Show us your lanyards!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BIGSTRETCH

Re: Show us your lanyards!

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:15 pm
BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:51 pm
Hyena Pattern, Bear Knife
Those look good!
Hey thanks! Yours are much more interesting and I hope to learn some of those more advanced knots as soon as I have time.

Do you have a particular Youtube Channel or Website you like to use for this? I've noticed that some of the Paracord tutorial videos on Youtube are way easier to follow than others.

Please share some more pics of yours when you can.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:29 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:15 pm
BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:51 pm
Hyena Pattern, Bear Knife
Those look good!
Hey thanks! Yours are much more interesting and I hope to learn some of those more advanced knots as soon as I have time.

Do you have a particular Youtube Channel or Website you like to use for this? I've noticed that some of the Paracord tutorial videos on Youtube are way easier to follow than others.

Please share some more pics of yours when you can.
A few years back I picked a few knots I wanted to learn, (2 strand diamond, snake knot, square knot, 4 strand diamond) then I'd watch a few different tutorials on each knot and screen shot the best parts. After some trial and error I was able to mash it all together into my own thing and get knot combos that worked good together.

In general some tricks I've learned; gear, a small marlin spike, scissors, and butane torch lighter. I remove the core of the paracord, I pick two colors of paracord (or two pieces the same color), each a folded length (doubled length) from my fingertips to my elbow.

I take one length of cord and fold it in half. And take the 'middle' and put it through the lanyard hole of the knife, and thread the other end through the loop, so it's attached to the lanyard hole like the lanyard will be. I then tie a two strand diamond knot loosely. Using the marlin spike I adjust the position of the knot (one strand at a time) until it's the appropriate distance from the lanyard hole. I like so it just close enough that you can slip the lanyard loop over it and undo the lanyard from the hole so you can take it on and off. If you put the knot too close, you won't be able to get the lanyard off of the knife. Too far away and the lanyard dangles off the back of the knife too much, and it's not as effective (especially on knives like Dfly where the fob is meant to be an extension of the handle).

After the 2 strand diamond I make a square knot fob adding in the other color strand. I finish with a 4 strand diamond. Cut the ends off as close as I can and precision melt the ends with the butane torch.

The Marlin Spike helps move knots around and make everything tight. Be patient. It takes me a few hours to make a good lanyard sometimes. Knot adjustment of the first knot takes the longest. And the 4 strand diamond is a hard knot to tie (especially if both strands are the same color).

*also a fan of Ti beads from Ti Survival
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:52 pm
A few years back I picked a few knots I wanted to learn, (2 strand diamond, snake knot, square knot, 4 strand diamond) then I'd watch a few different tutorials on each knot and screen shot the best parts. After some trial and error I was able to mash it all together into my own thing and get knot combos that worked good together.
Good idea! When I am ready to actually make something, I find myself looking for picture tutorials on google images rather than wanting to sit through a video. I can make my own pics when I actually do feel like sitting through a video and just refer to them later!
ZrowsN1s wrote:
In general some tricks I've learned; gear, a small marlin spike, scissors, and butane torch lighter.
I have the spike. Scissors and lighter could use an upgrade. Do you have any suggestions?
ZrowsN1s wrote:
I take one length of cord and fold it in half. And take the 'middle' and put it through the lanyard hole of the knife, and thread the other end through the loop, so it's attached to the lanyard hole like the lanyard will be. I then tie a two strand diamond knot loosely. Using the marlin spike I adjust the position of the knot (one strand at a time) until it's the appropriate distance from the lanyard hole. I like so it just close enough that you can slip the lanyard loop over it and undo the lanyard from the hole so you can take it on and off. If you put the knot too close, you won't be able to get the lanyard off of the knife. Too far away and the lanyard dangles off the back of the knife too much, and it's not as effective (especially on knives like Dfly where the fob is meant to be an extension of the handle).

After the 2 strand diamond I make a square knot fob adding in the other color strand. I finish with a 4 strand diamond. Cut the ends off as close as I can and precision melt the ends with the butane torch.

The Marlin Spike helps move knots around and make everything tight. Be patient. It takes me a few hours to make a good lanyard sometimes. Knot adjustment of the first knot takes the longest. And the 4 strand diamond is a hard knot to tie (especially if both strands are the same color).
Thanks for the instruction! I probably messed up at some other point, but I think my blue strand is too short, isn't it? This is as far as I got. I can mess with it more later.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:27 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Good idea! When I am ready to actually make something, I find myself looking for picture tutorials on google images rather than wanting to sit through a video. I can make my own pics when I actually do feel like sitting through a video and just refer to them later!
ZrowsN1s wrote:
In general some tricks I've learned; gear, a small marlin spike, scissors, and butane torch lighter.
I have the spike. Scissors and lighter could use an upgrade. Do you have any suggestions?
ZrowsN1s wrote:

Thanks for the instruction! I probably messed up at some other point, but I think my blue strand is too short, isn't it? This is as far as I got. I can mess with it more later.
Depends on how long you want it. But ya thats way too short for what I like to do. You need more cord than the knot needs because you need slack to work with (something to hold onto). As for scissors, just make sure they're sharp. And for butane torch, I use a zippo, but $5 cheap one work just as well.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:19 am
Depends on how long you want it. But ya thats way too short for what I like to do. You need more cord than the knot needs because you need slack to work with (something to hold onto). As for scissors, just make sure they're sharp. And for butane torch, I use a zippo, but $5 cheap one work just as well.
Thanks again for the written instruction. Sometimes that is all you need. It may not look like much, but that is the furthest I've ever gotten with such an intricate weave. I mostly just tie the Reeves draw string thing or Snake knots.

I will definitely keep an eye out for a good, small torch. The things I use to light my grill have way too broad of a flame.

It'd be great to see more of your work!

Here is some summer fun.
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Summer Fun, Summer almost Done, time to Fall into the groove.
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

IMG_0681-compressed.jpeg
The bead glows in the dark as does the end of the lanyard. It males it easier for me to pull the knife out of my pocket
Just one more knife...
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Netherend wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:54 pm
IMG_0681-compressed.jpeg
The bead glows in the dark as does the end of the lanyard. It males it easier for me to pull the knife out of my pocket
That looks awesome! What bead is that on the end??
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

BIGSTRETCH wrote: [quote=Netherend post_id=<a href="tel:1733145">1733145</a> time=<a href="tel:1690750485">1690750485</a> user_id=1006562]
IMG_0681-compressed.jpeg
That looks awesome! What bead is that on the end??
[/quote]

I apologize but I am not sure the name of the brand . I got it on etsy from a private seller. There is a whole market of glow in the dark beads.
Just one more knife...
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Netherend wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:02 pm
I apologize but I am not sure the name of the brand . I got it on etsy from a private seller. There is a whole market of glow in the dark beads.

Thanks. I've seen some of them, not in that shape though. It almost looks like a sharpened bevel on it. That is the glowing section?
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:03 pm
Netherend wrote:

Thanks. I've seen some of them, not in that shape though. It almost looks like a sharpened bevel on it. That is the glowing section?
IMG_0684-compressed.jpeg
IMG_0683-compressed.jpeg
Glad to help . It’s a small plastic semi circle bead that loops in the lanyard.
Just one more knife...
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:03 pm
Netherend wrote:

The top bead is from a company called rovyvon
Just one more knife...
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Delete
Last edited by BIGSTRETCH on Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage