Crossing the Canada Border with a knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tangent

Re: Crossing the Canada Border with a knife?

Post by tangent »

huyfishin wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:36 pm
they can take any folder even if its stiff as heck they will open it 80% of the way and flick the rest and its still considered illegal to bring in. Law is wack. We are allowed to have them but we are not allowed to bring them in from across the border. Yet our knife dealers and suppliers are able to bring them in with no issues. I just don't understand
I don’t think you’re supposed to understand. It’s about control, not common sense. Scares me to see what is happening to our neighbors to the north.
les_garten

Post by les_garten »

huyfishin wrote:
they can take any folder even if its stiff as heck they will open it 80% of the way and flick the rest and its still considered illegal to bring in. Law is wack. We are allowed to have them but we are not allowed to bring them in from across the border. Yet our knife dealers and suppliers are able to bring them in with no issues. I just don't understand
I would like to bring Some Salts like you have in your sig. I would be going to fish. But my favorite fishing knives can't go with me. Maybe as a fixed blade?

I don'r usually comment on another Countries laws because they have the right to make up whatever laws they want.

Canada must Love these laws because they keep electing the people who make them.

If Canada wasn't between me and Alaska, I wouldn't give a Flip, do what you want.

It seems the only solution is Invasion, we need to got to war with Canada to annex the Western provinces. I don't think we will have many problems with this mission. We just got to deal with some Bears, Moose, and all the hot Women in Vancouver. I think the men will understand we are liberating them. Except for the Soy Drinkers that run the place of course...
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

les_garten wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:43 pm
huyfishin wrote:
I would like to bring Some Salts like you have in your sig. I would be going to fish. But my favorite fishing knives can't go with me. Maybe as a fixed blade?

I don'r usually comment on another Countries laws because they have the right to make up whatever laws they want.

Canada must Love these laws because they keep electing the people who make them.

If Canada wasn't between me and Alaska, I wouldn't give a Flip, do what you want.

It seems the only solution is Invasion, we need to got to war with Canada to annex the Western provinces. I don't think we will have many problems with this mission. We just got to deal with some Bears, Moose, and all the hot Women in Vancouver. I think the men will understand we are liberating them. Except for the Soy Drinkers that run the place of course...
100% bring any fixed blade and you wont have any issue.
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

huyfishin wrote:
I was told that the larger dealers have business firearms licences that allow importation of prohibited items. Then they are sold legally as they are only considered prohibited by CBSA.

Most knives still make it across though.. we only hear about the ones that are taken.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Good timing on this topic. My family and I are planning a trip to Banff in Alberta in the very near future and I was concerned about bringing a knife into Canada by car. I did some research online and even searched the CSBA’s website, but I couldn’t find a definitive set of rules regarding knives. So, I called the CSBA on Tuesday of this week and I talked with them about what is permissible to bring across the border in terms of pocket knives. The CSBA agent told me that it should be permissible to bring a slip-joint pocket knife across the Canadian border (such as a Victorinox, Case, Old Timer, etc.) so as long as the blade could not be “flicked” out with wrist action. Right off the bat, the agent asked what I was planning to use the knife for. I told her it was primarily for food prep, since we pack a lot of our own food for lunch while we’re traveling. She said “Yes, that is fine. But if you need a knife for that [food prep], have you thought about bringing a fixed blade? There are no restrictions on those.” (I am aware that Canada does not allow any knives to be carried for the purpose of self-defense). She said that agents at the border have the final say and can still confiscate any folding knife that they deem to be unsafe, etc.
In light of this conversation, I will likely bring a Victorinox Sportsman or a Benchmade Proper with me. I also ordered an Esee Candiru, which is a small fixed blade that has a separate pocket clip attachment for the sheath so I can just clip it to my pocket or belt. Anyway, just wanted to share this since I had the same question.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

May plan a trip in the next couple of years that would bring us across the border. Is a UKPK ok to cross with?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:56 am
May plan a trip in the next couple of years that would bring us across the border. Is a UKPK ok to cross with?
Based on the conversation I had with the CSBA agent this past week, it sounds like it would be iffy on even a UKPK because they might be able to flick the blade out. (They are looking for any pocket knives--locking or otherwise--that can be partially opened and then "flicked" out to the full open position. If they can make the knife do that, then it sounds like they will confiscate it). A Roadie or even a Pingo would be a safer choice. However, at the end of the day, the agent at the border has the final say and can ultimately decide to confiscate the knife if they want to... so it may be a good idea to only carry what you can live without in case they decide to take it.

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Good to know. Thanks Michael!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:23 pm
Good to know. Thanks Michael!
You're welcome! :) (Of course my darling wife suggested this evening that I just leave my knives at home. :squinting-tongue I said, 'Of course you know me better than that.' :rofl )

Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Traditionals with nail nick opening seem to fly under the radar with most authorities. Swiss Army knives are well-accepted in Europe and the USA.
syfy

Post by syfy »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:24 am
Good timing on this topic. My family and I are planning a trip to Banff in Alberta in the very near future and I was concerned about bringing a knife into Canada by car. I did some research online and even searched the CSBA’s website, but I couldn’t find a definitive set of rules regarding knives. So, I called the CSBA on Tuesday of this week and I talked with them about what is permissible to bring across the border in terms of pocket knives. The CSBA agent told me that it should be permissible to bring a slip-joint pocket knife across the Canadian border (such as a Victorinox, Case, Old Timer, etc.) so as long as the blade could not be “flicked” out with wrist action. Right off the bat, the agent asked what I was planning to use the knife for. I told her it was primarily for food prep, since we pack a lot of our own food for lunch while we’re traveling. She said “Yes, that is fine. But if you need a knife for that [food prep], have you thought about bringing a fixed blade? There are no restrictions on those.” (I am aware that Canada does not allow any knives to be carried for the purpose of self-defense). She said that agents at the border have the final say and can still confiscate any folding knife that they deem to be unsafe, etc.
In light of this conversation, I will likely bring a Victorinox Sportsman or a Benchmade Proper with me. I also ordered an Esee Candiru, which is a small fixed blade that has a separate pocket clip attachment for the sheath so I can just clip it to my pocket or belt. Anyway, just wanted to share this since I had the same question.
My understanding of Canadian law is that practically ANY knife used in self defense is illegal. It's intent. If you have any knife that is actually useful for self defense, even if you are attacked, you're braking Canadian law. Sure, switchblades, gravity knives, push knives, belt buckle knives, etc are all outright banned, but a blade longer than 3.5" is as well. Serrated blades and a hole in the blade would indicate negative intent as well. A pen knife might be acceptable. BUT better alive and indicted than dead and legal. Would that make a good bumper sticker?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear syfy:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

The wife and I went on a long trip last year. Gettysburg, Hershey, almost all the New England states, Acadia, and Niagara Falls. We would occasionally sleep in the F-150. I had a gun and a knife. When they ask at Niagara Falls crossing if I had any weapons I said no.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp