Apologies - 2023 Spyderco Online Factory Seconds Sale

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Napsterninja

Re: Apologies - 2023 Spyderco Online Factory Seconds Sale

Post by Napsterninja »

That's great Spyderco. Listening to the feedback of all the customers who participated. Who would have known 10 years ago a website can be overloaded for sales. Pretty stand up job providing a public acknowledgement. Imagine if Spyderco started a collaboration with celebrities. A Taylor Swift knife, I think at drop time the internet will break.😂 Hopefully the sales of the Seconds will help free some capital to make more cool knives, existing and new models. Keep up the great work Spyderco.👍

P.S. Shipping for the Seconds 🤯. Free shipping option to CA, eta 2 packages tomorrow and 1 on Saturday. Wow!👏🍻👊
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Thank you, Kristi.

I had no fun, and less luck, but to the best of my knowledge nobody died.

The expression “victim of its own success” springs to mind.
northmanscall

Post by northmanscall »

No need to Apologize. It was a great hunt to see if you score or not.

The Seconds Sale provides the opportunity to get some Knives which you usually would not get or can not pay.

For me it was a fun event and it took 1 hour to get 2 Knives.

Best regards.
:bug-red Stefan :bug-red
JOSH304

Post by JOSH304 »

I totally missed out on the sale. When will the next sale be? Thank you.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Could not load a page for 2 hours after sitting up to 00:30 to 02:30 in Australia. Got up at 05:15 to go to work and still got no loading of pages.
Tell the world there is 1000 knives cheap what do you expect.

I have no grudge or need no apologies. Spyderco has done me good countless times.

Left for work at 05:45 with a trusty Spyderco as always that has served me well, like I will today and tomorrow.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

TazKristi wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:32 pm
We are making improvements, and we will continue to strive to do better in the future.

That’s all one asks for. Thank you for your continued efforts.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RAHComanche

Post by RAHComanche »

Although I did not participate, acknowledging the website problem was needed and appreciated. To say it is not needed, that is being too polite. Scaling a website requires some pre planning. Now you have the data, so next time the experience should be fun for everyone!
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Thanks for paying attention to the issue.
I was rather excited to finally be part of factory seconds sale, but sadly wasn't able to get much further than seeing the homepage a few times throughout the day.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

I own over 30 Spydercos I have owned thousands of dollars of Spydercos. I obviously love Spydercos. 2020 online was a disaster. My son was able to get me two knives and I appreciated it. Magnacut mule was a disaster, I was able to get one each for me and my son. So doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is?
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear JOSH304:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
PStone

Post by PStone »

Thank you for doing the sale. No matter how it played out, I don’t evaluate my purchases with your company based on an online seconds sale. I wasn’t able to score through the sale, but did make another purchase at a dealer that day to make up for it. The mere fact that you think of those who can’t make an in person sale is really awesome. I will happily be there for the next one! Thank you for all you all do!
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

TazKristi wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:32 pm
We would like to sincerely thank everyone for their interest in the Factory Seconds Sale! The volume of traffic on our website was unprecedented. We know there were challenges and frustrations. We hear you. We’ve read every thread/post and comment on our forum and social accounts. Rather than address them point by point, we’d simply like to say, we’re sorry. We are making improvements, and we will continue to strive to do better in the future. We genuinely appreciate each and every one of you.

We are working to resolve any outstanding issues since the close of the 2023 Online Factory Seconds Sale and get orders processed and shipped as soon as possible. We’re still “listening” and appreciate your comments & feedback!

Apologies.jpg
Hey Kristi,
While I was not trying to buy any seconds and had no dog in the hunt, I did try to go on the web site to look up a knife. I am. fairly new to spyderco and sat in my chair in amazement and wondered how a company like Spyderco has created a loyal customer base with the passion of loyal football fans. In my 65 years on the planet, I have never see this before, any where.
I applaud you Syderco, job ob well done. :bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-red-white
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

JOSH304 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:11 am
I totally missed out on the sale. When will the next sale be? Thank you.
Nothing planned at this point, I am pretty sure I can speak for Spyderco on that one.

First one was winter 2020. Second one was winter 2022 and this was the third one.

My guess will be when Spyderco builds up a large stock of seconds they can’t sell at the in person event. There is also a chance, with such a pain in the *** these are for them they may stop them all together.

Personally I am rooting for more seconds sales, they are great even if frustrating.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

So, around the 8th of June, the website security changed. Since then, if I am browsing the site and refresh more than two tabs too fast, it puts me in "time out" for a few minutes. I wonder if that wasn't a factor in some peoples frustration?

Thank you for the sale. I hope there will be more in the future.
:respect
•• Beau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Thank you Spyderco listening, learning, and trying to do better. It's all one can ask.

For others, stop "tugging the forelock". It is not a privilege to buy second rate goods. However, Spyderco is blessed to have such loyal customers.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I don't believe they have the necessary data to scale for something like this. I've walked around in Golden, and there were many places where my cell phone didn't have data service, even at dialup speeds. Golden isn't a big city, and I doubt the whole town put together has the bandwidth to support an event like this. So even if they move everything to the new building and fill the current one with servers, the lines probably still won't handle the load.

These Sales, both online and in-person, are gifts from Sal and the company he built to us. Sal is a far more patient man than I am. I would have read a bunch of the initial whining and pulled the plug ten minutes in. I would have said "These ungrateful whiners don't deserve this gift I'm trying hard to give them" and that would have been the end of them forever. Aren't you glad Sal isn't me? Aren't you glad the crew he has assembled is still trying?

Thanks for the ongoing effort, crew!
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

PStone wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:00 am
Thank you for doing the sale. No matter how it played out, I don’t evaluate my purchases with your company based on an online seconds sale. I wasn’t able to score through the sale, but did make another purchase at a dealer that day to make up for it. The mere fact that you think of those who can’t make an in person sale is really awesome. I will happily be there for the next one! Thank you for all you all do!

This. This needs to be put into the heads of some knife fans out there especially those on social media. I cannot believe the extreme sense of entitlement that would make them spew words of vitriol against a company that didn't even need to do this event in the first place.

Once again thanks everyone out there in Golden. Hoping for more in the future.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sigh. Hosted servers don't live in the company basement. They live somewhere else in a datacenter that has more than sufficient bandwidth and server capacity to handle way more than this sale needs to run smoothly. Technology has moved far beyond where it was in the '90s.

If a company lacks the resources to utilize hosted services, then another method needs to be adopted. Trickling out seconds on the website all year long would solve that issue with little added overhead. I have seen other companies do this with success. The assumption being that Spyderco would hold back plenty for the in-person event.

Seconds sales are a gift to the company holding them as they get some money back on what would otherwise be a loss. Stop acting like they are manna from Heaven while you wander in a knife-less wilderness.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Hey Kristi,
Well I was fired up for my first ever Seconds Sale but unfortunately things didn’t work out for many of us, but I’d like to apologize for my little rant…after I had a sleepless night anticipating this event I made the mistake of not paying attention to the fact that the sale started in “MDT” time…then things went downhill from there with the heat outside and no shade to be found, chainsaws that wouldn’t crank,the trout bite slow, the Braves losing,and then finally logging in to see only a couple knives I wanted but no sheaths…long story short-just a BAD f’n day, but we all have them and we all handle adversity differently…I’m pretty patient until things snowball, then I usually just call it a day and go to my safe haven - a river, a tree stand, the garden or whatever and I tell myself it is what it is and even tho I hate that saying it’s right as rain…I’ve only been a real knife owner since late 2021 and I’ve had and for the most part sold everything but my Spydercos of which I believe is 31?…anyway y’all aren’t the only ones that need to be apologizing on these threads, some of us need to MAN UP and do the same so that’s what I’m doing right now…I’ve only really had one little problem and you, Kristi fixed it immediately so I thank you for that and for being a stand-up person…we’ll get em’ next time and I will NOT be working…see you at 9 EDT 😉
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

Appreciate the apology Kristi. And thanks to the entire Spyderco team for hosting this event.