Poll: Which Golden Model Do You Want to See in 15V Next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which Golden Model Do You Want to See in 15V Next?

Military 2
23%
Para 3
13%
Native Chief
16%
Native 5
25%
Lil’ Native
5%
UKPK
6%
Manix 2 XL
10%
Yojimbo 2
2%
Yojumbo
No votes
Siren
2%

Total votes: 122

bambam

Re: Poll: Which Golden Model Do You Want to See in 15V Next?

Post by bambam »

Honestly I would love a delica in 15v.😁
Matus

Post by Matus »

Shawn, we did not really expect to get 15V from Taichung or Seki, we just wanted to discuss that option. Now you killed that :grin-smiling-eyes
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I know it’s not on the list, Military 1.

Just in case it’s on a sunset. Could be the last chance as the knife makers at Golden still make them. In the future the Military 2 will likely dominate.
ZetaH

Post by ZetaH »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:45 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:52 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:56 pm
I tried to click "Stretch 2 XL 15V SE," but it wouldn't take.
Maybe 'cuz it's gonna be in K390?
It is going to be released in K390, and I'll be right there with you buying one.
ZetaH wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:46 am
Could the Delica 4 option be added? It has an ideal edge geometry, Thank you
I focused the poll on Golden models because the steel has only been used in Golden so far. I think that is probably likely to remain the case for the foreseeable future, but I could be wrong.
Bolster wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:45 pm
Didn't vote...I would prefer my next 15V blade be in a Chaparral or...hope against hope...a LW Caly.
Really stoked to see that new lightweight Caly.
I feel Golden is the home of CPM 15V.

I worked really closely with Golden on the 15V heat treatment. There was a lot of back and forth conversations and shipping of test samples and coupons.

So, it's not just the name of the steel on the side of the blade and heat treatment is more than opening a Betty Crocker cookbook.

When working on the AEB-L made in Italy, I didn't have the creative freedom I did with Golden.

Keep in mind here folks, decisions about if the CPM 15V will be done abroad or solely in Golden are NOT up to me. So, hopefully I'm not being out of line here or saying something that won't hold up over time yet, it is out of my control.

However, If it was up to me, I think the CPM 15V would work best in just Golden since there is a lot of unseen working experience that has been established. I was further impressed by how everyone at the Golden HT team came together under my plan to do the little extra things needed to help make this CPM 15V heat treatment special and where it needed to be.

If you could imagine, there was a lot of pressure to meet expectations when getting such a niche material to such a wide audience and if done and improperly 15V could be so brittle it would be unusable, So the consequences could have been huge. I feel a material like 15V is more sensitive than AEB-L so I appreciated having more involvement.

Even the 15V melt chemistry itself was specially selected to work best with this heat treatment so it was more involved than people realize to get the consistency we achieved on such a large scale.

On a side note, not all of us make knives so I think some details need to be put into context.

CPM 15V is a nightmare material to work with and finish.

Golden has a massive amount of specialized expertise, equipment and personal from working with Maxamet to really crush the 15V and make it appear "easy"

So, it shouldn't be a surprise that Golden is my favorite Spyderco Factory. They can eat any steel, any place, anytime and not to diminish the other factories, but Golden is an extraordinary group of people in all departments.

So while a 15V delica would be pretty rad I think seki already has there own thing going with K390.

Just my opinions.
Thank you so much Shawn for writing such a comprehensive answer!

The delica has great geometry, but knowing all that I'll vote for the Military 2.
I hope I can get one! In Europe it has been very difficult, I was very interested in Manix2 with your treatment, but I couldn't buy any Manix2.

By the way, thanks to your treatment tips plus Larrin's, I'm making my first fixed and folding knives and I'm very happy with the results. Thank you for helping to continue learning and improving every day!
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Id like it on a big slicy blade.
1.manix 2xl
2.millie 2
3. Native chief
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Calypso
:bug-red-white
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

My first vote was for my in-production favorite the Lil Native

But I’d get down with a Military 1 or 2 as well
Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

I want to see Round 2 of the Manix ‼️👍🙏
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Today, I notice the Military2 and the Native5 are tied. To what extent do blade-length restrictions factor into some votes for the Native5, I wonder.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:18 am
Today, I notice the Military2 and the Native5 are tied. To what extent do blade-length restrictions factor into some votes for the Native5, I wonder.
I was pretty excited to see the M2 get bumped up in the polls.

I think that blade length laws are one factor. Other folks just don’t see the need for a bigger knife, or don’t feel comfortable with a larger knife. I was one of those people for a while, but have since wisened up. ;)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:31 am
wrdwrght wrote:
I was pretty excited to see the M2 get bumped up in the polls.

I think that blade length laws are one factor. Other folks just don’t see the need for a bigger knife, or don’t feel comfortable with a larger knife. I was one of those people for a while, but have since wisened up. ;)
Maybe cost as well.
I chose Native 5 because I find myself carrying (and therefore using) ‘mid’ size folders the majority of the time. I am fortunate to have BBB 15v in the Manix 2 and Shaman. It has been excellent.
When I need a knife in the 4 inch (or longer) size, I tend to grab fixed blades and lean towards toughness over wear resistance. Generally for camp or bushcraft stuff.
All that being said, there is a probability the more I hang around this forum, the likelihood of me wisening up …..
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

capt.carl wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:23 pm
Id like it on a big slicy blade.
1.manix 2xl
2.millie 2
3. Native chief
YUP
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

Native 5, preferably lightweight
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

wrdwrght wrote:
Personally, I just find the native to be the optimal blade length for most things I do. The longer the blade is, the less tip control you get.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Manix2 XL

It's not like the Manix2 wasn't popular. ;)
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

I'm guessing we won't see more 15V until after the release of BBB's folder. We'll just have to wait and see tho!

So exciting right now, with Magnacut and 15V being released, K390 spreading to the most Seki knives. We're truly getting spoiled with all of these steels.
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Native 5 is my vote.

Best little, big knife in the world. Supreme ergonomics for all hand sizes, what Spyderco does best and it also is just one of the most aesthetically pleasing folding knives I've ever seen. Not sure what it is about it, but it is just a really sleek, cool yet powerful looking little knife.
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

dull&blunt wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:09 pm
I'm guessing we won't see more 15V until after the release of BBB's folder. We'll just have to wait and see tho!

So exciting right now, with Magnacut and 15V being released, K390 spreading to the most Seki knives. We're truly getting spoiled with all of these steels.

What is BBB?
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

ramblinwreck wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:36 pm
dull&blunt wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:09 pm

What is BBB?

BBB= Big Brown Bear= Shawn Houston= Triple B Handmade= DeadBoxHero
An amazing member of the knife community.
His makers mark is on the Spyderco 15v knives.
•• Beau
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I like that the Native is not the openly known as the favorite knife for most Spyderco collectors/enjoyers/nutjobs, but everytime there's a poll about a new steel, it's still up there if not first !

I'd personally like to see every Native and Military line models in this steel .
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds