The Sliverax

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

The Sliverax

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Now that I have my Military 2 speeding its way to me thanks to DLT, I've got the "spyderco disease" and now I'm looking at picking up the Sliverax on Friday. The more I look at this knife, the more I like it. Does anyone here have any reason why I shouldn't? Anything I should know about?

Thanks in adv.
vivi

Re: The Sliverax

Post by vivi »

It's a really cool design but since it has been discontinued for a few years it may be tough to track down.

I'd be interested in a fixed blade version. I came up with a fixed blade design that was very close to a fixed Sliverax.
:unicorn
ImHereForTheMilitary2

vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:35 pm
It's a really cool design but since it has been discontinued for a few years it may be tough to track down.

I'd be interested in a fixed blade version. I came up with a fixed blade design that was very close to a fixed Sliverax.
The reason I saw it is because I was browsing on DLT and it showed as in stock. Okay maybe I shouldn't wait until Friday :woozy
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yeah I'd jump on that right away if you're interested. Unlikely another one will ever roll off the production line, and saves you from having to hunt one down on the secondary market.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have three of them 🤣

It's ranked very very high on my favorites list. It's a quirky design though, and people seem to love it or hate it. It's my go-to model for more formal dress. The biggest flaws I think people see are 1) the flipper tab will hit your finger if you don't move it off the lock tab when dropping the blade closed and 2) the detents are on the weaker side which can make flipping weaker and sometimes unreliable. You can tweak the detent to make it stronger if you're comfortable doing that sort of thing, one of mine has been modded and the flipping action is significantly better than the other two. You can also grind off the flipper tab entirely if it's not your thing, I've done this to one of mine and it functions just fine as a thumb opening only knife.

Here's my bobbed version.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ric

Post by Ric »

I had big detent issues. It was too weak. I could shake it open quite easily.

Design is great. I also liked the negative angle of the blade.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:58 pm
Yeah I'd jump on that right away if you're interested. Unlikely another one will ever roll off the production line, and saves you from having to hunt one down on the secondary market.
Good call, I just ordered it. Thnx for the advice
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:43 am
I have three of them 🤣

It's ranked very very high on my favorites list. It's a quirky design though, and people seem to love it or hate it. It's my go-to model for more formal dress. The biggest flaws I think people see are 1) the flipper tab will hit your finger if you don't move it off the lock tab when dropping the blade closed and 2) the detents are on the weaker side which can make flipping weaker and sometimes unreliable. You can tweak the detent to make it stronger if you're comfortable doing that sort of thing, one of mine has been modded and the flipping action is significantly better than the other two. You can also grind off the flipper tab entirely if it's not your thing, I've done this to one of mine and it functions just fine as a thumb opening only knife.

Thx for the lengthy review! I just order one while still in stock. That picture is awesome it is a very nice looking nknife
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:17 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:43 am
I have three of them 🤣

Thx for the lengthy review! I just order one while still in stock. That picture is awesome it is a very nice looking nknife

I know I've made a couple dedicated threads about it too if you wanna search for them. One of them at least about removing the flipper tab. I also had some serrations cut into one and it was a disaster lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I bought someones de-flippered version. I'm not really a fan, but I might have liked it better if mine still had the flipper tab. Two things are for sure, it looks good and you will not slide up on to the blade. Very safe design in that respect.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Sliverax is still currently in production and has not been discontinued, by the way.
-Nick :bug-red
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:33 am
The Sliverax is still currently in production and has not been discontinued, by the way.
Well i guess that explains why dlt had them in stock! Good to see it is still in production. thx for the update
JRinFL wrote: I bought someones de-flippered version. I'm not really a fan, but I might have liked it better if mine still had the flipper tab. Two things are for sure, it looks good and you will not slide up on to the blade. Very safe design in that respect.
Good point on safety. I like flippers I cant imagine spending this much on a knife just to grind it down.
Evil D wrote: I know I've made a couple dedicated threads about it too if you wanna search for them. One of them at least about removing the flipper tab. I also had some serrations cut into one and it was a disaster lol.
Thanks! I will look for those posts. No way will I remove the filpper and thx for the head up on adding serrations. I personally feel like spyderco should add serrated versions for every model they produce. I love serrated and combo blades
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:33 am
Thanks for the correction, thought it had been discontinued back in 2021 or so.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Sliverax is one of my all-time favorite Spyderco models. I think it's a fantastic design. A buddy of mine ordered one for himself and he really likes it. I think it's one of the sleeper models that often gets overlooked. It carries well too

It's also not discontinued that I'm aware of. It's still in the catalog and available at the SFO
Ric wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:47 am
I had big detent issues. It was too weak. I could shake it open quite easily.
Mine was fairly weak but so are a lot of other Taichung models. It's a pretty easy fix. Mine's really nice now and flips great

viewtopic.php?p=1294128#p1294128
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Regarding the detent, wouldn't it be easier to just add a little tension to the comp lock by bending it outward more, rather than drilling the detent hole a bit?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:32 pm
Regarding the detent, wouldn't it be easier to just add a little tension to the comp lock by bending it outward more, rather than drilling the detent hole a bit?
That might help a little but I think opening the hole and having the ball sit down inside a little more has a more positive effect. I've only ever tried to do the opposite on a frame lock knife that had a crazy strong detent and it didn't change much. I already had the tools I use to open the detent hole. It's a not brainer to do as long you assemble the knife and test as you go. The blade is hard so even with a diamond tool it takes some time to do by hand. I could use my drill press or rotary tool but prefer to do it by hand to prevent going too far

BTW, my friend thinks the detent on his was fine and he's very mechanical (also a surgeon) and likes to tweak things to his liking. So not all will have a really weak detent. A while back I heard rumors that the Taichung plant was working on improving the detents on their models. Maybe the latest batches of Sliverax are better in that regard now

Also, I have no issue with the flipper tab hitting my finger. I've never really understood that. I guess my finger automatically moves out of the way because it's a non-issue for me. I could grind the tab off but I prefer to have it there
vivi

Post by vivi »

Also, I have no issue with the flipper tab hitting my finger. I've never really understood that.
Same with me and my Yojumbo. It's amazing how many people can't learn to simply move their finger a quarter of an inch.
Ric

Post by Ric »

It's not a cheap knife.
I had very bad experience to disassemble my Manix 2 and Para 3 (soft screws,..).

It must be OK out of the box.
If I buy a Porsche it must be perfect.
If I buy a Dacia it can have some minor flaws.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Ric wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:13 pm
It's not a cheap knife.
I had very bad experience to disassemble my Manix 2 and Para 3 (soft screws,..).

It must be OK out of the box.
If I buy a Porsche it must be perfect.
If I buy a Dacia it can have some minor flaws.
None of the better models are inexpensive and, you're right, we shouldn't have to work on them to get them to our liking. I've adjusted pivots and made minor adjustments to several brand new knives.The light detents aren't optimal for a lot us but that's how they were coming. As I mentioned, I read one of the designers of one of the other collaboration models made in Taichung said they were working to improve detents. Hopefully they have and they're better now

Oh...BTW, people buy new Porsches and upgrade them all the time
Ric

Post by Ric »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:20 pm
Oh...BTW, people buy new Porsches and upgrade them all the time
Sure, upgrading, customizing, but not repairing.
And there are plenty of shops to do so.
I have no Spydie Performance Center nearby ;-)