Manix 2 more popular than Paramilitary 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Studiousworkman

Manix 2 more popular than Paramilitary 2?

Post by Studiousworkman »

Hello everyone,

I am curious of your thoughts on this topic. It might just be me, but, I believe the Manix has been selling and gaining more popularity than normal lately. The Manix has been a favorite of mine for years but it seems like many are just catching on to how good it really is. It looks like it's receiving more attention and notoriety from others than every before, potentially enough to rival the Paramilitary 2. I would love to your feedback guys.

Thank you kindly!
Erion929

Re: Manix 2 more popular than Paramilitary 2?

Post by Erion929 »

Studiousworkman wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:12 pm
Hello everyone,

I am curious of your thoughts on this topic. It might just be me, but, I believe the Manix has been selling and gaining more popularity than normal lately. The Manix has been a favorite of mine for years but it seems like many are just catching on to how good it really is. It looks like it's receiving more attention and notoriety from others than every before, potentially enough to rival the Paramilitary 2. I would love to your feedback guys.

Thank you kindly!

I’m newer to Spyderco, but in MY 4 months of reading and searching for Spyderco favorites….I’d agree.

It has become my favorite….and in my daily, hourly, and by-the-minute searches in knife sales I see Manixes grabbed up more than twice as fast as PM2s. I thought I’d love the Shaman, but it was in and out of my hands in a week…no thanks.

However, it could also just be that “everyone” has their fill of PM2s already.

Of my 9 Spydercos, 4 are Manix….S30V, Cruwear, 20CV, and M390. There’s one more I’m looking for….you know which one 😅
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

As much as I like the Manix 2 I'd find hard to believe it's more popular than the iconic Paramilitary 2 in general
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

No it’s not.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
benben

Post by benben »

I personally like the Manix more, but it’s not more popular than the PM2!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Obviously I’m a Manix fan since first came out , but do have some PM2 . I favor the Manix but think the PM2 is a fine knife. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

No idea which one is more popular, but I also prefer the Manix 2 over the PM2, not that either isn't a great knife.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Say what?

Peter
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

I sold all of my PM2 a while ago because I have framelock Militaries.
The Manix 2 on the other hand...5 and counting 😬
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I currently have more PM2s than I do Manixes, Manixi... But I like the Manix more. 🤷
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Studiousworkman

Yes, it certainly is a staple for sure. I'm sure the one you're looking for is the one that everyone wants another batch of lol. 15V I presume? :cheap-sunglasses

Erion929 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:54 am
Studiousworkman wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:12 pm
Hello everyone,

Thank you kindly!

I’m newer to Spyderco, but in MY 4 months of reading and searching for Spyderco favorites….I’d agree.

It has become my favorite….and in my daily, hourly, and by-the-minute searches in knife sales I see Manixes grabbed up more than twice as fast as PM2s. I thought I’d love the Shaman, but it was in and out of my hands in a week…no thanks.

However, it could also just be that “everyone” has their fill of PM2s already.

Of my 9 Spydercos, 4 are Manix….S30V, Cruwear, 20CV, and M390. There’s one more I’m looking for….you know which one 😅
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Buck knives are more popular than Spyderco.
Hyundai automobiles are more popular than McLaren.
McDonalds is more popular than the French Laundry.

Is the M2 more popular than the PM2?
Ahdunno. They're both pretty cool. I'd give up my PM2's before I'd give up my M2's, but only the crack analysts on the Spyderco marketing team can tell us which is the most popular.
Studiousworkman

Kudos :respect
Ditto as well lol

gooeytek wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:02 pm
I sold all of my PM2 a while ago because I have framelock Militaries.
The Manix 2 on the other hand...5 and counting 😬
Studiousworkman

I sold all my PM2s because the compression lock always had the slightest bit of blade play; my ball bearing locks on the Manixes? Not even a hint. I love the drop point/leaf shape blade and the ergos are excellent. If only they made a CQI version 3 with rounded and contoured handle scales :smiling-heart-eyes

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:21 pm
Buck knives are more popular than Spyderco.
Hyundai automobiles are more popular than McLaren.
McDonalds is more popular than the French Laundry.

Is the M2 more popular than the PM2?
Ahdunno. They're both pretty cool. I'd give up my PM2's before I'd give up my M2's, but only the crack analysts on the Spyderco marketing team can tell us which is the most popular.
thuyenbuom

Post by thuyenbuom »

For EDC (light to medium duty) I usually grab a Manix 2 LW FRCP going out the door. That is because the Manix 2 seems lighter & grippier than the PM2 in G-10. Perhaps the Manix 2 feels lighter because of the nested liners & non-steel backspacers. For a harder duty task I prefer to use a Paramilitary 2 in G-10. Popularity for me depends on the task at hand :smlling-eyes
Necromonger: What do you think of this blade?
Riddick: I think it is a half gram heavy on the back end.

The Chronicles of Riddick - Blade Scene
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don't think the manix is more popular. i think people just have pm2 fatigue after the crazy run of variants. i think a lot of people have been turned off of spyderco, complaining of a lack of innovation (which is laughable when talking about spyderco) because of the many exclusive variants. i think many of those people were the type that just liked flipping their pm2 while watching their favorite youtube tabletop "reviewers".

i guess what i'm trying to say is that the pm2 has more general appeal to a wider audience, but manix is king and it's fans are more likely to be aficionados that weren't just swayed by watching videos of someone playing with the knife instead of using it.

before someone gets mad... i'm not saying the pm2 is a bad design or a bad knife at all. it's a great knife. i'm just saying the youtube sensation is probably largely responsible for the pm2 having a surge in popularity that seems to have faded a bit.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I think they are similar in popularity and both are amazing knives. But my choice is the Manix over the Para all day everyday.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

apollo wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:53 pm
I think they are similar in popularity and both are amazing knives. But my choice is the Manix over the Para all day everyday.
For some odd reason I knew you would make a Post appearance! 😂 Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Studiousworkman wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:31 pm
I sold all my PM2s because the compression lock always had the slightest bit of blade play; my ball bearing locks on the Manixes? Not even a hint.
I just grabbed 3 of my PM2s out of one of my knife boxes and all three are solid. No play at all. I'm pretty sure the rest I have are the same. The first Manix 2 I grabbed (grey/52100/DLC) had a little blade play. :winking-tongue The other M2 G10s I have are solid and I'm sure I can adjust the pivot on the first one to have no play too. My point is any of these can have a tiny bit of play. It's usually pretty easy to adjust out
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
kobold

Post by kobold »

I have one of each and I like them, I customized them, but see no reason to buy more. I am waiting for a SE Manix 2 XL, Native Chief or a liner lock Military in 15V and Magnacut.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10