Apologies - 2023 Spyderco Online Factory Seconds Sale

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: Apologies - 2023 Spyderco Online Factory Seconds Sale

Post by apollo »

I want to thank Spyderco for the sale and all the effort they put in it. Besides that i want to say thank you to Sal and Kristy for the apology but honestly i was never really mad at spyderco.

What i was mad on is people that do not really want anything but just buy stuff up in bulk to sell off later on.
Such people need to be stopped even if they turn up to be forum members.
As a fan far away in europe most things related to spyderco are regrettably to far away for me to work out. Its purely logical and thus i am never really expecting to be able to share in such a fun experience that many US members have. But its kinda a dream of mine of being able to order a “second” Manix 2 myself and make it part of my growing collection of Manixes.

I tried for hours on end until I finally got in but i was to late and all Manixes where gone so i passed on the few knives still for sale and let others have them.
I know it will be difficult to make the sale better. I do not want spyderco to put huge amounts of extra money in the sale. But i hope simple things can help to make it better. Like putting limitations on orders like for example you can only order 1 time per hour with a max amount of 2 or 3 knives per model in the cart.
I am no IT guy so i do not know if such things are possible but rules like that could make it go better.
And eventually maybe if the stars are right i can maybe some day get my “second” Manix.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Thanks for the sale. Despite everything it worked for me. I was lucky to drop in during the afternoon when traffic had dropped to a level where you could slowly make a purchase. There were about 5 knives I thought were interesting from those still available and I picked up two of them. One was a backup and the other seemed like best bang for the buck for my likes.

I would be curious if there was a denial of service attack in your network traffic in addition to the usual fans and flippers.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

OOPS, Double post. :woozy
Last edited by mongo1958 on Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

Thanks for the opportunity to get the Factory seconds. I managed to pick
Up some knives in the afternoon. It’s all good for me, I’m retired and I actually
Enjoyed the challenge of getting something. We all learn from our mistakes and
Hopefully things will go smoother next time. Best Wishes and thanks again!
c113cf caly3, c134 g.bradley ,c90 cf stretch,
c55 starmate, c66 vesuvius(x2), c39 mini-dyad
c56 zowada, c11cf delica, Spyderco (Wegner) Mouse,
c49 wegner jr, c83 persian, ladybug (x2), C101 Manix2
c05 standard(x2), c65cf Lum Chinese, c48 wegner, jester(x2)
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

TazKristi wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:32 pm
We know there were challenges and frustrations. We hear you. We’ve read every thread/post and comment on our forum and social accounts.

Shucks, Kristi.
I certainly hope the Spydie Crew isn't losing sleep or crying into their beers over this. As with Sprints, Mules, and Exclusives, the demand will surely exceed availability. We know going in that there will not be enough to go around. Some will win, some will not-win. But knives are just things... stuff... material possessions. While we may be giddy if we get what we want, no one ever suffered great bodily harm if they missed getting a new knife. And sometimes we find that getting a new knife doesn't actually improve our lives the way we thought it might. The Buddhists, Christians, and probably other groups caution us against materialism and covetousness. I'm no expert on this, so I'll leave it up to the theologians and philosophers. But regardless of what the wise men tell us, you can bet I'll be at the ready the next time the online seconds sale rolls around.

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

apollo wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:32 pm
I want to thank Spyderco for the sale and all the effort they put in it. Besides that i want to say thank you to Sal and Kristy for the apology but honestly i was never really mad at spyderco.

What i was mad on is people that do not really want anything but just buy stuff up in bulk to sell off later on.
As a fan far away in europe most things related to spyderco are regrettably to far away for me to work out. Its purely logical and thus i am never really expecting to be able to share in such a fun experience that many US members have. But its kinda a dream of mine of being able to order a “second” Manix 2 myself and make it part of my growing collection of Manixes.

I tried for hours on end until I finally got in but i was to late and all Manixes where gone so i passed on the few knives still for sale and let others have them.
I know it will be difficult to make the sale better. I do not want spyderco to put huge amounts of extra money in the sale. But i hope simple things can help to make it better. Like putting limitations on orders like for example you can only order 1 time per hour with a max amount of 2 or 3 knives per model in the cart.
I am no IT guy so i do not know if such things are possible but rules like that could make it go better.
And eventually maybe if the stars are right i can maybe some day get my “second” Manix.
I hope there will be another online seconds sale, and during that one I'll take a Manix for ya my friend ;)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

Hopefully next time maybe it is possible to have sold out items automatically deleted from our cart at checkout instead of having to manually delete it which took some time at a crucial point. That got me a few times. But I luckily still was able to get a few on my list.
I’m retired so I had the time that others didn’t. If the system worked without any glitch’s, I figured those with the fastest connections would have cleaned out all of the more desirable items.
Thanks Spyderco
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:18 am
apollo wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:32 pm

I hope there will be another online seconds sale, and during that one I'll take a Manix for ya my friend ;)
Robin that is so amazing from you! Thank you my friend you would make me so happy with that! I know its sounds crazy but a second sale Manix would be a great addition to my Manix family. :smlling-eyes :squinting-tongue
mnstang

Post by mnstang »

I for one am glad they even do something for us people that can’t otherwise make it to Golden for the inperson seconds sale. I managed to get a 2 knife mystery box and the Manix 2 15v. Tried for the 3 knife box but alas it went OOS while in checkout. We all appreciate the apology, and I’m sure in the future it will be fixed.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

A conscientious company offering an apology when they think they could do better, yep, that's Spyderco.
Completely different, I don't understand taking off work to save money on knives. It doesn't seem to make financial sense.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

I think the delay just prevented me from spending all my money on knives, I did get a SE Ayoob so I’m happy as those are mostly long gone and I am SE curious.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear mnstang:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
msum

Post by msum »

This is a pretty classy response from Kristi and the Spyderco team.

I hope it proves possible to improve things for future sales!
Subverto

Post by Subverto »

Now that people are posting their "seconds hauls" I'm pretty confused. I'm seeing people that got 5+ knives including Paysans, the full collection of 15V knives, and other highly sought after knives. And my question is how?

I live only a few miles from the Spyderco Outlet and have a 900Mbps internet connection, yet I spent 2 hours not even being able to get a single product page to load. How on earth were people able to navigate to 5+ product pages, add them to their cart, and complete the checkout process before I could even load a single product page?
clix

Post by clix »

Subverto wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:47 pm
Now that people are posting their "seconds hauls" I'm pretty confused. I'm seeing people that got 5+ knives including Paysans, the full collection of 15V knives, and other highly sought after knives. And my question is how?

I live only a few miles from the Spyderco Outlet and have a 900Mbps internet connection, yet I spent 2 hours not even being able to get a single product page to load. How on earth were people able to navigate to 5+ product pages, add them to their cart, and complete the checkout process before I could even load a single product page?
The online store is hosted in a data center somewhere, not in their office building. If you think of Mbps as lanes on a highway, all of those lanes you've got won't help you get there faster.
Formerly THG, Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:55 pm
nonstainless

Post by nonstainless »

Thanx to the entire Spyderco crew! No apologies needed.
Living many ths miles away from CO, the online sale is the only way to get seconds for me. After 3 hours almost gave up, but finally I was lucky enough to score a few.
If some effort and a bit of frustration is the extra cost then let be. Better than everything going smoothly and get OOS in a couple of minutes. The only thing I'd change for the next sale is the time and platforms to make it public. Thus the number of 'the entitled' can be reduced efficiently.
Thanx again and, please keep it up. Am looking forward for the next one. :star-struck
Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. L11:35
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Subverto wrote:

Worse yet someone on the Spyderco Facebook site, none the less, is selling a bunch of their second they just bought for a 150%-200% markup. Lucky they could navigate to and buy all those knives, I guess. I could add 2-3 but never could get to check out after 6+ hours of trying like you. My phone was worse only was able to load one product during the same time. In the past, MagnaCut Mule drop the phone was better, who knows.

I do wonder if aggressive buys used some kind of bots/programs to constantly reload automatically. Could also just be the right connection at the right time.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:42 am
Subverto wrote:

Worse yet someone on the Spyderco Facebook site, none the less, is selling a bunch of their second they just bought for a 150%-200% markup. Lucky they could navigate to and buy all those knives, I guess. I could add 2-3 but never could get to check out after 6+ hours of trying like you. My phone was worse only was able to load one product during the same time. In the past, MagnaCut Mule drop the phone was better, who knows.

I do wonder if aggressive buys used some kind of bots/programs to constantly reload automatically. Could also just be the right connection at the right time.

I know it's a free market and all, but posts like these leave a bitter taste on anyone who wanted any of these seconds and didn't succeed. This guy (actually I've seen him sell overpriced Spydies on the FB groups for years now) is selling seconds at nearly retail prices and in the case of the Manix, waaaaay over the retail. I can understand trying to make some bucks over what one has spent, but for seconds knives, this is quite a despicable way of making a profit.

Edit: and he didn't even bother to remove the price stickers on the knives...the temerity.

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:19 am
Send screenshot with their name to Spyderco, this person should not be allowed to purchase seconds in the future if they're just going to try and immediately flip them for nearly MAP pricing.
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Thank you for the Seconds sale. It's the 2nd one I've participated in. Well, it took me about 3 hours to complete my first purchase. I wasn't after any 15V's and what was in my cart was not sold out. After a few minutes I decided to try again and it took me about 1/2 hour to complete my second order. No complaints. It was my choice to constantly hit the refresh. Keep making good knives. I'll participate in your next online Seconds sale.