Atlantic v. Pacific?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Atlantic v. Pacific?

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Sorry if this has been addressed already. I did try to search that and way too much came up and no real answers. Can someone explain to me the difference between atlantic and pacific salt models? Thank you
vivi

Re: Atlantic v. Pacific?

Post by vivi »

Different handle shapes, and Endura blade shape with a blunted tip VS a wharncliffe blade style without much of a tip.

The Atlantic has a comfy handle but I roll with Pacifics for the better general purpose blade. The Atlantic strikes me as a more dedicated boating knife.
:unicorn
olywa

Post by olywa »

That about covers it. Atlantic also has a choil, while the Pacific does not.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:00 pm
The Atlantic strikes me as a more dedicated boating knife.

Just so. I have a friend who became an in-the-record-books solo sailer. I told him I was going to get him a Spyderco--but which? He wanted the Atlantic...why? "Last thing a sailor wants is a pointy edge to stick himself with, when he's a thousand miles from anywhere." Apparently wharncliffes and sheepfoots have been the traditional choice of sailors for generations.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
olywa

Post by olywa »

Rafters like 'em too. Sharp points are a no-no in inflatables.