Is there a consensus sharpest folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Is there a consensus sharpest folder?

Post by Doc Dan »

I've had two uber sharp knives. They would cleanly cut free hanging toilet paper and pass the hanging hair test. Those two knives are the Knifeworks 204P Delica and the ZDP-189 Caly3.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:27 pm
I've had two uber sharp knives. They would cleanly cut free hanging toilet paper and pass the hanging hair test. Those two knives are the Knifeworks 204P Delica and the ZDP-189 Caly3.
I remember when you got that Delica and talked about how sharp it was. Cool to see it still holds that prestige for you.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

ramblinwreck wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:03 am
I’ve read several people mention their new Spyderco folder is “the sharpest knife out of the box I own.” Is there a consensus sharpest model/steel or is this just anecdotal?
Every knife ends up being sharpened but you can buy 3 PM2 in S45VN and they'll all have a different level of sharpness.
A good way to see it is to find youtube videos made by OCD 4 EDC, this guy always passes his new Spydercos on a bess tester. You can see that they're always plenty sharp, but some are more than others, even between the same model :winking-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

ramblinwreck wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:03 am
I’ve read several people mention their new Spyderco folder is “the sharpest knife out of the box I own.” Is there a consensus sharpest model/steel or is this just anecdotal?
There are a couple of websites that have in depth scientific research on steels, Knife Nerds is one, and there is another site on the science of the edge....somebody can post links to these 2 sites.

I've been around a while and have forgotten most of what I read but the science on what the sharpest edge geometry and sharpest steel is not 100% settled(I think), but they have an idea of what is happening due to photography of the blades and steels.

The steels that are used in knives are actually an amalgam, like concrete. Knife steels keep getting better and better in all attributes over time. There is no end to what can be achieved as long as the science and engineering in metallurgy continues to progress.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:02 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:27 pm
I remember when you got that Delica and talked about how sharp it was. Cool to see it still holds that prestige for you.
Yeah, whoever sharpened it knew what they were doing. Sadly, my skills, while okay, are not that good (though I did manage it free hand when I was a lot younger and more patient).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

I have read where members claim a certain model had the sharpest factory edge ever. My experience would be just the opposite with the same model - this has happened more than once. Not saying sharpness from the factory is random, but it's not 100% consistent. My Maxamet blades have all been very sharp.
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

delete
Last edited by BIGSTRETCH on Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I don’t have a data point on which knife came sharpest out of the box in my collection. What I can tell you is that the best cutting knives that I have are the Delicas. That’s not just based on blade stock or sharpness. It’s the knife design as well. Cuts are not only easy, but easy to make accurately.
petz462

Post by petz462 »

jwbnyc wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:01 pm
I don’t have a data point on which knife came sharpest out of the box in my collection. What I can tell you is that the best cutting knives that I have are the Delicas. That’s not just based on blade stock or sharpness. It’s the knife design as well. Cuts are not only easy, but easy to make accurately.
That adds even more anticipation for the upcoming High Performance Delica, it should be a winner!!! Hope it arrives soon...
Dave
USAF Retired
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I’m waiting on that one too. 👍🏻🙄
vivi

Post by vivi »

I wouldn't get too hung up on factory edges.

Years ago I made a home made bess tester. Basically a wooden jig to hold a piece of thread on top of a scale.

I'd measure knives with the factory edge and they'd usually take 100-200 grams of force to push cut the thread.

When I sharpened them myself I'd score between 30-80 grams, which is better than new razor blades would score for me.

With a little practice it's not difficult to get them sharper than the factory does. They do a tremendous job from the factory but at home you can take your time and use whatever sharpening tools you want. In the factory they're not spending an hour doing a 7 step grit progression on your knife.
:unicorn
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Of the 300+ folders I have or had, The one that I can say was the sharpest is the 93mm rescue plain edge. I know it’s cliche but that thing would split hair out of the box.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”