Wire Clip Conversion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Wire Clip Conversion

Post by Bolster »

I know a number of you have seen Guts’ printed wire clip conversions in other threads. I begged him to sell me one for my Goddard, and bless-his-heart, he did. The Goddard stands proud in the pocket with the stock clip, which is fine for a work knife…but could be dropped further into the pocket, for a social knife. This wire clip conversion fits well, and works well, to lower the knife's profile. Here are some close-ups.

The kit arrived in this printed box! Neat. Inside is the front, back, and a screw with a 5/64 hex head.

To remove the stock clip you need two nickels as screwdrivers.

Then pop the precisely-fit back into place (look at how precise the fit is!), which is printed around a metal nut. I don’t know how the plastic printing and the nut are joined, but it works great.

Flip the knife to the clip side. Drop in the front part of the adapter. It’s countersunk, so keep the countersink up/out. Now twist in the screw about half way. It first threads into the plastic, and then eventually the metal nut. When the screw is about halfway in, thread a wire clip into place around the screw head. (I purchased a black Para 3 clip for this.) Press the wire clip into the slots and tighten the screw until just snug.

Take a look at where the bend of the clip meets the knife scales. Too close, too far from the knife? My first fitting left the gap just a bit wide for my taste, so I took the clip off and gently bent the prongs in just a hair with a pair of no-mar pliers. On reassembly, it was perfect. The conversion is solid, no slop. It functions just like an original wire clip. If anything, the fit of the knife in my grip is a bit better, with a smaller clip in place. A clever and impressive bit of engineering, in my opinion.

Attachments
one.jpg
two.JPG
three.JPG
four.JPG
five.JPG
six.JPG
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
riclaw

Re: Wire Clip Conversion

Post by riclaw »

Wow! That's really well done. Good design and a quality install.
- Richard
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

That is really cool! Well done Guts!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great conversion to wire ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Guts was nice enough to send me the file so I could print my own adapter. I'm sorry to say I still haven't had time to make one. Too many other projects going on and I still need to order a long black wire clip from SFO. Hopefully soon
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

That's a neat little adapter. Pretty cool what 3D printing can accomplish with relative ease.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Wow, looks great and functions perfectly! Should be perfectly functional also for left-side carry, I assume?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

that is cool, but my real takeaway from this thread is "social knife."
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:24 pm
I know a number of you have seen Guts’ printed wire clip conversions in other threads. I begged him to sell me one for my Goddard, and bless-his-heart, he did. The Goddard stands proud in the pocket with the stock clip, which is fine for a work knife…but could be dropped further into the pocket, for a social knife. This wire clip conversion fits well, and works well, to lower the knife's profile. Here are some close-ups. ...

This is awesome! The wire clip is elegant, simple, effective. There isn't much more that you can ask for. Nice work by you and Guts
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I saw this already probably in the Goddard thread - very cool and clever solution! Glad for you you got one and like it! :smlling-eyes

(Though I personally prefer both the barrel clip and the "normal" ride of the Goddard - sticks out of the pocket just as much or a tad less as/than an Endura with the stock clip).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Man, that's so much more streamlined than when I sent out a Para 1 to a custom knife maker to install a wire clip. That's really cool!

I don't care about deep carry but I may see if I can get one of these for a Pacific Salt 1 to improve ergonomics. Wire clips interfere with my grip less than regular ones.
:unicorn
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:24 pm
the fit of the knife in my grip is a bit better, with a smaller clip in place. A clever and impressive bit of engineering, in my opinion.

That's some really spiffy workmanship. These newfangled 3D printers sure are intriguing.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

That is excellent!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I don't know if Guts is reading, but if so: How do you get a metal nut into the plastic on the back side of the adaptor? Is the plastic printed around the nut, or is the nut inserted after the piece is created?

I'm a (very) amateur machinist, and have not paid a lot of attention to 3D printing because it was plastic and therefore, I thought, too weak for most of my projects. But if you can embed metal (in this case, metal threads) into the plastic, that really changes the game!

Second question: Do you make clip adaptors for other knives?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Guts

Post by Guts »

Thanks for posting that Bolster! Glad you like it and awesome photos :clapping-hands

@Vivi
I don't own any other bolt style clip knives besides the Goddard so can't say for certain if it'll fit there too, but if the Pacific Salt 1 has the same style clip setup as the Goddard, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Anyway, thanks for the kudos everyone. I know a little bit of 3D modelling and that project just happened to turn out really well (after a bunch of revisions lol). The bolt style clip indents happened to really suit my idea for it in this case since I eventually figured out I could use a nut to retain the screw while remaining flush with the surface, instead of the screw post that I normally use for these.

The one I made for the Goddard is definitely my favorite (not very proud of the Para 3 one :winking-tongue ).
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Guts wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:31 am
Great work on all your adapters! Well planned, well executed.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Guts

Post by Guts »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:28 am
I don't know if Guts is reading, but if so: How do you get a metal nut into the plastic on the back side of the adaptor? Is the plastic printed around the nut, or is the nut inserted after the piece is created?

I'm a (very) amateur machinist, and have not paid a lot of attention to 3D printing because it was plastic and therefore, I thought, too weak for most of my projects. But if you can embed metal (in this case, metal threads) into the plastic, that really changes the game!

Second question: Do you make clip adaptors for other knives?
So you can actually just model in the cutout for the nut and then it's just a press fit. I was originally going to try a heat-set insert, but I remembered I had a bunch of those retaining nuts lying around and they happened to be black so they'd match the Goddard better than the brass heat-set inserts anyway.

And yeah I wish I'd gotten a 3D printer a long time ago. Only been at it a couple years, self taught. There's some pretty serious materials you can 3D print like PEEK for engineering purposes, or any various CF infused filaments. The clip adapters I used CF infused filament for instance. But honestly they're great for any random stuff around the house too. I made a 3D printed sign with my address for my mailbox for example because the ink on store bought stickers would keep fading.

Anyway, I posted a photo of some of the past clip adapters I've made above. Again not very proud of the Para 3 one lol, but the lanyard hole position in relation to the clip screw holes didn't lend itself to an adapter quite as well as the Lil Temp 3 and Native 5.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Guts wrote:
Thanks for posting that Bolster! Glad you like it and awesome photos :clapping-hands

@Vivi
I don't own any other bolt style clip knives besides the Goddard so can't say for certain if it'll fit there too, but if the Pacific Salt 1 has the same style clip setup as the Goddard, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Anyway, thanks for the kudos everyone. I know a little bit of 3D modelling and that project just happened to turn out really well (after a bunch of revisions lol). The bolt style clip indents happened to really suit my idea for it in this case since I eventually figured out I could use a nut to retain the screw while remaining flush with the surface, instead of the screw post that I normally use for these.

The one I made for the Goddard is definitely my favorite (not very proud of the Para 3 one :winking-tongue ).
If you have any interest in making these for the Pacific Salt 1 / Endura 3, I can ship you a knife to play around with.

It's basically the same as the Goddard, but the dimensions are probably a little different.
:unicorn
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Guts wrote:
I know a little bit of 3D modelling and that project just happened to turn out really well (after a bunch of revisions lol).

So you want us to believe you didn't just push a button and it fit perfectly the first time? That box is pretty cool, too. I bet that required a revision or two.
Guts

Post by Guts »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:21 am
Guts wrote:
I know a little bit of 3D modelling and that project just happened to turn out really well (after a bunch of revisions lol).

So you want us to believe you didn't just push a button and it fit perfectly the first time? That box is pretty cool, too. I bet that required a revision or two.
If only haha. I take no credit for the box, that's a freely available model I got, I just resized it to fit the clip adapter.