Has Spyderco ever made a Spoon?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BIGSTRETCH

Re: Has Spyderco ever made a Spoon?

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

270ultimate wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:34 pm
Why a spoon, cousin?
Obscure reference, worth looking up. Thx :grin-smiling-eyes
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I dubbed mine the tac spoon. Sharpened on the flat and it’s not a “knife” but it’s a fun back up car knife. You could sharpen just on one side but if you have a sharpened spoon you only need a fork unless you cut tines in to have a Tactical Spork Knife. Yes, I have thought a lot about this. I do have a titanium spork with a quasi knife on it but the sharpened spoon is the real deal. It’s more of a serving spoon and strong as heck. A spyderco spoon with a hole in it would be a hoot 😂 the hole would have to be on the end of the handle. The hole could act as a lanyard hole too🙃
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:32 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:12 pm
Perhaps a folding hobo knife in which the spoon has a sharpened edge?
Not a bad idea at all... :smiling-heart-eyes
I really don't hate this. Would probably end up as a Byrd, and then who knows how well its chances would be against cheaper hobo knives.

edit: Ah, KA-BAR and Case make lovely lookin' hobo knives!
Last edited by Spicy Suplex on Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

jwbnyc wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:05 pm
Magnacut Spork would sell.

Lots of great titanium sporks on the market now for $10-$20. Titanium is more corrosion resistant than the most corrosion resistant stainless steels like H1, H2, LC200N and Vanax.

The most popular are the Snow Peak Titanium Sporks which are made in Japan for $11:

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

My favorite is the Light My Fire:

It’s more of a spoon attached to a spork.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

jwbnyc wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:34 am
My favorite is the Light My Fire:

It’s more of a spoon attached to a spork.
I have this one. Love it. Always take it backpacking
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Going back to the OP’s original issue - have you considered making mango hedgehog instead of peeling it? It gives you a perfectly legitimate reason to bust out your Spyderco and slice the bejeezus out of a mango, plus if you have kids they’ll love it.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

If spyderco made a magnacut spork I would def buy it
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:42 pm
This is a half serious question, but...

How about a spoon that is just sharp (or serrated) enough to separate the flesh from Mango skin, but also dull enough that you could scoop it out and eat it without giving yourself Joker face.

Is it even possible? Is the idea too stupid to even try??? Things we must ask ourselves from time to time in life.

So here is a pic from the moment I came up with the idea. I was inspired, still not about to try sharpening a spoon though.
I'll post more about it in the Sharpening Journal.
Growing up in South Florida (lived there for 30 years) we had spoons with a serrated leading edge that were designed for eating grapefruit. They looked something like this but if you need one now, just do what my wife does and drop a spoon in the disposal and poof, you got a serrated edge. 🤣
Last edited by mongo1958 on Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

mongo1958 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:30 am
but if you need one now, just do what my wife does an drop a spoon in the disposal and poof, you got a serrated edge. 🤣
:squinting-tongue :squinting-tongue :squinting-tongue :squinting-tongue
mb1

Post by mb1 »

We keep a couple of those Kabar tactical sporks in the truck. They come in handy for travel occasionally.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:47 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:12 pm
Perhaps a folding hobo knife in which the spoon has a sharpened edge?
I had to look up what a hobo spoon was. Those are neat! Looks useful for camping and road trips.
Me too, only to find out that we were using these things when we were camping in the everglade back in the early 70's.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

JoviAl wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:03 am
Going back to the OP’s original issue - have you considered making mango hedgehog instead of peeling it? It gives you a perfectly legitimate reason to bust out your Spyderco and slice the bejeezus out of a mango, plus if you have kids they’ll love it.
My wife does that for mangos and avacados.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

That 18-8 stainless at Rockwell B 85 sure is a champ for sharpening. :squinting-tongue :zany

...nice big gooey burr.
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Stuart,

You're a funny guy!

Hey BigStretch, Talkin' Story;

We never made a production spoon, but back in-the-day when our "Road Warriors (Pitchmen) were promoting our products at shows and fairs, we had a Pitchman that worked for us named "Cookie". Hardest working man I ever met. One day, he was working at a fair and was bored, so he sharpened a spoon on the Sharpmaker. It was very sharp. He enjoyed cutting small circles out of a piece of paper with it during his demonstration.

sal
ImHereForTheMilitary2

sal wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:47 pm
Hey Stuart,

You're a funny guy!

We never made a production spoon, but back in-the-day when our "Road Warriors (Pitchmen) were promoting our products at shows and fairs, we had a Pitchman that worked for us named "Cookie". Hardest working man I ever met. One day, he was working at a fair and was bored, so he sharpened a spoon on the Sharpmaker. It was very sharp. He enjoyed cutting small circles out of a piece of paper with it during his demonstration.

sal
That is a great. You should do "story corner" every week on youtube and just tell stories
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

A large spoon shape is excellent in the pinch grip where your thumb goes into the bowl of the spoon for lots of control and being there is no tip it is ideal for skinning especially since you can glide the convex side on the game to separate the skin. This Tac Spoon is good for carving kind of bushcraft tasks and can be self defense in a pinch with its built in finger guard/choil. YMMV. I want a Tac Spoon with micarta handles made from Magnacut. Just needs a die to form the spoon and sharpen flat across the top of the bowl of the spoon
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

That is a great. You should do "story corner" every week on youtube and just tell stories
I agree!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:06 pm
sal wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:47 pm
Hey Stuart,

You're a funny guy!

sal
I think we would all love that. I don't know when he'd have time, but it would be great. Some of his stories are pretty funny. @Sal could do a show like Ron Spomer, where he sits behind a desk with a mic and answers questions sent in by his viewers. HIs staff would field the questions and organize them in advance so he could think of responses and have time to research his own history.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050