Spyderco Online Factory Seconds Sale!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clix

Re: Spyderco Online Factory Seconds Sale!

Post by clix »

Formerly THG, Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:55 pm
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Clix,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Subverto

Post by Subverto »

Controversial opinion here I'm sure, but if you don't have the servers to handle an online sale don't have an online sale. It seems to have made a lot more people mad than happy. I don't have a marketing or PR background, but if you have more mad customers than happy customers I'd think that would be a net negative for the company.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I keep checking the site just in case they had a few Shamans they found laying around or a spare box or two they could not ship.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

clix wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:01 am
Some ceramic files just popped up at $0.50 a piece:

Thanks for the alert. I'm a stone junkie... not so much for knives, but for doing whatever other work that I encounter. I didn't get any knives from the seconds sale, but the stones are something I can really use. Now I don't feel left out.
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

How much is shipping for those stones? $13?
carbonfiber diet

Post by carbonfiber diet »

1st time attending the Online Factory Seconds Sale, a few observations. Yes, it was a busy day yesterday trying to access the knives. Our persistence and patience paid off throughout the day and my son and I scored the following through three separate transactions:
1. Para 2 Black
2. Manix 2 Lightweight
3. Urban Ivory Damasteel
4. Emphasis Black

Even if the pages failed to load they eventually refreshed. All in all the thrill of the hunt remains fun!

Thanks to all the staff members who made it happen...can't wait for the next one!
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

[quote=LeDe post_id=1731857 time=1690367204 user_id=
If I could get a Siren and an Aqua for around 250 euros and a smooth experience, I guess that is great. But the Aqua does not have a sheath...if the Siren is not CQI that would be a deal breaker.
[/quote]

The pre-CQI Sirens aren’t that bad. That’s why, if you think about it, they slipped through the design process.

I tested mine thoroughly when that whole thing blew up and came to the conclusion that, although it was possible to force considerable lock pop-up to occur by applying substantial force while holding the knife at the butt clear of the lock and pressing down really hard at the tip, a lot of what people were observing was movement caused by pressing on the lock while the knife was in use. That movement was not severe. I can get a Native 5 LW to exhibit some lock movement if I press the meat of my hand onto the lock and press on the tip. It is somewhat easier to do that with the Siren, but; it’s not intrinsically more dangerous than with any other back lock. Spyderco, to its credit, stepped up and moved the stop pin a little higher to make that movement a bit harder to induce but; the pre-CQI Sirens are not unmitigated death traps. Everybody needs to suit themselves but; that’s a good deal on a great fishing knife imo, whether they are CQI-ed or not. I would have bought one if I didn’t already have Two.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

ramblinwreck wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:39 am
How much is shipping for those stones? $13?
Yeah... sub optimum. I ordered a couple extra. I paid more to pay less.
vivi

Post by vivi »

No quantity limit either. I'm gonna order a few of each and if nothing else throw a few in my knife roll for touch ups.

edit: nevermind, limit is 5 on the triangle stones
Last edited by vivi on Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

jwbnyc wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:43 am
LeDe wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:26 am
If I could get a Siren and an Aqua for around 250 euros and a smooth experience, I guess that is great. But the Aqua does not have a sheath...if the Siren is not CQI that would be a deal breaker.
The pre-CQI Sirens aren’t that bad. That’s why, if you think about it, they slipped through the design process.

I tested mine thoroughly when that whole thing blew up and came to the conclusion that, although it was possible to force considerable lock pop-up to occur by applying substantial force while holding the knife at the butt clear of the lock and pressing down really hard at the tip, a lot of what people were observing was movement caused by pressing on the lock while the knife was in use. That movement was not severe. I can get a Native 5 LW to exhibit some lock movement if I press the meat of my hand onto the lock and press on the tip. It is somewhat easier to do that with the Siren, but; it’s not intrinsically more dangerous than with any other back lock. Spyderco, to its credit, stepped up and moved the stop pin a little higher to make that movement a bit harder to induce but; the pre-CQI Sirens are not unmitigated death traps. Everybody needs to suit themselves but; that’s a good deal on a great fishing knife imo, whether they are CQI-ed or not. I would have bought one if I didn’t already have Two.
I had a pre cqi siren. I definitely did not confuse the lock popping up itself with my hand putting pressure on the lock release in certain grips, and the movement was absolutely severe. The release popped up nearly 100% on mine.

What I experienced was completely unlike the lock rock I can get with my other lockbacks when doing hard push cuts on a cutting board.

That said I never cut myself on it due to this issue and it did stay locked when it was supposed to, but it wasn't confidence inspiring at all.
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:19 am
jwbnyc wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:43 am
LeDe wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:26 am

I had a pre cqi siren. I definitely did not confuse the lock popping up itself with my hand putting pressure on the lock release in certain grips, and the movement was absolutely severe. The release popped up nearly 100% on mine.

What I experienced was completely unlike the lock rock I can get with my other lockbacks when doing hard push cuts on a cutting board.

That said I never cut myself on it due to this issue and it did stay locked when it was supposed to, but it wasn't confidence inspiring at all.
Thanks a lot.

I PMed Kristi and she unfortunately confirmed there may be a mixed bag of pre/post CQI Siren.

I may have taken the risk if I could have grabbed a few other cheapies, like a Centofante, a Bow River ...
But paying shipping and taxes for a possibly pre CQI Siren and a sheatless Aqua or Ark is not a convincing idea.

Anyone in Europe could point me to some compatible sheath?

All the best,
vivi

Post by vivi »

You can make a functional sheath with an $8 sheet of kydex and a toaster oven. Heat guns and belt sanders help refine it, as well as a rivet punch, but a basic sheath can be made with a sheet of kydex and some heat.
Striple765Rider

Post by Striple765Rider »

Optimus Cultro wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:56 pm
After how badly the last online seconds sale went, I never thought spyderco would do another one. When I saw this announced, I thought they would probably take the lessons learned from the last one and that this time things would be better. On my end, this was surprisingly significantly worse. Generally, it was a very negative and off putting experience.

I appreciate an online seconds sale. I really do. Traveling to Colorado to buy knives isn’t something I would do. So having a frustrating slim chance at something online that wastes a bunch of time is something that still makes them more accessible than without it. Both seconds sales I have bought knives I never would have otherwise and I appreciate getting some good user knives at a steep discount. That said, I do not blame people who upon seeing the advertisements took time out of work, used their lunch break, etc only to have to hit refresh for a a couple hours and give up. I don’t think people thinking that 6 hours of being unable to access the website for an online sale is subpar for a company. Comments that they are little boys whining about not getting a toy is overly dismissive. In my work if we had one person trying to use our services and get five hours of computer issues we would not view it as okay and no one would think the person out of line for being a little miffed. Wouldn’t matter how hard we had worked, how good the intentions were, etc. spyderco will surely carry on and their success is evident. I’m sure they don’t need the peanut gallery of a forum to help them run their business. However, for anyone to pretend that wasn’t a disaster and that customers didn’t receive a pretty terrible experience is really putting their head pretty far in the sand. As a customer it was also pretty disappointing that it was seemingly worse than last time.

I don’t doubt that people put great effort into pulling the sale off and again for many it’s arguably still an easier experience than traveling to Colorado, but it wasn’t great and admitting that isn’t a slight to anyone. Those unwilling to admit the issues with it are the types who told the emperor how radiant his new clothes were.
Very well put!! I can't believe that some people are such boot lickers that they act like that was a totally normal and fine experience and that we're the one's who have something wrong with us because we're upset over sitting for hours and ending up empty handed. I tried for hours and ended up with NOTHING! Yeah I could have bought some of the weird little odds and ends that were left but that's not what I was willing to spend my money on. And here I thought the fight for the 15V mule was bad! LOL My best friend had the same exact experience minus about an hour and a half of time as me. He managed to actually make it all the way to entering his CC info and got it flagged as fraud and just finally threw in the towel. For him it was a bad enough experience that he said he'll never own another Spyderco. I still love the brand and their knives but it still left a VERY bitter taste in my mouth. I'm still 100% going to be buying a Millie 2 through the Opfocus program as soon as they're back in stock. Seriously thinking about picking up one of the M390 Native chiefs for $125 too just because that's a screaming deal for that knife in that steel.
Last edited by Striple765Rider on Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
Ricey_9

Post by Ricey_9 »

Super frustrating. I did score two native 5 in maxamet. For friends. I had a box in my cart and a Manix lw but couldn’t check out multiple times. I had a easier time getting one of the first 15v pm2. Something has to change. make it a lottery for it. Like tickets to a concert or something.
:bug-red-white
para3 lw spy27
Para 2 dlt cruwear
Para 3 maxamet
Manix 2 rec cts204p
Shaman knife joker cruwear
Lil native knife joy s45vn
Pm2 15v
Native 5 lw Magnacut
Knife joy Manix 2 20cv
RyanAnchors

Post by RyanAnchors »

z1r wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:59 am
LeDe wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:40 am
Jurmuscle wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:25 am
I mean I don't see a problem with people respectfully telling their story. I think it's important for Spyderco to realize that while it was a cool event, not everyone had a good time. Some people wasted hours of their day for nothing. In the army we have an after action review. We discuss good things and bad things. There is no reason to be mean about anything but at the same time someone expressing discontent with wasting a whole day seems like a legit concern. Calling them complainers because you hold yourself in some higher light is kinda messed up too in my opinion.
I'd agree with that. But balanced opinions tend to be dismissed by both sides in most debate those days.
So, this is at least the third if not 4th event that I've tried to participate in without success due to the site imploding. I'm a certified Spyderco nut, but honestly feel that my time and effort is not valued. I've wasted a good bit of both trying to participate and come away with nothing for my efforts. I think at some point, they need to re-evaluate this process and invest in whatever IT resources are needed to offer functional online sales events. I've had my share of successes in the past but the number of failures outweighs the successes and quite frankly, leaves me with a bad taste.
The first time they had one, I wasn’t able to get anything. But personally, I still wasn’t mad. It would cost them a lot of money to upgrade the site for one maybe two sales a year. They don’t have to do a seconds sale. Most knife companies don’t. They just replace whatever part is blemished and sell it at full price or they give you 10-15% off, not 50%-75% off like some of these knives. I’m not saying they’re bending over backwards for us, but it’s still a nice gesture. They also could just do the in person seconds sale in Golden, CO only, which is what they did for years before the online option. I understand the frustration, but people should be a little more understanding. No one owes them a $90 special run Manix or $37 Native or whatever.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Ricey_9 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:31 pm
Super frustrating. I did score two native 5 in maxamet. For friends. I had a box in my cart and a Manix lw but couldn’t check out multiple times. I had a easier time getting one of the first 15v pm2. Something has to change. make it a lottery for it. Like tickets to a concert or something.
Hopefully they address the issues they had and don't just move on because everything sold.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
z1r

Post by z1r »

RyanAnchors wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:41 pm
z1r wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:59 am
LeDe wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:40 am
Jurmuscle wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:25 am
I mean I don't see a problem with people respectfully telling their story. I think it's important for Spyderco to realize that while it was a cool event, not everyone had a good time. Some people wasted hours of their day for nothing. In the army we have an after action review. We discuss good things and bad things. There is no reason to be mean about anything but at the same time someone expressing discontent with wasting a whole day seems like a legit concern. Calling them complainers because you hold yourself in some higher light is kinda messed up too in my opinion.
I'd agree with that. But balanced opinions tend to be dismissed by both sides in most debate those days.
So, this is at least the third if not 4th event that I've tried to participate in without success due to the site imploding. I'm a certified Spyderco nut, but honestly feel that my time and effort is not valued. I've wasted a good bit of both trying to participate and come away with nothing for my efforts. I think at some point, they need to re-evaluate this process and invest in whatever IT resources are needed to offer functional online sales events. I've had my share of successes in the past but the number of failures outweighs the successes and quite frankly, leaves me with a bad taste.
The first time they had one, I wasn’t able to get anything. But personally, I still wasn’t mad. It would cost them a lot of money to upgrade the site for one maybe two sales a year. They don’t have to do a seconds sale. Most knife companies don’t. They just replace whatever part is blemished and sell it at full price or they give you 10-15% off, not 50%-75% off like some of these knives. I’m not saying they’re bending over backwards for us, but it’s still a nice gesture. They also could just do the in person seconds sale in Golden, CO only, which is what they did for years before the online option. I understand the frustration, but people should be a little more understanding. No one owes them a $90 special run Manix or $37 Native or whatever.
Not saying anyone owes me anything. Just saying that if you announce you are gonna have a sale, then at least have the means to conduct said sale, otherwise you are wasting your customer's time! It's not like this is the first time this site has crashed.

I love that they expanded the seconds sale to allow those that can't attend the in person sale to participate. But, if they can't actually access the site, are they really even participating? As a business person, I would never advertise a sale I could not facilitate. It would be a poke in the eye of my customer.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Mayhaps the best solution is just to keep it as a surprise? Was it the November MAP holiday or the Seconds Sale that was a 'wake up one morning and it's just happening'?

Memory seems to tell me it was the surprise MAP, but this could be used for Seconds as well. Maybe do it quarterly, to inch closer to the suggestion of seconds all year, and to give it more of a wild card effect. I'm no market expert though so who knows if this is even smart business.
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

I saw a Centofante at about $30 , did not see the Native at 37. There were better deals than others.
Anyway could not get to check out anything until the next day.
Not a great sale experience but I am not too upset. This was my first and I enjoyed following the stories here.

I still think they should improve it. If the cost of occasional extra bandwith is too expensive maybe they could ask people to register and organize a draw. People could get 45mn or 1h to order and then be kicked out to leave space to the next batch.

Best,