Centofante wharncliffe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
crazywednesday

Centofante wharncliffe

Post by crazywednesday »

Can we bring it back please? Even just a sprint run. My coworker blew a hole in mine cutting a zip tie.
Justin
capt.carl

Re: Centofante wharncliffe

Post by capt.carl »

Would love to own one again someday. Such a laserbeam with thin stock and hollow grind
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Centofante 4 (and 3) are the most underrated models in the line up. I'd take a more textured scale update and an upgraded steel.
olywa

Post by olywa »

A Centofante 4 Wharnie re-issue would be most welcome.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Sal allready mentioned something about this one being in the pipeline.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:39 pm
Sal allready mentioned something about this one being in the pipeline.
^this is correct.

with any luck, your grandchildren might still be alive to see it released.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

Count me in for 2.

Really really want to see the Centofante 4 revived! I just scored a C3 in the seconds sale and I'm excited to see how the thin blade slices.

I think it's replacing my PM3lw as my backpacking knife as the pm3 cuts like a wood splitter with its short, 4mm thick blade
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

crazywednesday wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:58 pm
Can we bring it back please? Even just a sprint run. My coworker blew a hole in mine cutting a zip tie.
Are you talking a chip? I'm having a hard time envisioning this. But I'm sorry for your loss none he less.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Of all the classic models getting updated to screw construction and getting sprint runs, this is up there with my most wanted models. It still baffles me that both these knives (3 and 4) aren't more popular. Make it in G10, give it screw construction and both liners and 4 way clip to please everyone and start cranking them both out in sprints and exclusives. I'd settle for screw construction and steel variants.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Such a great knife with one of the most beautiful blades produced by Spyderco . One of the actually only dedicated right hand knife I own and one of the few that replaces my Dragonfly Salt in right pocket . Dave nailed it , I would buy both if there would be an upgrade as suggested . The Centy 3 and 4 should both get more attention . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I’m also guilty of forgetting this model exists, well the C3 that is, but both are really interesting knives.
I’ve dismissed it in the past for lack of grip texture and the pinned construction, and a model that has once been dismissed can often be hard to bring back into view even if my analysis of what I require in a knife has changed slightly over the years.
I’d still prefer more grip and a screwed construction, but it’s not a dealbreaker to the extent it used to be. Certainly not enough to miss out on such a unique model. I think I’ll move it up the list and try to grab a C3 while they’re still around. Then a C4 later on if it’s ever brought back.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:52 am
I’m also guilty of forgetting this model exists, well the C3 that is, but both are really interesting knives.
I’ve dismissed it in the past for lack of grip texture and the pinned construction, and a model that has once been dismissed can often be hard to bring back into view even if my analysis of what I require in a knife has changed slightly over the years.
I’d still prefer more grip and a screwed construction, but it’s not a dealbreaker to the extent it used to be. Certainly not enough to miss out on such a unique model. I think I’ll move it up the list and try to grab a C3 while they’re still around. Then a C4 later on if it’s ever brought back.
I understand your point and must say the model brings me back to older construction of Spyderco knives . Sometimes simple can be good . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Bemo wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:16 pm
crazywednesday wrote:
Are you talking a chip? I'm having a hard time envisioning this. But I'm sorry for your loss none he less.
He electrically arced a notch out of the blade. I dont think I still have it or I would snap a pic for you. It was very substantial. Think tip in wire, mid blade shorts to ground.
Justin
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

crazywednesday wrote:
My coworker blew a hole in mine cutting a zip tie.
Was he cutting a zip tie with a 357? :')
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Yeah, I've looked for this model off and on over the years but still haven't picked one up. The model 3 has perfect ergonomics, another vote for updated materials and screws, etc.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'll take a model 4 in anything I can get. But, screw construction and k390.... definitely would get one or 2 to keep in reserve.
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

I just got the C3 in the seconds sale. I love this little knife. For the same weight as the p3lw, I like it much more...except for 1 thing...

The ricasso is way too short! I cut the **** out of my pointer finger flicking it closed! Due to the extremely small ricasso 1 handed closing is much much more difficult than something like the ayoob or delica which have an adequate ricasso, such that you can flick the blade down onto your finger to begin the closing sequence.

I never use the back of the blade anyways, so for the C5, spyderco, Please add 3/8" to the ricasso so this knife can be closed 1 handed easily.

All back locks should have a finger worth of ricasso for a finger-stop. That is 70% of the benefit to backlock!

And any stainless or semi stainless for edc. Spy27 or magnacut both sound nice to me

https://imgur.com/a/cvrnLeV
Last edited by Spyderwebs on Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Never knew these existed. I have a std. Centofante and love it. A great thing to pick up at the Seconds sale when available. Love the look of that Wharnie blade!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Leave the ricasso alone, the edge goes ALL the way back and I'm all for it
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:59 am
The ricasso is way too short! I cut the **** out of my pointer finger flicking it closed! Due to the extremely small ricasso 1 handed closing is much much more difficult than something like the ayoob or delica which have an adequate ricasso, such that you can flick the blade down onto your finger to begin the closing sequence.

I never use the back of the blade anyways, so for the C5, spyderco, Please add 3/8" to the ricasso so this knife can be closed 1 handed easily.

All back locks should have a finger worth of ricasso for a finger-stop. That is 70% of the benefit to backlock!
I disagree and I generally close most back locks the way you do. For knives like the Centofante put your index finger in the Spydie hole, press the lock bar with your thumb, and guide the blade down as far as you're comfortable with (you don't need to go far). From there grab the hole with your thumb and pull the blade the rest of the way closed
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!