CPM REX T15 or Böhler-Uddeholm’s K294?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
sidpost

CPM REX T15 or Böhler-Uddeholm’s K294?

Post by sidpost »

First, for everyone saying both, nice thought but not an option right now.

The descriptions read on Spyderco's web pages don't really help me differentiate between them. Rex T15 seems to be an older steel and K294 appears to be a brand formulation.

Both seem to be targeted at the same applications so, I am wondering if either has an advantage in a smaller knife like a Mule. Which properties are similar and which are different?

Any practical differences like ease of sharpening or rust resistance differences? What does the extra $20 get me? Is it just higher stock costs from the EU?

TIA,
Sid
standy99

Re: CPM REX T15 or Böhler-Uddeholm’s K294?

Post by standy99 »

If cost is a factor the Rex T15

Properties that are similar is pretty much both are going to hold an edge longer, and both are going to be not the easiest to sharpen unless you up your sharpening stones to diamond.
Would think K294 may have a slight edge In corrosion but not by much as neither are a stainless
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

Thanks! Leaning towards K294 and a bit more corrosion resistance is nice and a feature I want. Was looking at the available options and REX T15 came up but, trying to discern the differences between the two was not easy with my Googling or reading the Spyderco descriptions.

If it is splitting hairs, saving $20 on the REX T15 might be worthwhile but, Im a cry once pay once kind of guy too and don't want buyer's remorse.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

If it were me id take the T15. The seki k390 is on so many models its just convenient to pick that for ease of carry and the overall variety. For me id want different attributes on fixed blades over folders. K294 is a steel id rather have on a folder. However the Aeb-l mule is also fantastic. Ive had to halt my testing bcuz of some personal issues but the Aeb-l is very easy to sharpen. And holds its edge comparable to all the magnacut ive tested.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

What about K294 makes it a better folder blade steel than on a small fixed blade? Why CPM T15 for fixed blade over K294?
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I usually cut more abrasive materials with folders over fixed blades. To me it's easier to carry a folder 7 days a week over a dedicated fixed blade. Folders get more use so I'd want more wear resistance. The t15 has about 5% cobalt which means that's likely to have more strength, higher hardness, and just a better candidate for how I'd personally use my mules outside of testing. I like a medium 800-1k edge on my mules, the t15 I think would do better than k294. I have a bunch of s90v blades I've used alot and I think k294 would behave similarly. I just think t15 checks more boxes for me on a mule team than k294 does. These are just my opinions based on my own personal observations.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
vanka

Post by vanka »

If that is of any help K294 is literally the same composition as CPM 10V. Only difference i can think of is K294 is being made by Bohler's 3rd generation particle metallurgy but i'm not sure about the production of Crucible's PM process and generation. There's a chance K294 is more fine grained than 10V
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

I can only compare T15 to K390 (which is an incredibly close performing relative to K294).

T15 has has shown greater toughness and strength (edge stability) at roughly the same edge angles (~12-15dps). I've torqued into G-10 and maple with T15 and whilst there was noticeable edge damage (really only noticeably from the G-10; it's nasty stuff!), it was slight and the knife would continue to cut.

The experience I have with K390 is in a pocket knife and in that context, I am not a fan. I find it on par with Spyderco's M390 (Delica 4 BBS exclusive) in terms of edge retention/performance (within an EDC context). My carry conditions just seem to diminish the value or advantages that K390 can offer (I believe the main culprit being lack of corrosion resistance).

What I have found is that K390 will polish out its aggression if you sharpen to a higher grit and T15 will retain more bite. K390 seems to wear into an aggressive working edge, whilst T15 keeps that higher sharpness, with aggression (higher apex stability). I look at it like S30V (K390) vs XHP (T15), at least IME.

So far, T15 has shown better corrosion resistance in my use, for whatever that's worth, as these are both absolutely not stainless.

I've had better luck with Maxamet than with K390; so as T15 is a closer relative to Maxamet than to K390, T15 would be MY pick. Idk what your usage, preferences, nor requirements are, so take my words with a wheelbarrow of salt. These are and will both be, incredible performers. They both excel and are probably indistinguishable when up against most of the "typical" abrasive cutting of today (being cardboard cutting). If you are planning to skin and process animals, I might give a slight edge to T15 for the better strength and impact toughness that I have experienced. This goes without saying, we have no idea the heat treat protocol that K294 will have.

All of my experience is unfounded by science and is mainly a difference of nuance at best. We pay for that nuanced difference with these sorts of steels, as it's like comparing Lamborghini to Ferrari. If you already have experience with 10V, PMA11, or K390, it might be worth it to save $20 on top of getting a piece of a different steel to experience in T15.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
michael_aos

Post by michael_aos »

For the use-case is exclusively breaking down cardboard boxes, and predominantly using just the tip of the blade...

I purchased a Mule Team in CPM REX T15, Enuff 2 K390 SpyderEdge, Sage 1 Cool Gray Maxamet, and hoping to get a Mule Team K294.

Curious to see if I can tell any differences. Any predictions?