "index" differently from the Yojimbo 2 with regards to tip orientation vis-à-vis the handle. The tip on the regular Delica 4, on the other hand, projects out at almost the exact same angle from my gripping hand as the Yojimbo 2.

I am very much looking forward to the MicroJimbo, and depending on how much pocket real estate it takes up, it might replace the Delica 4 as my lighter Yo2 alternative.
Can I ask please, what is your preferred grip for D4? In other words, where is your thumb is located when you grip Delica 4? I just tried to grip my Pacific Salt with the thumb on the blade (to call it filipino is a big word from my side) and it feels like loosing control over the knife.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Stas wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:31 am
Hope to get some sketches over the weekend of what could be done to a basic wharnie.
https://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-end ... inish.html
Here's an example to look at for the Endura wharnie. I don't think they have removed much length if at all. I have seen some people did these at home also but not sure where. I think it was Evil D on this forum who did a nice regrind of a sheepsfoot caribbean- so not a wharnie but almost has straight cutting edge.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Stas wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:43 am
Can I ask please, what is your preferred grip for D4? In other words, where is your thumb is located when you grip Delica 4? I just tried to grip my Pacific Salt with the thumb on the blade (to call it filipino is a big word from my side) and it feels like loosing control over the knife.
I usually hold the Delica in a standard sabre grip, in contrast to the Filipino grip/modified sabre grip that I use with the Yojimbo 2. This places the Delica's tip roughly the same distance away from my hand, in the same position in space relative to the angle of the bottom of my palm (despite the Delica having a shorter & less broad blade blade & narrower handle than the Yojimbo 2). This results in very similar kinesthetics & makes it so I am less likely to misjudge piercing/cutting depth when I'm using the Delica 4 instead of my usual Yojimbo 2 (I mostly use the first 1.5" to 2" of the blade for my cutting tasks at work). The grip is slightly different, but the difference isn't so pronounced that it affects my cutting motion. Here are some images to illustrate what I mean:
IMG_20230825_135650_483.jpg
IMG_20230825_135704_217.jpg
IMG_20230825_135712_598.jpg
Note that if I did the same thing with a Delica 4 Wharncliffe, the tip would be way below where it would be if I were using a Yojimbo 2. I can raise the tip of the Delica 4 Wharncliffe by going from the standard sabre grip to the Filipino grip, but doing so would pull the entire blade back as well, meaning its tip wouldn't be the same distance from my hand as the tip of the Yojimbo 2. This is why I prefer the regular Delica 4 as a lighter, slimmer Yojimbo 2 substitute over the Delica 4 Wharncliffe.

All that said, my hand could be very different from yours, and how you cut could be very different, none of what I just wrote may be applicable to your context.

An aside: I know in his book Knife Fighting: A Practical Course, Michael Janich suggests putting one's thumb over the spine to prevent it being jammed against a crossguard (or in the Delica's case, the thumb ramp) in case the knife accidentally strikes an unyielding surface during a forward thrust, but that isn't something I worry about outside a defensive context. When just using the Delica for work, my cutting tasks mostly involve slicing things held in the off hand, making draw cuts, and making pull cuts, and almost never any real forceful thrusts.
Stas

Post by Stas »

zuludelta wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:43 pm
Stas wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:43 am
I usually hold the Delica in a standard sabre grip, in contrast to the Filipino grip/modified sabre grip that I use with the Yojimbo 2. This places the Delica's tip roughly the same distance away from my hand, in the same position in space relative to the angle of the bottom of my palm (despite the Delica having a shorter & less broad blade blade & narrower handle than the Yojimbo 2). This results in very similar kinesthetics & makes it so I am less likely to misjudge piercing/cutting depth when I'm using the Delica 4 instead of my usual Yojimbo 2 (I mostly use the first 1.5" to 2" of the blade for my cutting tasks at work). The grip is slightly different, but the difference isn't so pronounced that it affects my cutting motion. Here are some images to illustrate what I mean:
IMG_20230825_135650_483.jpg
IMG_20230825_135704_217.jpg
IMG_20230825_135712_598.jpg

Note that if I did the same thing with a Delica 4 Wharncliffe, the tip would be way below where it would be if I were using a Yojimbo 2. I can raise the tip of the Delica 4 Wharncliffe by going from the standard sabre grip to the Filipino grip, but doing so would pull the entire blade back as well, meaning its tip wouldn't be the same distance from my hand as the tip of the Yojimbo 2. This is why I prefer the regular Delica 4 as a lighter, slimmer Yojimbo 2 substitute over the Delica 4 Wharncliffe.

All that said, my hand could be very different from yours, and how you cut could be very different, none of what I just wrote may be applicable to your context.

An aside: I know in his book Knife Fighting: A Practical Course, Michael Janich suggests putting one's thumb over the spine to prevent it being jammed against a crossguard (or in the Delica's case, the thumb ramp) in case the knife accidentally strikes an unyielding surface during a forward thrust, but that isn't something I worry about outside a defensive context. When just using the Delica for work, my cutting tasks mostly involve slicing things held in the off hand, making draw cuts, and making pull cuts, and almost never any real forceful thrusts.
Oh wow, thank you for such explanation. Now I see what you mean. Totally make sense!
phaust

Post by phaust »

Stas wrote:
Ngati Pom wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:04 pm
ImageHave you considered the Jandelica or Jandura?
They are Mr Janich’s custom made reprofiled versions of the Delica and Endura.
The Kahr Arms Delica (above)was a model produced by Spyderco using the same profile.
Mr Janich still sells them, just via 5x5 Combat Solutions now
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

This message is featured prominently on 5x5 Combat Solutions home page -

“**ATTENTION: INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS**
Due to ongoing pandemic related issues with international shipments, we will no longer accept international orders effective immediately. All international orders that have not yet been shipped to customers will have their money refunded and the orders will be cancelled.”
-Nick :bug-red
Stas

Post by Stas »

spydergoat wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:53 am
Stas wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:31 am
Hope to get some sketches over the weekend of what could be done to a basic wharnie.
https://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-end ... inish.html
Here's an example to look at for the Endura wharnie. I don't think they have removed much length if at all. I have seen some people did these at home also but not sure where. I think it was Evil D on this forum who did a nice regrind of a sheepsfoot caribbean- so not a wharnie but almost has straight cutting edge.
Thank you! I remember Evil D'd mod. Made me think about sheepfoot instead of leaf..
viewtopic.php?t=94470#p1701525
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

Grinding a Delica etc. to a Kahr shaped blade is not hard. It can be done with a Dremel tool.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Just make sure you keep the blade cool with water ever so often.
Attachments
046252C5-6678-4376-9054-354CF555ED5D.jpeg
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Stas

Post by Stas »

Dodge wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:47 pm
Just make sure you keep the blade cool with water ever so often.
Great result! Thanks for sharing.
Stas

Post by Stas »

Thank you once again, everyone, for the good suggestions and rationalizing. I (unexpectedly, even to myself) find myself leaning towards the Pacific Salt 2 in LC200N. Thanks, Ladybug93, for reminding me about it :)

Here are a few reasons:
  • It's easier to draw and deploy than the D4/Salt 2.
  • I'm already familiar with the platform, owning a few Enduras, including a Trainer.
    I also have a Pacific Salt 2 in H1, and the action is quite good.
  • I can legally carry one, and in most cases, a bigger blade is better. I can't imagine a situation or outfit where I might find the Pacific Salt 2 too big and needing a few centimeters shorter knife.