Why carry two?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: Why carry two?

Post by TomAiello »

I always carry a 'beater' knife that I can loan to someone who asks 'do you have a knife?' My primary knife is generally one that I'm not willing to hand to anyone who asks that question.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have carried two for years that started while still working . Smaller knife for small jobs and not to alarm and cause freak outs in workplace and in public . Large for big jobs that is the bulk of my collection . I will also paraphrase Mr. Moran , “ Because it’s fun ! “ . Dan
Last edited by Manixguy@1994 on Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Murphy Slaw wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:33 am
I carry 2 plus a multitool which also has 2, making it 4 blades.

Call me crazy...
Well if you're crazy, so am I. I do the exact same thing.
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

You gotta have a backup…

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I have too many to carry just one at a time.
- Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I do from time to time, but typically find it unnecessary. Certain situations it's nice to carry a PE and SE, or a folder and a fixed blade. Depends on what you're doing I guess. I know most all of my folders are sharpened with a fairly coarse finish and is the way to go for most materials I'd encounter on a daily basis. Plus, I'd rather not debate which knife to pull out and use for whatever task. One and done!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I envy those who have never lost a knife. "Two is one and one is none."
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:01 am
Murphy Slaw wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:33 am
I carry 2 plus a multitool which also has 2, making it 4 blades.

Call me crazy...
Well if you're crazy, so am I. I do the exact same thing.
We’re all a little crazy 😉 we got rained out so I’m taking pictures…in the rain!!!
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I'll carry two, or more, for a couple of the reasons already expressed here. I may swap two of them around during the day depending on where I am.

It may be the Subway Bowie and PM 2 for an early morning encounter I mentioned in this post last night on the Off-Topic forums. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=95332 Or, I may have a less scary Delica on the pocket and the Lady Bug on the keychain for using while at work.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Almost never for me.

I can get by with one folder easily.

I don't need a small knife for public use. I can whip out a Resilience at work or in public without second thought. In fact I used one at a restaurant today to cut my kids breakfast up, no issues. I've never encountered someone that cared about that sort of thing.

I have no idea what folks are doing to dull these supersteels in a day. I sharpened my S30V Military 2 weeks ago to a 180 grit finish and used it every day since, and it's still wicked sharp. I can go a month or two rocking the same edge on PE H1. Won't be as sharp as day 1 but it'll still cut.

Sometimes I carry a pocket multitool like the Leatherman Micra for the tools. Mostly for keeping my nails clean and trim, and the screwdrivers. I keep a full sized LM in my car at all times (rebar) and can usually get by without one on me.

Sometimes I carry a concealed fixed blade when working certain security jobs as a back-up to my firearm(s), and in those situations I may also carry a folder for utility work. That's the only time I carry two spydies, and that's maybe twice a month tops.

If I carry a fixed blade outside of work, like an Aqua Salt or Street Beat for my daily carry or for a hike, I leave my folders at home. I don't need both for utility tasks.

Carrying a PE and a SE makes no sense for my use, because I can get by fine with one or the other, or even a single CE blade.

Don't need an extra tough knife and a slicey knife, I can get by just fine with something in between (e.g. 4mm stock Military with a 10dps edge).

For me carrying two spydies would be dead weight. I don't get people carrying 3 or 4, but if that's what they want to do it doesn't affect me at all so more power to ya'll. For me the use cases aren't there to justify it.
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I carry two just because I like to. Usually a primary knife that's 3"-3.5" and a small one like a Manbug or Jester. I could easily get by with only having one or the other. I could carry something in between like and Urban or Dragonfly and sometimes I do just that
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:13 am
For me carrying two spydies would be dead weight. I don't get people carrying 3 or 4, but if that's what they want to do it doesn't affect me at all so more power to ya'll. For me the use cases aren't there to justify it.

Pretty much the same for me (of course also the part with "more power to all" who unlike me enjoy carrying more knives at once).

Actually one reason why Iike to carry just one exactly IS that I want to experience and get to know a particular model in every occuring folder task, even if technically speaking another option would be slightly more suited. To me it is just enjoyable to handle every cutting - (or also other) tasks with just "the one" knife I carry.

I´ve mentioned the very rare scenarios where I carry two Spydies already, in summary:

1.) I deliberately want to directly compare two (or more) models (most times one is a new one) in the exact same tasks.
But this is more like a test then, not usual day to day carry

2.) Actually only with the Stretch XL SE so far: This is probably my favorite EDC folder when it comes to sheer cutting performance and actually most folder (cutting) tasks.
But its tip is so fine (at least in SE chisel gind) and by that actually so useful in many applications, that I want to preserve it like that and tend to be a bit worried in the outdoors or when having to work fast in "harder" use.
So I sometimes carry a small, but more robust model (in my case the Chap) alongside the Stretch XL.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
olywa

Post by olywa »

Either a PE 3"-4" folder with a SE Manbug, or a SE 3"-4" folder with a PE Manbug. Plus there is always a Leatherman Skeletool in a kydex sheath on my left side, always.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Im better prepared when i carry multiple knives. Somedays i have nothing to cut. Other days i have alot to cut. Having variety and versatility at my fingertips is better than carrying a pocket stone. I do believe pocket space is prime real estate so mild users can carry something else like a leatherman or a tape measure instead. Goal is to be prepared for the day, i happen to cut enough stuff to make a secondary knife a priority.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
z1r

Post by z1r »

Because three make my pants sag too much! :winking-tongue
Rival22

Post by Rival22 »

If I have a 3" ish knife in my pocket, I'm usually just carrying that.

I do have a couple larger (3.5"+) folders that I like to carry as well, but working in an office environment, sometimes pulling a large knife out gets a couple looks. For those days that I feel like carrying a bigger knife, I usually toss my Lil Native in my 5th pocket.
4V / BD1N / CRUWEAR / K390 / LC200N / M4 / MagnaCut / REX45
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Two always. Mainly because a Dragonfly 2 Emerson Opener lives iwb (goes through the wash frequently) and a Ladybug SE lives in my wallet. Then, I’ll have a primary knife on me, usually a Native 5 LW, sometimes something more SD.

Why?

Because knives are useful.

Outside of that:

A Vic Rambler hanging off my wallet.

The number explodes at work, because I’m carrying big and small multitools and a larger folder on my work belt.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I only carry more than one when fishing: a Waterway or MagnaCut Mule, and a Pacific Salt.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Well, if we're starting to count non-Spydercos, then I will have to revise my answer & say that I carry at least 3 knives at work most days. Whatever mid- or full-size Spyderco I'm carrying in my right backpocket that day, plus the plain 154CM blade & the serrated 420HC blade on the Leatherman Charge multitool that I have in my left front pocket. The multitool knives rarely get used, though, as I carry the Charge primarily for the pliers/wire cutters, saw, wood/metal file, and multiple drivers. IMO, there is a huge, untapped market for a knifeless Charge/Wave-style multitool, for those of us who prefer to carry standalone knives but still need the other implements in the Charge/Wave tool set. And yeah, I know Leatherman makes a knifeless version of the Rebar, but it was recently discontinued & it doesn't exactly have the same tools as the Charge/Wave (also, it doesn't have the option to mount a pocket clip or the ability to use interchangeable bits without additional accessories)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

zuludelta wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:28 pm
IMO, there is a huge, untapped market for a knifeless Charge/Wave-style multitool, for those of us who prefer to carry standalone knives but still need the other implements in the Charge/Wave tool set.
I think so too. And not only Charge/Wave size/toolset, but all sizes and styles. Even SAKs.