Just a pocket knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tgmr05

Re: Just a pocket knife

Post by Tgmr05 »

Nice knife. Simple, yet very useful. I remove the clips off any knife I truly pocket carry, as well. I was very happy when spyderco upgraded to removable carry clips instead of molded into the handle. The delica and native are the largest sizes I pocket carry, anything larger I tend to leave the clip on. I prefer less clutter and value the space savings of clipless carry when loose in the pocket. Simplicity, space savings, and not having to worry about anything getting caught or hung up on the clip is nice. Options, great to have.

I am looking forward to the ukpk magnacut when it arrives. I like the one handed opening option, but would be happy without it, as well. It does bring back memories..
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Tgmr05 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:58 am
Nice knife. Simple, yet very useful. I remove the clips off any knife I truly pocket carry, as well. I was very happy when spyderco upgraded to removable carry clips instead of molded into the handle. The delica and native are the largest sizes I pocket carry, anything larger I tend to leave the clip on. I prefer less clutter and value the space savings of clipless carry when loose in the pocket. Simplicity, space savings, and not having to worry about anything getting caught or hung up on the clip is nice. Options, great to have.

I am looking forward to the ukpk magnacut when it arrives. I like the one handed opening option, but would be happy without it, as well. It does bring back memories..
That about sums it up.

I didn't mention that I also carry one of my UKPKs. I go back and forth because they are all so great. Simple and clutter free, nothing fancy. (although I wouldn't complain about polished FRN or G10).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I have deep appreciate any “Caly-ish” type designs like this one. sals philosophy behind this family of designs for pocket knives is simply functional, slim, and versatile, and they all hold up to that intent.
:bug-red-white
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:31 am
The amount of times an old Delica gets picked over so many better flashy spyderco knives. It’s like a don’t want to think knife as I’m heading out the door. (Usually keep 5-6 knives in a bowl near the door)

I have had all of the popular models and I carry a Delica or Endela daily. They are perfection. I love the feel and texture of the Seki FRN, I love the backlock, the jimping, the Boye dents, etc. I am pretty bummed about the discontinuation of a lot of the Delica/Salt Wharnie blade as those are the main models I reach for on a daily basis. I have been loading up on backups in these clearance sales though.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
z1r

Post by z1r »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:04 am
standy99 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:31 am
The amount of times an old Delica gets picked over so many better flashy spyderco knives. It’s like a don’t want to think knife as I’m heading out the door. (Usually keep 5-6 knives in a bowl near the door)

I have had all of the popular models and I carry a Delica or Endela daily. They are perfection. I love the feel and texture of the Seki FRN, I love the backlock, the jimping, the Boye dents, etc. I am pretty bummed about the discontinuation of a lot of the Delica/Salt Wharnie blade as those are the main models I reach for on a daily basis. I have been loading up on backups in these clearance sales though.
Smart man!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:58 am
I get the feeling here but I don't understand the shot against pocket clips and one handed opening. What you do with your knife is your business, but why remove the clip? Its better to have it and not need it, right? You can keep the clip on the knife and not use it. Same goes for the spyder hole. You never know when you need to open a knife with one hand. And again, better to have it and not need it.

Like I said, I get the sentiment. I too yearn for the old days. But I just don't understand why you're calling out packet clips and thumb holes 🤷‍♂️
I didn't take it as he was "calling out" pocket clips and thumbholes. He just likes that this knife doesn't have them

As far as the no clip thing...the clip adds extra thickness. If I intend to drop the drop the knife in the bottom of my pocket the clip's coming off because I'd much prefer the knife to be thinner. That's one if the reasons I'd never put a clip on something like a Manbug because I don't want it to be any thicker than it is
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tristan_david2001

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:09 pm
I get the feeling here but I don't understand the shot against pocket clips and one handed opening. What you do with your knife is your business, but why remove the clip? Its better to have it and not need it, right? You can keep the clip on the knife and not use it. Same goes for the spyder hole. You never know when you need to open a knife with one hand. And again, better to have it and not need it.

Like I said, I get the sentiment. I too yearn for the old days. But I just don't understand why you're calling out packet clips and thumb holes 🤷‍♂️
I didn't take it as he was "calling out" pocket clips and thumbholes. He just likes that this knife doesn't have them

As far as the no clip thing...the clip adds extra thickness. If I intend to drop the drop the knife in the bottom of my pocket the clip's coming off because I'd much prefer the knife to be thinner. That's one if the reasons I'd never put a clip on something like a Manbug because I don't want it to be any thicker than it is
I think it was the part about somewhat implying that thumbholes and pocket clips are fancy-stuff. When they’re really 2 of the most simplest features that Spyderco pioneered on a pocket knife, by now they’re pretty simple and standard knife design features thanks to spyderco
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I don't think Dan was implying that they are too fancy or even fancy at all. I think he was just commenting on the joy of simplicity.

I will say, my recent acquired UKPK is pretty dang simple to carry around and use and it is a joy to hold. I even appreciate the no lock and don't find myself missing it when I'm using it. Occasionally, I'll even throw a simple slip joint in the pocket clipless. The ones you have to use two hands to operate. Variety is nice and it is great to enjoy the simple ones.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:42 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:

I think it was the part about somewhat implying that thumbholes and pocket clips are fancy-stuff. When they’re really 2 of the most simplest features that Spyderco pioneered on a pocket knife, by now they’re pretty simple and standard knife design features thanks to spyderco
Ok whatever. I think you guys are reading more into Dan's post than what's actually there. He likes the simplicity of the Spy-DK. That's it. I'm sure he's had plenty of Spyderco models with all the "fancy-stuff". He posted that he likes a Spyderco offering without all that. I can relate to that and don't see it as a problem. I don't have a SPY-DK but I sure do like my UKPKs
Tristan_david2001

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:43 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:42 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:

Ok whatever. I think you guys are reading more into Dan's post than what's actually there. He likes the simplicity of the Spy-DK. That's it. I'm sure he's had plenty of Spyderco models with all the "fancy-stuff". He posted that he likes a Spyderco offering without all that. I can relate to that and don't see it as a problem. I don't have a SPY-DK but I sure do like my UKPKs
I wasn’t seeing the way he worded it as a problem either, but I could understand where he was coming from because when I read the post I initially didn’t understand how lack of thumb hole especially makes any more simplistic of a knife. That’s all. Sorry if it felt I was throwing any heat
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ all good, no heat taken lol
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Maybe I worded it badly but not, I didn't say it as offensive or anything. It's just that those are the two features that make Spyderco Spyderco, ya know? Sharp guy got it right, I guess I interpreted it as Dan thinking the clip and hole are unnecessary and fancy, whereas I see them as necessity

Again, no offense to the op at all. It's his knife and it's none of my business what he does with his knives. I guess it just sorta blows my mind that someone would gravitate towards Spyder then not want the very things Spyder is famous for. It's like going to a really good coffee shop and ordering a cup of milk and sugar, hold the coffee 😂 it just surprised me that's all
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Murphy Slaw wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:33 am
I like 'em all.

And multi-tools.
Me too and flashlights 😉
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Most days I carry a :bug-red Slip-it as my main knife. As they cover most of my needs.
I appreciate their simplicity.
On weekends etc. I’ll add a Salt or other lockable folder depending on the ‘mission’. :smlling-eyes
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Sharp Guy wrote:

Yep.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:36 pm
I don't think Dan was implying that they are too fancy or even fancy at all. I think he was just commenting on the joy of simplicity.

I will say, my recent acquired UKPK is pretty dang simple to carry around and use and it is a joy to hold. I even appreciate the no lock and don't find myself missing it when I'm using it. Occasionally, I'll even throw a simple slip joint in the pocket clipless. The ones you have to use two hands to operate. Variety is nice and it is great to enjoy the simple ones.
You got it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ngati Pom wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:32 pm
Most days I carry a :bug-red Slip-it as my main knife. As they cover most of my needs.
I appreciate their simplicity.
On weekends etc. I’ll add a Salt or other lockable folder depending on the ‘mission’. :smlling-eyes
I understand that. Today I had an orange SPY-DK in my watch pocket and an orange Manix 2LW in the other because I was going somewhere that I might have needed the larger knife.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I remove most of mine as they go in dedicated zip close knife pockets in my work trousers, plus they are not hugely pleasant to have digging into your palm after two hours of cutting. Today I pruned back about 200 linear meters of invasive creepers that were trying to swamp my fruit forest boundary. My Carribean SE sans clip and my Silky Billhook were a winning team. I made the mistake last year of doing the same task with a manix XL with its clip on and my hand was sore as **** afterwards where the clip had been rubbing and causing a pressure spot.

YMMV, but I find a folder sans clip eminently preferable to one with it on for anything more strenuous than opening a parcel.
Last edited by JoviAl on Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:58 pm
Murphy Slaw wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:33 am
I like 'em all.

And multi-tools.
Me too and flashlights 😉
Just had to do it, didn't ya....
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I think people are missing the Clip-It’s objective.

Attaching your knife to the rim of your pocket frees up the bottom for all the other EDC stuff a clipless Spydie would obstruct.

The EDC Forum, if not entire industries, has Sal to thank.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”