Advice on my first Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Re: Advice on my first Spyderco

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Too much work getting into steels and all that. One of the reasons I like Spyderco is because I know you just cant go wrong. It seems to me like they just dont make a bad product. Sure you have to think about buying a salt if you need to use it on a boat and what not, but otherwise I bought my first spyderco based on their popularity and how much I liked the look of them. My first spyderco was a pm2 and thats probably the standard "first spyderco" knife for most people. Maybe para3 if you have knife length laws. Honestly Id say just trust your gut. You can always buy another one!
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Hi and welcome, Para 3 lw Spy27 would get my vote off your updated list…you might wanna try the Native 5 lw salt in Magnacut tho🤔
Ric

Post by Ric »

Para 3 lightweight spy27 plus a Sharpmaker.

Perfect entry knife.
S110V is not that easy to sharpen.
Jman1

Post by Jman1 »

Thanks everyone I have made my decision. I am going with the Sage 5 LW. After reading the advice here and searching around the internet it seemed like there was an advantage to the Sage 5 LW compared to the Para 3 LW. The liners and the pivot bushing seem like a better build to me even though I don't really know knives that well. The advice on not getting s110v or maxamet yet also made me go with the Sage 5. So if and probably when I buy one of those I can get it on a para 3 g-10.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

The standard steels for the Para 3 (s45vn & BD1N) are great but if something else excites you making it worth the price increase then go for it. I think the 20CV exclusive version from KnifeJoy is kind of cool and it's cheaper than the standard one. G10 or FRN is a matter of preference or feel so check them out in store if possible.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Sage 5 LW is a gem, you won't regret your choice.
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

Jman1 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:29 pm
I have somewhat narrowed my decision down to getting some type of Para 3, but I am open to suggestions if anyone has an alternative. So I have 2 questions that will help me determine which Para 3 to get.

1. Lightweight or regular?
2. Which steel to choose and why?

I am currently thinking about getting the spy27 LW or the s110v g-10.
Edit:
Blade length - under 3 inches
Budget - preferably around 200 but 300 max

After some more research and recommendations I am also considering a native 5 or sage 5 but still leaning para 3 at the moment.
I like the Para 3 - a great place to start. I have one, and found it helpful to sand the G10 just a little with (common hardware store sandpaper). You might also consider the Sage 5 LW (I have no personal experience but I have heard good things). I am sure all of these suggestions are excellent.