Spyderco Caribbean on Sale

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Spyderco Caribbean on Sale

Post by vivi »

SchoonerBum wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:35 am
There have been rumours that there might be an FRN backlock Caribbean in the works. :beaming-face
hope that's true.
:unicorn
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

vivi wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 6:39 pm
SchoonerBum wrote:
There have been rumours that there might be an FRN backlock Caribbean in the works. :beaming-face
hope that's true.
I approve this message (for whatever that's worth :savouring).
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 6:37 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:48 pm
I hope that the Caribbean being discontinued is indicative of a revised version launching soon. Fundamentals of that model are great. I think the scales were unpopular and expensive to produce. Myself I’d love it with thinner blade stock and FRN scales. Everything else is beautiful about the design, for me. MagnaCut would be nice.
If it had the stiff detent my yojumbos have it'd probably be my EDC. Love the ergos, blade shape, salt construction and the edge all the way to the handle.

This is a bit off topic but I know you like strong detent and DLC, the St Nick's Military is probably the strongest liner lock detent I've ever felt. I've even "failed" to open it a few times where out of habit I just underestimated how strong it was and didn't press into the thumb hole strong enough and my thumb slipped off the blade. I have opened it a bunch of times and it's not softening up so I'm included to believe it's actually a stronger detent as in deeper hole etc and not just dragging on the DLC, and I also greased the detent ball and it didn't weaken the action.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
SchoonerBum wrote:
hope that's true.

I think he's talking about the CliffJumper / LeafJumper XL, right?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

weeping minora wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 7:36 pm
vivi wrote:
SchoonerBum wrote:
hope that's true.
I would preorder that version and I don’t preorder anything!!!
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 7:27 am
weeping minora wrote:
vivi wrote:
SchoonerBum wrote:
hope that's true.
I'm surprised anyone wants a back-lock on a knife that's flips as well as a PM2. Do you guys also want back-locks on the PM2!?!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:14 am
weeping minora wrote:
vivi wrote:

hope that's true.
I'm surprised anyone wants a back-lock on a knife that's flips as well as a PM2. Do you guys also want back-locks on the PM2!?!

Crazy isn't it? Just wait until you hear that some people don't purchase knives based on how well they flick open!

:winking-tongue
~David
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:31 am
HolySteel wrote:
weeping minora wrote:

Crazy isn't it? Just wait until you hear that some people don't purchase knives based on how well they flick open!

I bought mine based on the discussion in this thread - never read anything here about how well the knife flicks open, or even remember anything I might have read about the lock design, but I'll enjoy the surprising fact that it flips open nicely. (I don't make a very good straw man ;) )
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:52 am
Evil D wrote:
HolySteel wrote:

I bought mine based on the discussion in this thread - never read anything here about how well the knife flicks open, or even remember anything I might have read about the lock design, but I'll enjoy the surprising fact that it flips open nicely. (I don't make a very good straw man ;) )
The Caribbean action is quite nice.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:52 am
Evil D wrote:
HolySteel wrote:

Lol wasn't trying to make you into a straw man, and I was trying to be funny. I guess I should hang up my comedy act, seems to be failing a lot around here lately.

To answer your original question more boring and to the point, yes I think some people would actually like a back lock Para 2. There are many reasons to want a back lock over a compression lock, and if done correctly a back lock is just as flickable, just handle a Rock Jumper and you'll see for yourself. In return you gain an ambidextrous lock, a self close bias, and no hot spot along the spine.
~David
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

edited: said too little with too many words :)
Last edited by HolySteel on Tue May 16, 2023 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:19 am
Lol wasn't trying to make you into a straw man, and I was trying to be funny. I guess I should hang up my comedy act, seems to be failing a lot around here lately.

To answer your original question more boring and to the point, yes I think some people would actually like a back lock Para 2. There are many reasons to want a back lock over a compression lock, and if done correctly a back lock is just as flickable, just handle a Rock Jumper and you'll see for yourself. In return you gain an ambidextrous lock, a self close bias, and no hot spot along the spine.
Sorry about that.

edited to remove unnecessary verbosity
Imasmockguy

Post by Imasmockguy »

I love reading about modifications and I love my Caribbean. I will probably RIT dye mine someday but I wanted to share another mod I did. I bought the knife for the large serrated blade as a work knife but the protuding butt end and guard just didn't appeal to my eye. This wasn't an issue. Some 150 grit, a small sanding block and out 45 minutes to reshape both ends was all it took. I love this knife more than ever now. There's plenty of G10 extending beyond the steel liners to get this done too.
IMG_7221.jpg
IMG_7222.jpg
IMG_7223.jpg
IMG_7224.jpg
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Imasmockguy:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Imasmockguy wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:30 pm
I love reading about modifications and I love my Caribbean. I will probably RIT dye mine someday but I wanted to share another mod I did. I bought the knife for the large serrated blade as a work knife but the protuding butt end and guard just didn't appeal to my eye. This wasn't an issue. Some 150 grit, a small sanding block and out 45 minutes to reshape both ends was all it took. I love this knife more than ever now. There's plenty of G10 extending beyond the steel liners to get this done too.
looks great! i've thought about doing the same to the butt end since before buying my caribbean. i just can't bring myself to do it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

The only modifications I’ve done so far are sanding the surface of the scales and trying to gently adjust the detent to make it slightly stronger.
I don’t really like that the scales are polished. There is of course the milled grooves, but the surface is polished g10. It makes it feel slippery, especially because there are no milled grooves to break up the vertical polished ridges.
Anyway, a little sandpaper and the polish is gone. You can round off the edges of the knife by breaking down the ends of the grooves too.
Feels way better after doing that and takes only a few minutes.

Otherwise, the Caribbean is an outstanding knife for what it is. Probably my favorite design with a compression lock.

The only thing that would significantly improve it, for me, is a self close.

I went out kayaking yesterday with this knife.
It was a good day and I got up close with some nice wildlife including Dolphins and Sea Turtles.
However, don’t be an idiot like me and remember to protect your skin from the sun!
Last edited by Cl1ff on Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Catchadroppimgknife

Post by Catchadroppimgknife »

I’m sure liking mine :party-face I may leave the SE as original but I’m loving the PE in Peacock green

Both flick smooth as glass :cheap-sunglasses

Last edited by Catchadroppimgknife on Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:20 am
The only modifications I’ve done so far are sanding the surface of the scales and trying to gently adjust the detent to make it slightly stronger.
I don’t really like that the scales are polished. There is of course the milled grooves, but the surface is polished g10. It makes it feel slippery, especially because there are no milled grooves to break up the vertical polished ridges.
Anyway, a little sandpaper and the polish is gone. You can round off the edges of the knife by breaking down the ends of the grooves too.
Feels way better after doing that and takes only a few minutes.
Just did the sandpaper trick. Made quite a bit of difference for me as well regarding the vertical slipperiness. I fixed the detent issue on both last week with a harbor freight diamond bit. MUCH better now.

Thanks for the tip!
Monty

Post by Monty »

I absolutely love the Caribbean but the light detent makes it so hard to carry in the summer with lightweight shorts on. I tend to gravitate to the pac salt, but the thumb ramp on that one is could do without, ideally. Waiting on the back lock Caribbean for the perfect folder I suppose.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Imasmockguy wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:30 pm
IMG_7221.jpg
IMG_7222.jpg
IMG_7223.jpg
IMG_7224.jpg
Awesome looking job 👏👊