C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nerdlock

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by nerdlock »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:50 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:30 pm
I'm excited to receive mine and it will be my first SE that's not H1.
Based on experience, this blade loves strooping. I have been using 4 micron diamond paste on a home made stroop with thick (3-4mm) leather. I loaded up the stroop with paste (both the top and side of the leather), then drag the blade across it almost like a reverse stroke on the sharpmaker, sliding down the leather and the blade simultaneously, with it cocked at the same angle as the tooth grind and downard a 45* so the corner of the leather slides between the teeth.

To finish I lay the non-serrated side flat and pull a couple times. This keeps the Ayoob paper cutting sharp with minimal maintenance. Strooping gets the serrated blade significantly sharper than I can get it off the SM.

Also, the likely flaw is the snaggletooth. If it really bothers you, just reprofile the tip at a steeper angle (like 18-19*) and that will eliminate the snaggle.

Thanks for the advise regarding stropping, I never had to strop H1 SE since I believe it works better with lower grit edges. Maybe I'll try this with Cruwear SE.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ramblinwreck wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:08 pm
Meh, for $100 I’m not concerned about the “snaggletooth” issue. It’s a self-defense carry knife. It will work, God forbid, in a self-defense situation. Snaggletooth or not.
I fully understand both sides of this issue with the "Not So Perfect" serrated Cruwear Ayoob models. Myself if I had one of those I would just make a "User" out of one of the "Not So Perfect" full SE units. I seriously doubt if the snaggletooth defect would affect the performance at all. However for a collector piece I do understand those concerns.

With a few of the serrated units in this Sprint Run having a flaw I just wish Spyderco would consider doing maybe one more additional batch of the serrated Cruwear Ayoob. I doubt if they would have any problem selling them. Hopefully that would remedy the problems people are pointing out.
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

Just got my 2nd from the sale.

It has a snaggletooth, but more interestingly the serrations are not perpendicular to the blade axis. They tilt to the right 5-10° if you look closely. It slightly distorts the spyder pattern too. Everything else is perfect.

Overall no big deal for a hundred bucks. Laser sharp on paper either way. I'm happy to have it!

https://imgur.com/a/SERwmf6
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:45 pm
Just got my 2nd from the sale.

It has a snaggletooth, but more interestingly the serrations are not perpendicular to the blade axis. They tilt to the right 5-10° if you look closely. It slightly distorts the spyder pattern too. Everything else is perfect.

Overall no big deal for a hundred bucks. Laser sharp on paper either way. I'm happy to have it!

https://imgur.com/a/SERwmf6
Does it affect cutting performance at all?
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

electro-static wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:03 pm
Does it affect cutting performance at all?
I only confetti'd some printer paper as a test, and actually it's one of the sharpest out of the box. It Push cut paper with no resistance and a single clean line despite the serrations.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Great to hear about the sharpness, but I worry about the tilted angle of the serrations. I wonder if that will make it very difficult the sharpen on the Sharpmaker.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:13 am
8< ————
With a few of the serrated units in this Sprint Run having a flaw I just wish Spyderco would consider doing maybe one more additional batch of the serrated Cruwear Ayoob. I doubt if they would have any problem selling them. Hopefully that would remedy the problems people are pointing out.
Judging by how many snagged an SE Ayoob on the seconds sale and how long they stayed in stock, at least this version of it can’t have been very good business for Spyderco.

Making a profit is kind of important, so I wouldn’t hold my breath while waiting for a second run.
I think this was it, but I can be wrong and really hope I am. Spyderco is known to not always choose the easy path when it comes to projects they believe in or have personal attachments to. Maybe the issues the maker seems to be having can be worked out and open the door to some new and exciting runs, but I suspect that is no trivial undertaking.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

aicolainen wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:38 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:13 am
8< ————
Judging by how many snagged an SE Ayoob on the seconds sale and how long they stayed in stock, at least this version of it can’t have been very good business for Spyderco.

Making a profit is kind of important, so I wouldn’t hold my breath while waiting for a second run.
I think this was it, but I can be wrong and really hope I am. Spyderco is known to not always choose the easy path when it comes to projects they believe in or have personal attachments to. Maybe the issues the maker seems to be having can be worked out and open the door to some new and exciting runs, but I suspect that is no trivial undertaking.
Could have also been that there were a lot of seconds as well. There were many challenges that needed to be overcome for production, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a lot of seconds made during that development process
Optimus Cultro

Post by Optimus Cultro »

Got my SE Ayoob. Unlike many of the knives I got in the 2020 seconds sale where I had to look for hard for any issues, this years knives, including the Ayoob are all pretty obvious. As for the Ayoob after a quick look over it appears that the grind is kind of funky all around. It’s not very clean at all around the plunge line or the ricasso. There is also an area of the blade edge in that area that appears to not be sharpened at all. I’m not talking the tiny amount I’ve seen on my other serrated knifes right next to ricasso. I was carrying my Tasman when I unboxed the Ayoob and the difference was stark. The serrations do not look like any of my other SpyderEdge knives either. They also look like they may be oriented a bit oddly relative to the blade edge. It looks like it has what I’m understanding people to be describing when they say a sangle tooth.

One nice thing about seconds is I don’t hesitate to make a user of them where as I find myself a bit reluctant on desirable sprints and exclusives. However, I am a bit worried about how trying to sharpen this thing will be with what appears to me to be a wonky grind job. I can’t complain about buying a sight unseen second. You pay your money and take your chances, but I’m not sure I’d have bought this one if I’d seen it first. It may have been my prior seconds purchase gave me unrealistic expectations. I’m curious what others will get as seconds.
Matus

Post by Matus »

The snaggletooth is absolutely fantastic when opening stubborn plastic packaging. I understand that it may bother people, just trying to offer a different perspective.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Mine looks exactly the same.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

What do you think makes them seconds? Uneven grind?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Did they have PE & SE both at the "Seconds Sale"?

I would imagine that both edge types sold quickly if they did.

I have no doubt that Spyderco's "Seconds" are still far better quality than most any other competitor's blades in most cases.
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

I got mine yesterday and am very pleased. All the firsts I see have the same “snagletooth”. There were around 75 at the seconds sale in May. All serrated. Mine had an odd film on it almost like a wax, but it cleaned off.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:49 am
I think mine’s weird serrations at the snaggletooth.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

- Richard
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

electro-static wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:07 am
cabfrank wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:49 am
I think mine’s weird serrations at the snaggletooth.
Mine too, I can't find any other flaws. Holding the knife in hand, it becomes obvious what happened: the factory failed to account for the (short) distal taper when grinding the serrations.
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

My 2nd has the snaggle + the serration grind angles back towards the handle about 10* (as in its not perpendicularly ground). Id call it a factory 3rd for this reason.
Action, lock, and handle, aesthetics, and centering are flawless, but the Blade has double flaws. Its a backup so it may be a while before I see if it matters at all in practical use.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:00 pm
My 2nd has the snaggle + the serration grind angles back towards the handle about 10* (as in its not perpendicularly ground). Id call it a factory 3rd for this reason.
Action, lock, and handle, aesthetics, and centering are flawless, but the Blade has double flaws. Its a backup so it may be a while before I see if it matters at all in practical use.
that's a shame. it seems that seconds were sold as firsts and whatever was worse was sold as a second. i suppose that's to be expected, given the circumstances, but still not something i'd expect from spyderco.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C