Subvert Sprint CF/20CV!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Re: Subvert Sprint CF/20CV!

Post by Fireman »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:00 am
Fireman wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:13 pm
I am digging how much better it carry’s now being thinner. The clip does not get in the way like before. I had to find some shorter screws but it’s working great in its slimmer guise.

Oh god no! The horror! I don’t think I’ll ever be able to un-see this. I mean, if you are happy, great but yikes. Maybe this knife just isn’t for you if the thickness bugs you.

Side note: if you want to ditch the washers you could always mod the pivot barrel to be shorter.
Yeah, I’m considering getting a second set of pivot hardware so I can run with and without the scales. I don’t want to shorten them yet because you can’t go back yada yada yada

Ugly is in the thighs of the beholden. I kinda dig the minimalist industrial look of it right now but with a second set of pivot yada yada yada

I’m down with the thickness, (extra credit if you know that song where I stole the pun from) it just carries so much better for me without the scales.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
BigFishShamu

Post by BigFishShamu »

Praying DLT still has them by next paycheck 🤣. I’d be just as happy with the orange S30V one, too!
“Stepping into the ring was the fight.”
Blue Blood75

Post by Blue Blood75 »

https://i.imgur.com/BXFBIzz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Q7YjJmT.jpg

Hey all, I noticed some roughness where the flats meet the bevels on my example. It’s mostly just my pickiness, but I guess I’m not feeling it, esp for the price.
Is this an issue with only with the sprint runs, or does the normal production Subvert have this as well?
I’d definitely consider exchanging the sprint for a normal one if their blade is ground better.
Thanks
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Really enjoying mine!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Blue Blood75 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:50 am
https://i.imgur.com/BXFBIzz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Q7YjJmT.jpg

Hey all, I noticed some roughness where the flats meet the bevels on my example. It’s mostly just my pickiness, but I guess I’m not feeling it, esp for the price.
Is this an issue with only with the sprint runs, or does the normal production Subvert have this as well?
I’d definitely consider exchanging the sprint for a normal one if their blade is ground better.
Thanks
I wonder if the roughness you mention is actually additional grinding to put some shape into the flats (to lessen BTE?), thus making them not flat, as on my sample. I take this contouring to be part of the design and, yes, another reason for the higher cost.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

When I saw the custom versions with the flipper tab/fingerguard, I thought that was what this knife needs.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

shunsui wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:16 pm
When I saw the custom versions with the flipper tab/fingerguard, I thought that was what this knife needs.
I would love a front and top flipper on this
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Spine whack test. Has anyone done a sine whack test on the Subvert? I got a wild hair and tried it. It failed after a few whacks on three attempts. I love my subvert and was wanting to see its limits. If you try this test, please use caution. I would like to hear others input on this so it’s not just my one data point.
Shmohawk

Post by Shmohawk »

Fireman wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:40 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:00 am
Fireman wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:13 pm
I am digging how much better it carry’s now being thinner. The clip does not get in the way like before. I had to find some shorter screws but it’s working great in its slimmer guise.

Oh god no! The horror! I don’t think I’ll ever be able to un-see this. I mean, if you are happy, great but yikes. Maybe this knife just isn’t for you if the thickness bugs you.

Side note: if you want to ditch the washers you could always mod the pivot barrel to be shorter.
Yeah, I’m considering getting a second set of pivot hardware so I can run with and without the scales. I don’t want to shorten them yet because you can’t go back yada yada yada

Ugly is in the thighs of the beholden. I kinda dig the minimalist industrial look of it right now but with a second set of pivot yada yada yada

I’m down with the thickness, (extra credit if you know that song where I stole the pun from) it just carries so much better for me without the scales.
All I’ll say is that Liquid Cobra seems very *Disturbed* by what you’ve done.
I’ll take a mystery box as my prize. Thanks.
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:17 pm
Spine whack test. Has anyone done a sine whack test on the Subvert? I got a wild hair and tried it. It failed after a few whacks on three attempts. I love my subvert and was wanting to see its limits. If you try this test, please use caution. I would like to hear others input on this so it’s not just my one data point.
I took your suggestion and advice and wore a leather work glove and wrapped a towel around my hand before spine whacking. I whacked it pretty hard numerous times without failure and with no lock stick. I'll give it a "pass". I don't plan on whacking this big beauty and feel that the lockup is secure enough for what regular work, if any, I'll do with it. I just love carrying it, and it's sharp as ****! I must've got lucky with this one.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Team Sick wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:32 am
Fireman wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:17 pm
I took your suggestion and advice and wore a leather work glove and wrapped a towel around my hand before spine whacking. I whacked it pretty hard numerous times without failure and with no lock stick. I'll give it a "pass". I don't plan on whacking this big beauty and feel that the lockup is secure enough for what regular work, if any, I'll do with it. I just love carrying it, and it's sharp as ****! I must've got lucky with this one.
Good to hear. I don’t plan on battoning with it but was doing some training (fidgeting) with it and noticed when I throw the knife behind me to open it the blade being so stout it jumped the lock for a moment a few times before locking back in. That made me think of the spine whack test. I was considering stiffening the lock bar pressure.

PS. Is anybody running the knife without scales? I really like it.
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

Tell me if I’m not thinking of something, but what exactly does the spine whack test do that translates to real world? Seems you’d never actually put pressure on the blade that way unless you are using your other hand to push down on it. In that case there’s not a safety issue, same with batoning if you ever chose to use your knife that way
vivi

Post by vivi »

Slicing thick cardboard, blade hangs up, and you pull it out to adjust. I've made a cheap liner lock fail that way.

Using the spine of a knife to scrape things that would damage the cutting edge, like starting a fire with a ferro rod.

Using the spine of a knife to lift a hot pot handle and remove the pot from a fire.

etc.
:unicorn
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Available now at Blades Canada for anyone interested!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Drubieg wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:05 pm
Tell me if I’m not thinking of something, but what exactly does the spine whack test do that translates to real world? Seems you’d never actually put pressure on the blade that way unless you are using your other hand to push down on it. In that case there’s not a safety issue, same with batoning if you ever chose to use your knife that way
A solid lock up tells me how much abuse and oomph I can put on the knife.
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

Now that all makes sense. I’m realizing my blade use scenarios either don’t include those things or my initial lack of trust in locks would prevent me from using folding knives that way
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Drubieg wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:05 pm
vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:44 pm
Slicing thick cardboard, blade hangs up, and you pull it out to adjust. I've made a cheap liner lock fail that way.

Using the spine of a knife to scrape things that would damage the cutting edge, like starting a fire with a ferro rod.

Using the spine of a knife to lift a hot pot handle and remove the pot from a fire.

etc.
Would like to add that I routinely spine-whack my EDC Amalgam on new jars of food, to break the seal around the lid edge, makes them way easier to open.

Not sure I'll ever do that with my Subvert, it's too pretty haha. But if I did, I want to be able to trust that the lock will hold up to that use, and that beautiful heavy blade won't fall shut like an axe and remove half my fingers...

There are definitely some real-world applications for people putting pressure on their knife in a closing direction. :bug-red-white
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

Used the spine of my k390 endela wharncliffe the other day to ream some conduit in a pinch at work. Lol I have now experienced a situation where it is sometimes necessary put pressure on the blade in the closing position. Worked pretty well I might add
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

My spine got out a whack the other day. 🤣