Spyderco Seconds Sale Scores

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
huyfishin

Re: Spyderco Seconds Sale Scores

Post by huyfishin »

I ordered a plain edge aqua salt. shipping to Canada kinda sucks and hopefully I don't get hit hard by duty fee's.
I hope it doesn't almost cost the same as me buying one local with a sheath.
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I had a frustrating experience, but I'm still 100% in favor of the online sale. There's no way I'll ever hit the in-person sale unless I'm in CO by coincidence, so this was a Golden opportunity for me. I actually got exactly what I targeted and nothing more. In retrospect, I see that as a good thing. Please keep the online sale.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I grabbed 2-5 of all three ceramic files posted today. Was hoping for some sharpening products so seeing those today was a nice surprise.

I like using a single sharpmaker rod held in my left hand to touch up serrated knives so I'll be using them in that capacity, and I plan to mount one of the square ones in a handle and throw it in my knife roll for quick touch ups at work.
huyfishin wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:32 am
I ordered a plain edge aqua salt. shipping to Canada kinda sucks and hopefully I don't get hit hard by duty fee's.
If you've never used one you're in for a treat. They're very nice.

Not sure how handy you are with kydex, but a simple folder sheath can be put together for around $8 worth of materials.

There was a guy on ebay selling the sheaths for $25 shipped which is how I got an extra one, but I'm not seeing them listed any more.
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:18 am
Keeping it in-person only may be the wisest course.
For you maybe. I don't share your opinion at all. I appreciate that they have these online sales despite all moaning and groaning. Was it a little rough? Yes! Did it take some time and persistence. Yes! Would I have been mad if I put in all that effort and wasn't able to buy anything? No! Maybe a little frustrated but not enough to keep ranting about it.

I've participated in all 3 online seconds sales and I've bought some really nice knives at bargain prices. As much as I'd like to I'll probably never make it to Golden for the in-person sale. So I'm really grateful they have it. Plus it gives some of the members from other countries a chance to buy seconds. Overloaded servers or not I really hope they don't let all the negativity effect their decision whether or not to hold another one of these sales
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

Coastal wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:33 am
I had a frustrating experience, but I'm still 100% in favor of the online sale. There's no way I'll ever hit the in-person sale unless I'm in CO by coincidence, so this was a Golden opportunity for me. I actually got exactly what I targeted and nothing more. In retrospect, I see that as a good thing. Please keep the online sale.
What you did there, I see it. 👏
z1r

Post by z1r »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:14 pm
JRinFL wrote:
For you maybe. I don't share your opinion at all. I appreciate that they have these online sales despite all moaning and groaning. Was it a little rough? Yes! Did it take some time and persistence. Yes! Would I have been mad if I put in all that effort and wasn't able to buy anything? No! Maybe a little frustrated but not enough to keep ranting about it.

I've participated in all 3 online seconds sales and I've bought some really nice knives at bargain prices. As much as I'd like to I'll probably never make it to Golden for the in-person sale. So I'm really grateful they have it. Plus it gives some of the members from other countries a chance to buy seconds. Overloaded servers or not I really hope they don't let all the negativity effect their decision whether or not to hold another one of these sales
Instead, maybe channel that negativity into resolving the issue?

While you were successful, MANY weren't. I imagine their frustration differs from yours simply due to the fact that you made purchases while many others couldn't.

I too am glad there was an online sale but the excuses and platitudes about the server(s) crashing are getting old. I kinda liken this to being told there will be a sale at a brick and mortar store at X:00 and then not opening til three hours later. All those that showed up on time have a legitimate gripe as do those who logged in at or prior to 9:00 am MST ready to shop. It was a waste of their time. I allocated some of my time, of which I have a limited supply, to shop only to find out that the store wasn't open.
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:40 am
I grabbed 2-5 of all three ceramic files posted today. Was hoping for some sharpening products so seeing those today was a nice surprise.

I like using a single sharpmaker rod held in my left hand to touch up serrated knives so I'll be using them in that capacity, and I plan to mount one of the square ones in a handle and throw it in my knife roll for quick touch ups at work.
huyfishin wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:32 am
If you've never used one you're in for a treat. They're very nice.

Not sure how handy you are with kydex, but a simple folder sheath can be put together for around $8 worth of materials.

There was a guy on ebay selling the sheaths for $25 shipped which is how I got an extra one, but I'm not seeing them listed any more.
I have the serrated version! I was inspired to get a plain edge by you lol You enabler haha

As for all the complain about website servers i'm guessing many of you have never tried to buy a taylor swift concert ticket online haha Servers get busy and they crash when it can't handle overflow. It happens on any page. Its normal. lets just be greatful.
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:14 pm
JRinFL wrote:

I said "may be" not "is". A small, but important point.

Also, I have an almost zero % chance of making the trip to CO for the in-person sale, so it was in no way an attempt secretly help myself. Additionally, I have participated in 3 online 2nds sales with exactly one success on the first event. It has been progressively worse in my experience and possibly for others. However, it appears our overseas friends had a better experience this time, so I can be happy for them.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
im25feetup

Post by im25feetup »

I for one am happy to have seconds available for purchase. The Mystery Boxes were a cool idea, I hope you continue with them .Thank you Spyderco. I just received shipping notice for my order. Excited to see what's in the first ever Mystery Boxes.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm eager to find out what's in the boxes as well.
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:14 am
Three and a half hours but it was worth it.
Paysan
Pm2
Pm2 15v
Ayoob
Manix lw S110V
Mystery Box
I'm working my way through these responses. Do you mind telling us how much the Paysan went for?
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

[quote=WilliamMunny post_id=1731948 time=1690381678

Spyderco accomplished their goal, sold seconds online to their customers. Was it smooth… no, was it perfectly executed… no, did it cause a lot of frustration and disappointment… I can tell you first hand it did.

Overall they met their goal but let’s hope next time they improve the customer experience. Some ideas:

-Only announce the sale on the forum 24-48 hours before the sale.
-Post to social media if sales are slow a day or two later.
-Sell seconds all year long adding them to the page at random times.
-Upgrade servers if cost permits/makes sense.
-Make it invite only (special link) for a few hours before opening it up to everyone.
-Etc

IMO this is one of the things Spyderco has trouble with, big online sales. Let’s try to help them improve the experience as I don’t want to see them go away but I will be as so bold to say we as customers do deserve a better experience, so let’s help them improve it. After all Spyderco does 99% of everything else great.

This is coming form someone who spent 6 hours hitting refresh on two devices yesterday, watching items I wanted sell out, and never able to make it to check out. But regardless I will be the first one in line at the next online sales event.
[/quote]

Lots of good suggestions here.

Personally, I tried 4 times throughout the day and never managed to get the Seconds page to load. Galaxy S22 5G.

I wonder if the problem is the number of customers or the number of customers all at once. Would it help to make products available at different times throughout the day. Post a list of products and drop times on the forum alongside the announcement.
- Richard
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Fine Swine wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:18 pm
Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Paysan
Pm2
Pm2 15v
Ayoob
Manix lw S110V
Mystery Box
I'm working my way through these responses. Do you mind telling us how much the Paysan went for?
$315, no case.
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

Wow, nice score! Congrats.
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

Fine Swine wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:18 pm
Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Paysan
Pm2
Pm2 15v
Ayoob
Manix lw S110V
Mystery Box
$315
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

riclaw wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:32 pm

I wonder if the problem is the number of customers or the number of customers all at once. Would it help to make products available at different times throughout the day. Post a list of products and drop times on the forum alongside the announcement.

It was the “all at once” thing. I was on it the whole way for 6 hours.

At 1 minute before game time, all of a sudden the site was sketchy….it was fine 5 minutes before. It was absolutely worthless all day for most. Six hours later, when there were about 10-12 items left that nobody really wanted, the site worked great, LOL.
msum

Post by msum »

Interesting to see what’s left.

And the thread got slightly heated, I see.

As someone who was not at all inconvenienced, it does seem there is room for improvement and I would hope that CQI applies to the website.

Congratulations to the purchasers. Seems like there were bargains to be had. I wouldn’t have minded some 15V beaters. I hold out hope for more 15V in the distant future - I’m sure the powers that be are listening. At the very least Shawn’s folder will appear.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Already have shipping confirmation on 2 of my 3 orders, so that's great. Weird though that the bug stickers that I ordered before the sale still haven't shipped yet. I guess they're prioritizing the seconds to have them shipped out ASAP.

Kudos to the folks at Golden for expediting the packing and shipment, can't imagine how many hundreds, or possibly thousands, of orders (and counting) they're processing right now. I know the volume is not something they're accustomed since these sales have only happened 3 times so far.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Paysan
Pm2
Pm2 15v
Ayoob
Manix lw S110V
Mystery Box
Looks like you did great!!! Hopefully your Paysan will be as good as mine is. Mine was also $315 when I bought it at the first online sale in December 2020. It's one of my most cherished knives and I carry it fairly often

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I've been thinking about this a little bit. There is tremendous demand because Spyderco is famous worldwide, and a lot of scammers have recognized that getting in on in-demand Spyderco products can earn them some quick profit. I wonder how many of the seconds items have already made it to ebay.
So with all of the demand it is going to be a "luck of the draw" thing whether someone gets a knife or not. I was at a fish farm one time where you could buy a small handfull of feed for a quarter to throw into the water. You would throw a couple of nuggest into the water and seemingly a hundred fish would immediately go for it, with only one lucky fish getting it. The Spyderco online 2nds sales seem to be like this.
We just recently passed the Amazon Prime Day where they had some very good deals on a few items such as televisions. They had a new ploy this time where you had to ask ahead of time for an invite, and I'm assuming they put the requests all in a hat and drew out a certain number who could log in and potentially purchase the television. Maybe Spyderco could do this- they could let people send in their request, they put all of the requests in a hat and pick out enough people to cover the stock at a maximum of 2 knives per person. Then only those people would be able to log into that part of the website on the day of the sale. This should reduce the traffic to the website and allow for a better shopping experience, nobody would be wasting hours trying to load the site and still not being able to buy anything.