Crazy Good Deals Part 2!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyder-fan

Re: Crazy Good Deals Part 2!!

Post by Spyder-fan »

Hopefully this is the end of factory store only models.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Swayback only $150 at BHQ for the last few hours of sale tonight

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... fe--112404
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

My understanding is that Spyderco direct sales are at MSRP so as not to compete with their retail partners. So for Sprints like the Chief that were only offered direct, MSRP - *is* the price. The only price.

When they move an item to clearance it is priced at MAP, again so as not to compete.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong (like I have to ask...).

I bought a Chief Sprint at full price and am still quite happy about it. It's a crazy good knife. Happy to have paid the full amount to ensure I got one.

30% off MSRP is a bargain - for this particular knife.
Brian
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

I believe your correct. Spyderco factory store sells at full MSRP to not compete with their dealers. However these were dedicated knives that are only offered at the factory store. They weren't competing with their dealer network on these models and could of originally offered them at MAP. Instead they offered them at MSRP and had trouble moving them.

I'd welcome more store specific models if they offered them at MAP. Otherwise it would be nice to see them available at dealers who can offer a lower price than MSRP.
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

Spyder-fan wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:07 pm
I believe your correct. Spyderco factory store sells at full MSRP to not compete with their dealers. However these were dedicated knives that are only offered at the factory store. They weren't competing with their dealer network on these models and could of originally offered them at MAP. Instead they offered them at MSRP and they didn't sell well
If Spyderco sold select Sprints direct-only, and sold them at competitive prices to other Sprints, Exclusives, or even base models, I suspect retailers would see that as competition. I would.

Remember, too, that when Spyderco offers a Sprint direct-only, they take the full investment risk. And when they are willing to do that on a Sprint that may not have the draw that other models have, I'm happy to have the chance at that knife, and to pay a premium for a knife that likely wouldn't otherwise exist.

Also, Exclusives have the full risk borne by the retailer. I'd be an unhappy retailer if I had invested in an exclusive and then found myself competing with a hot deal direct from Golden.

My default position is that Sal & Eric know what they are doing, and all evidence points to them wishing to do the right thing by everyone in the sales chain - especially the end user.
Brian
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

RamZar wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:18 pm
WilliamMunny wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:11 pm
RamZar wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:48 pm
WilliamMunny wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:20 pm
Plus the Native Chief M390 (dlc and satin). Great prices.

Not really. The Satin at $175 is just 30% off MSRP which is normal MAP. Additionally, there’s sales tax on top.
If I am not mistaken it was only available on Spyderco.com. So 30% off is 30% less than it’s ever sold for.

It’s NOT a great price. It was also sold at 50% off MSRP to OpFocus group. If more people avoided paying full MSRP then Spyderco would’ve been forced to discount it sooner.
Did not realize OPFOCUS was removed on it.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

CDEP wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:19 pm
If Spyderco sold select Sprints direct-only, and sold them at competitive prices to other Sprints, Exclusives, or even base models, I suspect retailers would see that as competition. I would.

Remember, too, that when Spyderco offers a Sprint direct-only, they take the full investment risk. And when they are willing to do that on a Sprint that may not have the draw that other models have, I'm happy to have the chance at that knife, and to pay a premium for a knife that likely wouldn't otherwise exist.

Also, Exclusives have the full risk borne by the retailer. I'd be an unhappy retailer if I had invested in an exclusive and then found myself competing with a hot deal direct from Golden.

My default position is that Sal & Eric know what they are doing, and all evidence points to them wishing to do the right thing by everyone in the sales chain - especially the end user.
I see your point on not wanting to compete with the dealer network, but it's obvious the direct sales at MSRP wasn't a success, otherwise the knives wouldn't be discounted to move inventory.
Not sure what you mean by doing the right thing, especially for the end user. They went to MAP pricing which upset a lot of the customer base, and still does.
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

Now back to Crazy Good Deals.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I get that the Mule Teams are sold at MSRP + Sales Tax + Shipping. That’s fine.

I disagree that these Sprints below were sold exclusively only at Spyderco at full MSRP. By their nature, Sprints are exclusive runs of never before repeated steels and/or handle materials/colors. Being unique they don’t cannibalize sales at dealers. Therefore, they should be sold at MAP not MSRP. Selling these only through Spyderco at full MSRP does neither the consumer nor dealers nor distributors a favor. That’s my personal opinion.

1. Native Chief M390 Black DLC Blade Dark Brown G-10 C244GPDBNBK Sprint Run (USA) - OCT 2022
  2. Native Chief M390 Satin Blade Dark Brown G-10 C244GPDBN Sprint Run (USA) - OCT 2022
  3. Dragonfly2 Lightweight Super Blue/SUS410 Laminated Satin Blade Gray-Blue Zome FRN C28ZFGYBL2 Sprint Run (Japan) - JAN 2023
  4. Dragonfly2 Lightweight Super Blue/SUS410 Laminated Black TiCN Blade Gray-Blue Zome FRN C28ZFGYBLBK2 Sprint Run (Japan) - JAN 2023
  5. Delica4 Lightweight Super Blue/SUS410 Laminated Satin Blade Gray-Blue Zome FRN C11ZFGYBL Sprint Run (Japan) - MAR 2023
  6. Delica4 Lightweight Super Blue/SUS410 Laminated Black TiCN Blade Gray-Blue Zome FRN C11ZFGYBLBK Sprint Run (Japan) - MAR 2023
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:48 pm
Wow, what are the odds that I would buy a zome Dragonfly just a week ago and now they drop the price by $33 bucks? :eye-roll

Same for me, albeit about a month ago. Still happy to have commemorated my quitting smoking with it, but even at the time I kinda laughed at myself for paying 110 for a Dragonfly. Still, I did it, so I'm not making a larger statement, just sharing in the eyeroll of a fellow forumite. A week definitely burns more than a month.
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

That's the gamble on these direct-only Sprints. Pay MSRP when they drop, or gamble they don't sell out and hope for clearance at MAP.

I bought the Chief M390 DLC Sprint at MSRP the day it dropped, because there was no way I could miss that knife.

I really wanted some Super Blue, but held on the Dragonfly 2 Sprint and bought them both today at MAP. Love the DFly, but not like I love the Chief.

Delica 4 is not my fave model, but I may yet cave tomorrow. Maybe even get the Satin M390 Chief.

IMHO these are all "Crazy Good Deals" if the steel or the model is of interest. Having owned the DLC Chief since it dropped I can give it my highest recommendation. A great model in a great steel with a beautiful colorway.

***EDIT*** I guess the deals were only for the sale, as the Chief, Delica, & DFly Sprints have all moved back to MSRP as of today (Thursday).
Last edited by CDEP on Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Sherer19

Post by Sherer19 »

Those were some good deals. I think SMKW sold out of everything.
I picked up the Chap FRN and the exclusive smooth G10 Lil Native at Knife Center.
Basic modules but should be great to carry and use. I have a Lil Native Cru, but all black and smooth G10 should be a great combo for a small knife
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Sorry if already posted: Indiana Knives has teal S90V PM2 for $139.99.
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

Coastal wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:45 am
Sorry if already posted: Indiana Knives has teal S90V PM2 for $139.99.
That is a better deal for than the Manix 20cv but the Manix is just so popular now.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

- Richard
GeofS

Post by GeofS »

I just ordered the Positron, thanks!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear GeofS:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

GeofS wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:18 pm
I've read some concerning reviews about that dealer online. Has anyone purchased from them in the past? How was your experience?
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Spyder-fan wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:39 pm
GeofS wrote:
I've read some concerning reviews about that dealer online. Has anyone purchased from them in the past? How was your experience?
Yes, I've ordered from BHQ before. Pretty good experiences... :winking-tongue

But seriously, I ordered from hand-tools.com once back in 2017 for the Caly 3 HAP40 sprint. I don't recall any issues and it looks like it shipped the same day (or at least they processed the order the same day). So only 1 experience, and it was uneventful. Hope that's somewhat helpful.
MNOSD member 0030
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Spyder-fan wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:39 pm
GeofS wrote:
Several of us ordered from Hand-Tools.com a couple months back. There's a thread on here somewhere. I got a D'Allara 3. No issues.
- Richard