The Goddard is such a great knife and unexpectantly excels at food prep

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rival22

The Goddard is such a great knife and unexpectantly excels at food prep

Post by Rival22 »

I bought the St Nick's Goddard on a whim... It's bigger than knives that I usually carry, but I really liked the shape of it, didn't have any 4V knives, and for $125, figured what the ****.

But in the past 3-4 weeks, it has become my go to "around the house" knife. For a big knife, it's so darn light and thin. Surprisingly to me, it has been extremely useful around the grill. It's plenty slicey enough, and that large/flat finger guard area gives you a great place to pinch the knife. Honestly, I'd rather use it cooking than my Spydiechef.

It's a perfect camping folder, and while I haven't had any issues with corrosion on the 4v, I'd love to see it in a Salt, or something really stainless. Knifejoy's 20CV Seki knives comes to mind.
4V / BD1N / CRUWEAR / K390 / LC200N / M4 / MagnaCut / REX45
Bolster

Re: The Goddard is such a great knife and unexpectantly excels at food prep

Post by Bolster »

Rival22 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:35 am
...Honestly, I'd rather use it cooking than my Spydiechef....

That's a surprising comment! You'd think the 4V would give you issues eventually in terms of corrosion?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Salt model would be nice
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

100% agreed

And I don't see any problems with (after all even coated!) 4V in the kitchen.

Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

... and for those who want kind of a "salty" Goddard:

- Grab a SIREN as long as they are still available (though to me the Goddard is even better, see here
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60127&start=44020#p1733256)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I had a chance to get a really good deal on one of these, and I'm starting to think I made a mistake.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:59 am
100% agreed

But it won't cut eggs? Worthless! :winking-tongue
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

z1r wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:35 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:59 am
100% agreed

But it won't cut eggs? Worthless! :winking-tongue

These are of course meant only for decoration super hard artificial diamond coated granite eggs, that´s why! :smiling-halo

... but if the Goddard came with the mighty spyderedge it certainly could cut even those! ;)
cjk

Post by cjk »

Rival22 wrote:
I bought the St Nick's Goddard on a whim... It's bigger than knives that I usually carry, but I really liked the shape of it, didn't have any 4V knives, and for $125, figured what the ****.

But in the past 3-4 weeks, it has become my go to "around the house" knife. For a big knife, it's so darn light and thin. Surprisingly to me, it has been extremely useful around the grill. It's plenty slicey enough, and that large/flat finger guard area gives you a great place to pinch the knife. Honestly, I'd rather use it cooking than my Spydiechef.

It's a perfect camping folder, and while I haven't had any issues with corrosion on the 4v, I'd love to see it in a Salt, or something really stainless. Knifejoy's 20CV Seki knives comes to mind.
I am wondering if you have possibly compared it to an Endura 4 or Stretch 2 XL in these roles?
z1r

Post by z1r »

cjk wrote: I am wondering if you have possibly compared it to an Endura 4 or Stretch 2 XL in these roles?
Me, I prefer the Goddard. The feel in hand is just better for me, than the Endura. I can't actually pick a favorite between the Goddard and the S2XL. They are similar but different and I can't really give a decent explanation. I like the S2XL a lot due to blade to handle ratio, lack of weight, and slim profile. The Goddard certainly less efficient in handle to blade ratio, but has plenty of blade and just feels solid in the hand, also loses in terms of weight but is by no means a heavyweight. The S2XL is by no means flimsy, quite rigid for my uses in fact, but the Goddard just feels sturdier. Glad I have both.

Looking forward to Gernot's take.
Matus

Post by Matus »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:17 pm
I had a chance to get a really good deal on one of these, and I'm starting to think I made a mistake.
... that makes two of us ...
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cjk wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:40 am
Rival22 wrote:
I am wondering if you have possibly compared it to an Endura 4 or Stretch 2 XL in these roles?

I have and continue to do so (including also the Pac Salt (1 in H1 SE in my case)... but I´d have too much to say about this for now (actually this is about my most favorite folders overall), need more time and probably will start a dedicated thread!

For now: What the Goddard certainly offers:

- Best carry amongst the four (Endura 4, Pac Salt (1), Stretch XL, Goddard):
Really thin, and concerning "carry depth": Just about the same as an Endura, so perfect for me (I don´t like deep carry)

- Practically the same edge length as the other three (at least the Stretch XL offers more blade, but not much more actual edge)
- To me (but I am "weird" ;) ) best "choke up area": Better than both the Endura and Pac Salt ricasso and also better than the Stretch XL choil (again, to me personally)

Now for slight negatives:

- At least on my examples of the mentioned models the Goddard has the most lock rock and its blade is most prone to come a tiny bit loose and rattly when gripped hard in a hammer grip (not a real issue though.
On the somewhat similar Siren (no boye dent) this is more pronounced)

- No SE or CE version for the Goddard of course
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Mine arrived today! First impressions are good. Great handle for XL hands, good blade length, certainly lightweight.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

CE Goddard existed for the longest time
Rival22

Post by Rival22 »

cjk wrote:
Not directly... Closest I've had is a regular sized Stretch 2 (K390). I tend to be moving away from the more pronounced thumb ramp, so that might play into it, but I recently sold the Stretch off after getting the Goddard. I liked the Stretch and the liners probably make it a better "work" knife, but the Goddard is lighter, has a little more blade, and just feels more nimble in the hand.
Bolster wrote: That's a surprising comment! You'd think the 4V would give you issues eventually in terms of corrosion?
Not in my use, but with the blade shape, I think it would make a great fishing knife.
4V / BD1N / CRUWEAR / K390 / LC200N / M4 / MagnaCut / REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:00 pm
CE Goddard existed for the longest time

Not in fgg though, right? (And not in 4V of course)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Rival22 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:08 pm
cjk wrote:
Not directly... Closest I've had is a regular sized Stretch 2 (K390)....
but the Goddard is lighter, has a little more blade, and just feels more nimble in the hand.
Bolster wrote:

Well, when it comes to actual cutting edge the Goddard offers almost 20 % more than the Stretch 2.
Actually the edge of the Goddard has the exact same length as the whole blade of the Stretch 2 - for me personally this makes the Goddard a clearly bigger knife.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

It’s good that it has that flat spot to choke up on. You need it because, otherwise, it puts your hand pretty far back from the edge.

I find the carry better on the Endura too. The butt of the Goddard is blocky, which is nice in use but my hand slides past the Endura better. Overall, it’s not replacing the Endura for me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jwbnyc wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:20 pm
It’s good that it has that flat spot to choke up on. You need it because, otherwise, it puts your hand pretty far back from the edge.

I find the carry better on the Endura too. The butt of the Goddard is blocky, which is nice in use but my hand slides past the Endura better. Overall, it’s not replacing the Endura for me.

The flat spot to choke up on works great for me. I always find it gives me more control when choking up if the spot where my index finger sits on the handle is wider than where middle and ring finger sit. The Goddard offers this (but many choils not), and choking up is really safe too, since the hand is still very locked in by the middle finger behind that substantial guard when choking up.

Also gripping the knife behind the guard vs index finger in front of the guard (so choked up) makes for effectively two pretty different blade angles to choose between in use.

/ You have a point with your remarks on the carry, the Endura handle end is definitely better shaped for letting the hand slide past the knife in pocket!
I find the blocky Goddard handle end not to be an issue though, cause the knife is so thin in pocket that my hand actually slides over the knife easily.

Now despite I really, really like the Goddard and am still in the honeymoon phase with it: If I absolutely had to choose between the two: Like you, I´d still go with the Endura 4.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Yeah, no ffg until now

I do love Spyderco allowing dealers to dig up the archives for exclusives. Allows people to experience models that were before their time.