K390 Leafjumper or stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sanpaku

Re: K390 Leafjumper or stretch

Post by Sanpaku »

My "sweet spot" for EDC is 2.95"-3.25" blade length, and I pondered the LeafJumper as my first K390 blade for weeks. What ultimately cast my decision for the larger Stretch 2 is two distinctions:
  • The Stretch 2 has jimping on the thumb ramp (as well as of course, the 50/50 choil), which in the Sage and Native 5 greatly improves my confidence in the grip (if not my actual grip). In the LeafJumper, the thumb ramp is left smooth.
  • The 1.5" of the Stretch 2 sharpened edge nearest the ricasso is nearly as flat as a true wharncliffe. The material being cut isn't being drawn away to the tip or towards the ricasso by the edge curvature. I like leaf blades in the Sage and Native 5 too, but wanted something different.
Collection: Kapara & Sage 2 in S30V, Stretch 2 & Dragonfly 2 in K390, (soon) UK Penknife Salt in MagnaCut
Wishlist: SpydieChef, Native 5 (S90V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

If the LF sells so well as the posts here would suggest, I would not be surprised if we would get an XL version later down the road (like it happened with Stretch). I will be getting LF later this year.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Matus wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:43 pm
If the LF sells so well as the posts here would suggest, I would not be surprised if we would get an XL version later down the road (like it happened with Stretch). I will be getting LF later this year.
There is already a prototype called the Sequoia.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sanpaku wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:01 pm
[*]The 1.5" of the Stretch 2 sharpened edge nearest the ricasso is nearly as flat as a true wharncliffe. The material being cut isn't being drawn away to the tip or towards the ricasso by the edge curvature. ....

FINALLY someone else mentions this too... :clinking-mugs ;)

....(I do it all the time. The long, totally straight, wharnie - ish section in the edge before the belly rises of all Stretch variants is one of the main reasons why I like this platform so much. Just transfers power and cuts better in most tasks (that I do) than a continuously curved edge
Also one of the reasons why the Stretch is not an "FRN backlock PM2" for me (PM2 having that curved edge))
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)