A Month Without Spyderco: Thoughts & Observations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Re: A Month Without Spyderco: Thoughts & Observations

Post by Fireman »

I’m looking forward to the expansion of Golden so we can see more of these knives made in the US. I see Spyderco taking a different approach to making knives with using various countries as well and it seems to be going well.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

RamZar wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:58 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:25 pm
I dare not carry any blade flying or into monuments, so it’s been a bladeless SAK this week…

Bladeless SAK!?

SAK was my introduction to folding knives and I’ve lost many throughout the years and still have many.
The mighty Jetsetter! I bought a Cybertool & Picnicker in the hold luggage, though.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Apart from when I have had to enter restricted places, I have always had a knife of some sort on or near me in a backpack etc.
Obviously airplanes have had me place an edge or two in hold luggage.

If I am entering a restricted place, I normally leave the edge in my vehicle and so I never have to "surrender" to door staff or security, and possibly not get it back.

Sometimes my EDC is something small, like a Manbug that Sal sent me, or a Yojimbo 2 or ancient FRN Endura that looks like a Delica blade swapped place with the Endura blade when I was sleeping. :)

Steel type does not bother me, as I always have a simple sharpening system on me in my wallet or Go-Bag.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:08 am
RamZar wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:
I dare not carry any blade flying or into monuments, so it’s been a bladeless SAK this week…
Bladeless SAK!?

SAK was my introduction to folding knives and I’ve lost many throughout the years and still have many.
The mighty Jetsetter! I bought a Cybertool & Picnicker in the hold luggage, though.

Nice! The SAK Jetsetter is allowed through TSA even with scissors? Victorinox calls it “Your bladeless and flight-friendly companion”.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

RamZar wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:49 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:08 am
RamZar wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:
Bladeless SAK!?

Nice! The SAK Jetsetter is allowed through TSA even with scissors? Victorinox calls it “Your bladeless and flight-friendly companion”.
So far so good on flights …. (touches wood).

Tbh it’s so tiny it may just be getting lost in the mix in the bottom of my bag. Also, monument security here in Venice is slack - putting visitors through airline scanners but not their bags🙄.
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

I mostly find the whole discussion on chinese made knives driven mainly by bias and underbelly feelings iso objective testing. If we are talking about issues not delivering the steel type or hardness as advertised, just look back what happenned at Bark River knives. I own 2 Bark River knives and really love them, but their reputation got a bit tarnished. I own multiple chinese knives, including WE knives, Reate and Civivi. I love the fit and finish of my Chaves 229 kickstop. I also love my WE knife subjugator and Roxi 3. I even own a Shiro which is from a country of which i'm not particularly fond of, but that's got nothing to do with the greatness of Shirogorov knives.
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

A month without my super reliable Spyderco blades!!!! Unthinkable!!! I would even go as far as to say that is Pure blasphemy!!

It's like I've said and believed for many years now>>> If It Ain't Broke Then By All Means Please Don't Try To Fix It!!!

Cutting Tools and sharpening tools made by the Great Spyder Factory have fulfilled all my needs in that arena for almost 3 decades now and I don't even want to think about changing now.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Great post with reflections I can relate to, zuludelta.

I have nothing against the Chinese. I do have some concerns about how responsibly they operate with regards to HSE, wages/work compensation, IP, sourcing, waste handling, product support, etc. I think it's fair to assume that Chinese mfg's comes out worse on average than most other countries. That's not to say any country is without their bad apples and every mfg within each country is different, so ideally no Mfg should be judged simply by which country they operate in.

China has their own problems to deal with and I don't want to see them fail. Not as a country and specifically not the responsible part of their knife industry. Nothing good will come from that.

My biggest reason to avoid chinese products whenever I can is to support the (knife) industry in other countries. The closer to home, the better. As much as I want Chinese industry to survive, I don't want to be dependent on them. Preserving manufacturing skills and culture wherever it exists is important on so many levels, not to mention the importance of a redundant and diverse supply chain.

And the biggest reason it has been quite easy for me to avoid the flood of, seemingly good quality and high value, Chinese knives is, as zuludelta touches on, their approach to product development - i.e. throwing an avalanche of totally random ideas on the wall to see what sticks. I'm oversimplifying o.c, but I just don't see the fine red thread in their products indicating that there's (a) passionate and experienced knife user(s) at the helm. Devoted to finding solutions for demanding end users in a wide variety of trades, hobbies and professional services. I have no doubt there could be a real passion for the production side of things as well as pride in craftsmanship, but with some lucky(?) exceptions this approach seem more geared to bring us the knife equivalents of high fashion stores. I never go there, I'm focused on function and get most of my stuff the sports and outdoor stores.
Rival22

Post by Rival22 »

Good thread so far.

While not outright boycotting Chinese knife companies, for the last couple years, I've moved from the "budget's knife world to "better" production knives. A benefit of that is supporting more American companies.

I have bought one Chinese-made knife recently, a CJRB Pyrite. It's a nicer micarta/titanium one, and while it's a nice enough knife in fit/finish and economically using premium materials, it's hard to explain, but I don't really feel any connection to it.

I enjoy my Spyderco and Buck knives a lot more, and, I just dipped my toes in the Chris Reeves world. Each of these knives I have "speak" to me in different ways. Whether is quality/function like a Native 5 or Sebenza, or a little nostalgia with the classic, tried and true shape of a Buck 112 or a Delica, I feel some sort of connection with those knives that I don't with the mass produced "flavor of the month" knives pushed out by a lot of Chinese companies.

Our brains are weird with what makes us make one choice over another.

-Edits for grammar
Last edited by Rival22 on Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
4V / BD1N / CRUWEAR / K390 / LC200N / M4 / MagnaCut / REX45
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

zuludelta wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:21 pm
There is an Amazon advertisement currently airing on Canadian TV that really salts my apples. In it, a man mocks people who pay more for an item, saying that even a child would know that paying less for something is always the way to go. Funnily enough, I think that ad also unwittingly discredits its message. Indeed, only a child would strictly view economic transactions in such basic terms. I don’t want to conjure up the elephant in the room that is political discussion in this thread, so let me just say that I would gladly pay more (within reason, of course) to support a company that I know supports various medical research and support initiatives, values the contributions of first responders and active and retired service members, treats and compensates its employees fairly, and is headquartered in a country where consensus civil and political rights are recognized and compliance with health, safety, employment, and environmental regulations is the standard.
Well-said.

I don't see why this topic should get people all heated up.

I remember years ago when we used to argue about buying products from ANY country other than the U.S.. Things could get especially heated when discussing automobiles. The argument was that foreign vehicles were both better and less expensive. But a lot of people argued for buying American anyway. I was on the side arguing that we weren't giving U.S. car manufacturers any incentive to up their game. I personally had no bone to pick with Japan, so I bought Toyotas. If U.S. car manufacturers made similar quality vehicles I'd pay a little more for them, but that wasn't happening. Then Levis moved their jean manufacturing outside of the U.S., Carhartt stuck their tongue out at them, and I started buying Carhartt. Then Carhartt moved outside of the U.S. with a sheepish grin. By then Americans had realized that we couldn't enjoy our previous lifestyle nearly as easily if we bought only U.S.-manufactured items. For some of us it's evolved to just picking certain countries we will try to avoid. Our reasoning for making such choices shouldn't make others blow a gasket - we're all adults with adult brains, and some of us have personal policies that have evolved over many years of watching, listening and thinking.

As an aside, I find it deplorable the companies that 'fly the American flag' on their websites and in their advertising, and then a little digging shows that the only thing 'U.S.' about their product is that they have an office in Oregon run by American hipsters. That used to be considered deceptive advertising. Add a little section showing your Chinese factory workers and I have no problem with it.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Chinese knives have come a long way.
Last edited by Monty on Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I had a longer period where i did not use spydies. And i can say they are brands out there that amaze me like for example zero tolerance. They only thing that i can say is simply the opening hole is the main reason why i can not have another type of collection.
Its just pure genius and the best way to open a knife now and even still in the far away future....
And ones you are hooked on it you can not live without it. Just had a loaner sebenza from my brother to sharpen and i got to use it allot and let us say its great its amazing but at the same time it sucks tht it has no opening hole.
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

Buying a product is supporting a company / person. Financially.

I'm very careful about who I support, most products have many different manufacturers, giving me a choice.

Sal is a cool kat.

Eric too.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I have a small Steel Will CutJack somewhere + a Ruike Ti flipper and the Hornet fixie from China and they are good value.. Actually carried the Hornet a lot, but I misplaced it ATM. I stopped buying made in China mainly for political/ethical reasons and these days it's either a small Sebenza, a SAK or one of the smaller Bark Rivers that keep me away from Spydercos.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

One of my main reasons, disregarding ethics,for not buying Chinese is more to do with the lack of choice in lock types.
They mostly seem to be titanium frame lock or linerlock knives.
Where are the mid and backlock options?
They also seem to be styled rather than designed, if that makes sense?
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I only carried and used an Opinel nr.8 for awhile and I was a happy camper. Sometimes I missed the fast deployment offered by the spydie hole but that’s it.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
brj

Post by brj »

I've stopped carrying Spydercos some 2 years ago, after reigniting my passion for OTFs during the pandemic lockdown phase (and somewhat fed-up with Spyderco's penchant for choils).

However, for this year's vacation I've decided to go ultralight, so for the last 3 weeks I've only been carrying an ARK (and a Heretic Manticore-S where laws allowed it). The only thing I can say is: no knife so small and light has the right to make you feel able to accomplish any cutting task the way the ARK does ;) .

Needles to say, I haven't tried to cut melons in half, I'm talking about 'regular' touristic knife usage. I also did not carry it when showering, quite the contrary, being on holiday I actually encouraged any mutually consented shower assault my significant other had in mind :smirk