Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Re: Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

DLT Trading has the Mil2 in stock just fyi
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

JackRussell wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:26 pm
FYI, Shabazz released disassembly video today for Millie 2

https://youtu.be/1GL7ytDm8Eg
thanks for the update. great video. Isnt the dissassembly the same as the pm2 basically?
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yes.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

RC Bladeworks has added the Military 2 option to the "Made to Order Scales (2 Scale Knives)" section.

And they have an in stock set available here
Pic from their site...
•• Beau
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:29 pm
RC Bladeworks has added the Military 2 option to the "Made to Order Scales (2 Scale Knives)" section.

And they have an in stock set available here
Pic from their site...
Man, if they post more of these I might have to just buy the base model. Silly me, I assumed it would be months before we saw these.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:16 am
Man, if they post more of these I might have to just buy the base model. Silly me, I assumed it would be months before we saw these.

I was also surprised to see them so soon.
I've got some green canvas Micarta ordered. Now just waiting on that tool steel. :beaming-face
•• Beau
BingBong

Post by BingBong »

I’ve ready some comparisons between the old Military and the Native Chief. But does anyone who owns both, and uses them, have a view of the Military 2 vs Native Chief? Edit: I know this question depends on personal needs, use cases, etc, etc, etc., and I’m not looking for a “x is better than y” nor do I need anyone to make a purchase decision. 😀 I’m just interested in how owners think that the CL and the additional carry options have affected the Military 2 comparison to a Native Chief, and not just the old Military.
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Chief will still carry better due to the smaller size, it has a better edge to handle ratio, and does a better job of staying shut due to the lock used.

Millie 2 will have smoother operation, be easier to open with the larger and more exposed opening hole, (for me) better ergonomics behind the choil, worse when choked up because of the prominent thumb ramp, and will be slightly less slicey due to the thicker blade stock.

I've handled the Military 2 but don't own one yet.

With the thicker stock and beefier handle I think the Millie 2 has the edge for hard use, while the Chief carries better and has slightly better geometry for pure cutting.

Both models would go in my personal top 5 Spyderco folders, so I don't think you can go wrong with either.
:unicorn
BingBong

Post by BingBong »

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks vivi.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I will probably try both. I'm sure they are both great knives.
Stas

Post by Stas »

Hey, EU guys. MILITARY 2 is in stock at Lamnia! Not sure what to do now… :D
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

after what seemed like an eternity of waiting and then months of more waiting for a store to have it in stock, I finally procured a Millie 2. this being my first foray into the larger than PM2 Spydies, while it is pretty friggin big, with a deep carry clip it disappears right into the corner of my pocket (tip up as the universe intended). I have to say it was worth the wait. I love it. although, I also have to say that after finally handling this massive thing I'm glad I never spent money on the first one for 2 reasons. I know that I'd hate it with a liner lock and I know that I'd hate having tip down carry being my only option.

so for what it's worth (not a lot, I realize this) kudos to Spyderco for bringing their A-game and ushering the Military model into the next generation for us liner lock and tip down haters.

now, to commence waiting for the S90V/CF exclusive
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Not sure if I got a shining example of S30V, or if Spyderco has improved their heat treatment (of which they certainly have over the years), but this has been the best example of S30V that I have ever used. All around has made me wonder why I would ever truly want, or need, a "better" steel for daily usage. I'm not really even all that interested in "missing out" on future sprint runs. This is just so well done, along with the rest of the knife. This is the penultimate Spyderco knife, IMO. Seems like this has been the sleeping giant and the wait that had to be paid in patience is proving it was all worth it. Again, just my opinion.

Thank you for keeping your patience whilst under fire and providing us with the best that you can do, Spyderco.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Spyderco.com... Satin Blade, PlainEdge, Camo G-10... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... nEdge/2406

•• Beau
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

weeping minora wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:43 am
Not sure if I got a shining example of S30V, or if Spyderco has improved their heat treatment (of which they certainly have over the years), but this has been the best example of S30V that I have ever used. All around has made me wonder why I would ever truly want, or need, a "better" steel for daily usage. I'm not really even all that interested in "missing out" on future sprint runs. This is just so well done, along with the rest of the knife. This is the penultimate Spyderco knife, IMO. Seems like this has been the sleeping giant and the wait that had to be paid in patience is proving it was all worth it. Again, just my opinion.

Thank you for keeping your patience whilst under fire and providing us with the best that you can do, Spyderco.
I have a lot of S30V Spydies. None has disappointed me. But I must agree, my Military2’s S30V is mysteriously improved.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

weeping minora wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:43 am
It does seem that my more recent S30V Spydercos perform better out-of-the-box than my older ones did, which we can probably attribute to a more dialed-in heat treat & geometry and just generally improved processes & QA at the factory. That said, even my older S30V Spydercos seem to be performing better these days LOL (as I have become better at sharpening & reprofiling).

And I agree that S30V is more than sufficient for the stuff I do at work with a folding knife, and I use a knife at work definitely more frequently & probably a bit harder than your average user (I work at a warehouse & a lot of my tasks can be described as variations on the theme of "cutting stuff"). For several years now, the core element of my work folder rotation has been a standard Yojimbo 2 in S30V & I have no complaints about the steel's performance in that context. Does S45VN or Magnacut offer a better balance of characteristics? Of course! But as much and as hard as I use my work folders, I don't think I push them to the extent that the material differences between S30V, S45VN, & Magnacut become significantly more important in practical use than other factors such as edge geometry and ergonomics (of course, if Spyderco decides to replace S30V with Magnacut as its standard particle metallurgy steel, I'm all for it, especially if it's at a minimal price increase).
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

Edit: nvm lol
pleadnotguilty

Post by pleadnotguilty »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:06 pm
Spyderco.com... Satin Blade, PlainEdge, Camo G-10... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... nEdge/2406

Niiiiccccceee
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

KnifeWorks... Satin Blade, PlainEdge, Camo G-10... https://knifeworks.com/spyderco-militar ... c36gpcmo2/

Edit: Out of stock
Last edited by Buddafucco on Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
elena86

Post by elena86 »

When can we expect the serrated version ? I shall save my pennies for that one. Can’t wait !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red