Victorinox Venture

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RugerNurse

Victorinox Venture

Post by RugerNurse »

Grabbed the other day on a whim as I was looking for a flat ground hiking knife that’s full tang. Comfortable in the hand, and the pretty sharp out of the box. Only $75. Sheath is meh, maybe aftermarket ones will come out.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Victorinox Venture

Post by Doc Dan »

I've been curious about the knife. It has 14C28 steel, which is a huge upgrade for Victorinox. Have you tested it?
Last edited by Doc Dan on Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Not yet. Just arrived yesterday. I’ll take it camping later in the fall to see how it does. Or if I go in a couple of hikes later this month. Curious to see how it does.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Interesting option for a sheath perhaps?

https://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Pr ... t/p/4.0540

The gadget kit, with built-in sharpmaker... :squinting-tongue
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

My son has had a Swiss Army knife since he was about 13.

Because of McGyver.

He's now in his 40's.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Are you my father? 😄
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:46 am
Are you my father? 😄
Bwahahahaha.

I played guitar for many decades and don't remember a lot about the 70's. And the 80's. And the 90's. And the early Aughts.

But I never went to Australia.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Victorinox-Venture-14C28N-Steel.jpg
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:37 pm
I've been curious about the knife. It has 12C27 steel, which is a huge upgrade for Victorinox. Have you tested it?
I thought the steel was Sandvik 14?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Halfneck wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:32 am
Victorinox-Venture-14C28N-Steel.jpg
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:37 pm
I've been curious about the knife. It has 12C27 steel, which is a huge upgrade for Victorinox. Have you tested it?
I thought the steel was Sandvik 14?
You are correct. I mis-typed it. Going too fast for my brain, I guess. :winking-tongue

I corrected it. Thanks.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I will say that I have two outdoor knives in 14C28N and they are just great. The steel is very, very tough. It has good corrosion resistance, and the edge retention is good. It will hold a very sharp edge for a good while, but when it looses that, it doesn't keep a working edge long. Overall, for an outdoor knife, this is the steel I want. (I've not had Magnacut). The toughness is so good you can do things you can't do with other steels.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:06 am
I will say that I have two outdoor knives in 14C28N and they are just great. The steel is very, very tough. It has good corrosion resistance, and the edge retention is good. It will hold a very sharp edge for a good while, but when it looses that, it doesn't keep a working edge long. Overall, for an outdoor knife, this is the steel I want. (I've not had Magnacut). The toughness is so good you can do things you can't do with other steels.
Just messing around in the backyard while waiting for the burgers to get done I did some carving with it and batoned some small wood into kindling size. It’s handled it well. The knife bites like crazy and shaves very fine curls. Held up to small batoning. I wouldn’t go crazy with a big log but I don’t do that anyway. Seems worth the $75
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

RugerNurse wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:25 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Just messing around in the backyard while waiting for the burgers to get done I did some carving with it and batoned some small wood into kindling size. It’s handled it well. The knife bites like crazy and shaves very fine curls. Held up to small batoning. I wouldn’t go crazy with a big log but I don’t do that anyway. Seems worth the $75
It looks like what Mora ought to be. It is full tang and has good steel. I'd say it is worth every cent.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

I like it. My favorite knives are made by Victorinox and Spyderco.

Although I have also read elsewhere that the sheath could be better.

As for the knife itself, if it's made by Victorinox, I'm sure it's excellent.

Jim
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:00 am
RugerNurse wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:25 am
Doc Dan wrote:
It looks like what Mora ought to be. It is full tang and has good steel. I'd say it is worth every cent.
Mora Garberg is essentially the same knife as the Victorinox but with a scandi grind.

I've abused the **** out of some Mora 511's without any unexpected failures. Partial tang knives are plenty strong IMO.

This Victorinox looks nice. Personally I prefer full flat to scandi or saber grinds for my outdoors knives. Got enough fixed blades to fill this role otherwise I'd order one.
:unicorn
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:03 am
Mora Garberg is essentially the same knife as the Victorinox but with a scandi grind.
The Condor Terrasaur is also a knife that goes head to head with the Mora. I haven’t tried it, but some seem to prefer it over Mora.
vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:03 am
Personally I prefer full flat to scandi or saber grinds for my outdoors knives.
And, the recently released Condor Bushglider is basically a flat ground blade wrapped in the Terrasaur handle and sheath. It’s a carbon steel blade and does look to have a slight recurve so it’s not a 1:1 alternative to the Vic, but at $47 MAP it could be a good value alternative for those who prefer flat grinds on their bush blades.

Not pitching this at vivi specifically, just highlighting other Mora inspired options with flat ground blades.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Poor man's Zoomer?
Reminds me a bit of the Zoomer.