Pocket Knives and Canada Border Crossing

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Praxis

Pocket Knives and Canada Border Crossing

Post by Praxis »

I had to go to upstate New York recently on business and my wife decided to tag along so we could have a mini-vacation. We decided to visit the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. Now, I have crossed into Canada probably 6 or 7 times in the past four years by plane or boat with a Spyderco in my possession. I've done the interview with the border agents and have been asked about weapons in my personal possessions. Always said no weapons and that was that.

On our recent trip, we drove across the border and stopped at the Canadian border guard/customs booth. Was asked the usual questions (where are you going, how long is your stay, etc.) and then the weapons question. Was about to respond when the guard started to list different types of weapons including pocket knives. Now, I had a Spyderco Assist in the car for emergencies and a Kiwi in my bag. I'm familiar with Canadian knife laws, but didn't want to get into a complicated discussion with a border guard and simply said "no weapons" as my response. Guard let us go and we had no further issues other than my wife yelling at me for "lying" to the border guard about the pocket knives. :o

In hindsight, I probably should have played it safe and left all Spydercos at home rather than risk an incident with Canadian border guards, but I honestly had never encountered a guard who specifically asked about pocket knives and didn't expect one on this trip.

Anyone else have a similar experience crossing into Canada? Did I miss some major discussion about Canada cracking down on pocket knives?
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

NY State is now FUBAR'd as it is with knife laws.

You are not entering the country with a weapon. An EDC knife is a tool and finely crafted piece of cutlery.

You are safe to say no weapons.

In the future, I would suggest you do stay away from any knives that are aggressive in looks just to be safe.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Canadian law doesn't define knife a weapon, not until you use it as such. But if the customs agent wants to I'm sure he could give you a hard time, I've seen such a-hole in action hassling a mom with two kids over some uneaten fast food chicken wing.
Praxis

Post by Praxis »

Thanks guys. That confirms my understanding of Canadian/Ontario law.

I picked the Kiwi and Assist for the trip specifically because they are sheeple friendly and wouldn't pose a problem in upstate NY or Ontario. Neither have sharp tips or scary "tactical" appearance. Just took me by surprise when the guard specifically included pocket knives in the list of prohibited weapons. Makes me wonder if he was repeating an official set of questions, or simply ad-libbing.

By the way, was able to stop at the Case Knives/Zippo factory and visitor center in Bradford, PA on the way home. What a cool museum and store! :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FIMS wrote:NY State is now FUBAR'd as it is with knife laws.

You are not entering the country with a weapon. An EDC knife is a tool and finely crafted piece of cutlery.

You are safe to say no weapons.

In the future, I would suggest you do stay away from any knives that are aggressive in looks just to be safe.
You are incorrect about New York State, only New York City has problems. In my part of the state, aside from the inconvenience currently being caused by dealers and manufacturers who've jumped on the fear wagon, there have been no unfavorable changes in the law or the way it is being enforced. While there may be knives that are legal in Canada but illegal here, I am unaware of them. On the other hand I can legally own and carry a balisong and, to the best of my knowledge, the average Canadian citizen cannot.

Not to mention that, any time I've ever visited Canada, it was Canadian Customs that checked me on the way in, our boys could have cared less what I was smuggling out of the USA. ;) They (US Customs) only questioned me when I was returning since their concern was what I might be bringing back into the US. It's been a while but, IIRC, booze was at the top of their list. Of course that might mean I looked too "clean cut" to be smuggling pot. :D So, no matter how bad New York laws were, they'd only be an issue on return.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

I cross the Canada/US border regularly since I live in Canada in a border city. If asked, I always answer "no weapons" to the question. My pocket knives are "tools" so I'm not lying. A knife doesn't become a weapon unless used as one (or unless you tell the Custom agent that you are carrying the knife for self-protection :eek :)

The main concern of Canadian Customs is about the citizens of the USA who happen to be carrying a pistol in the glove compartment, under the seat, in a belt holster, etc. (something that happens regulary - lie weekly - at our local border crossing)
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Booze and Tobaco are the concerns at the most part, as are firearms. Drugs as well but that is an entirely different topic.

Deacon, yes New York City, not the State as you corrected. We also cannot carry or posses the Citadel or Embassy knives. Too bad for us. Ho hum. I have seen them here, but they are closely guarded.

Funny though, all of these knives at the border crossings that you may be shitting your pants about, take a look at what the Border Officers are carrying.

I know personally, since I assist with LE Group Buys up here in Canada, and some of my best customers are Border Officers. Happy to say Ive converted hardcore Benchmade guys to Spyderco.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I made my trip to mt rushmore ~2 years ago. We got hassled about food and snacks on the way down, and spent probably 30min between the paperwork and them going through the trunk. Have a feeling the delay had something to do with the fact that my passport has a full beard and I've got black hair :rolleyes:

On the way back up we waited in line as the lone border patrol officer went through every vehicle in the line looking. I'm sure a car full of 3 tired young adults with backpacks wasn't high on the list of dangerous suspects. The only questions he had were regarding drugs, alcohol, tobacco, firearms or food (and the bags of chips we were eating were fine). So while we did have to wait in line, the delay wasn't bad on the way up

I took the lil temp to clear most state laws, and he only questioned the se cricket in my backpack with my pile of IT gear (adapters, cables, zip ties) but didn't question the laptop or external harddrive (unencrypted and stored by computer model) when told it was my work computer. To process all the data I carry would take a week or two, and that's only a small portion of what's on my servers.

I'll likely have some fun this fall during my 2 week vacation, I'll be heading south at some point of it and probably spend a week down there. The beard is gone so that'll confuse them... and I'll have a week's worth of gear in my truck for them to go though. I just have to figure out which states I'm likely to go through and look up my laws for them.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

Another thing to keep in mind is during the summer is when alot of positions at the border are being filled with summer students from various "Criminology" programs at college. They sometimes tend to be more "zealous" in performing their duties. The other 9 or 10 months you seem to get the more seasoned hands, that booked some vacation during the summer, and crossings are somewhat more "relaxed".

I've had some memorable experiences at the border. They were all good experiences though. :)
WTC #1455
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

I had a similar exchange during a border crossing a few months back. But when Canadian border guard specifically mentioned "pocket knives" I handed him the Spyderco Delica I was carrying. He looked over, opened it, closed it and handed it back. No problem.
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

My problem is with the freaking 2 hour wait trying to get across the border (Port Huron, Michigan-avoid that place, there is only 1 lane for cars in either direction). Never had a problem with knives going either direction, though.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I never worry about my pocket knives when returning to Canada, but always declare them. The pocket knife is usually one of the reasons I cross the border in the first place, in that I often have knives purchased in the U.S. sent to a depot in Calais, Maine. As result, I let the border guards what I just purchased. Never had a problem....yet :D
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

jzmtl wrote:But if the customs agent wants to I'm sure he could give you a hard time, I've seen such a-hole in action hassling a mom with two kids over some uneaten fast food chicken wing.
Some friends of mine in a band were heading up to Canada on tour a few years ago. At the border crossing, they were pulled from the van and made to sit in a waiting room while the guards searched the entire 15-seat van and trailer full of a five person band's instruments and luggage. As I recall, they were kept there for a matter of hours and not even allowed to use a bathroom. In the end, one of the guards comes over to Van (the band leader) holding a cup, with an obvious "I've got you now!" look on his face. Guard holds out the cup and gives an accusatory, "What is this!" Van looks in the cup, looks back at the guard in stunned disbelief, then informs him, probably with just as much disdain for the guard's intelligence as he could muster, that it was a dried up orange peel. The guard's smug look vanished instantly. He threw the peel away, told them to get out of there, and skulked off.

I think the band started to avoid touring in Canada after that because every experience they'd had crossing into it was terrible, with this time being the worst.
"Nothing makes a knife maker-designer feel better than to see their efforts used." -Ed
~ My knives list ~
~ Knife photos ~
KBR

Post by KBR »

I've been to Canada a couple of times, once through New York state and the other through Washington state, and wasn't given a hard time at all either time with my EDCs.

When I was asked if I had any weapons, I simply replied 'no'. :D
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
SpyderNut

Re: Pocket Knives and Canada Border Crossing

Post by SpyderNut »

Sorry to revive an old thread here, but I have a question:

My family and I are planning a family trip up to Banff in Alberta, Canada this summer and I wanted to check to see if there have been any changes with the Canadian knife laws before we cross the border? We will be traveling by car over the border. Last summer, we drove into Canada by the way of Maine and we had zero issues with crossing the border. (The Canadian guards were a lot more friendly than the U.S. guards). I would like to take at least one small knife with us for food prep and general use. To play it safe, I’m thinking about just taking a slip-joint like the Benchmade Proper because it’s a two-hand opener and it isn’t aggressive-looking. (The blade also can’t be flicked out with the snap of the wrist). I might also take a small Victorinox too. I’ve read elsewhere that the key is not to ever say that a knife is for “self-defense” in Canada, so I’m aware of that.
What are your thoughts? Is this a good idea or am I asking for trouble?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal