Spyderco Online Factory Seconds Sale!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thuyenbuom

Re: Spyderco Online Factory Seconds Sale!

Post by thuyenbuom »

Thank you Spyderco Online Store for the Factory Seconds Sale! :smlling-eyes
Last edited by thuyenbuom on Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Necromonger: What do you think of this blade?
Riddick: I think it is a half gram heavy on the back end.

The Chronicles of Riddick - Blade Scene
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:14 pm
Thanks for making this available, u/TazKristi + the whole SpyderCrew.

I'd like to apologize on behalf of the frustrated little boys whining about not getting their way this morning.

You guys are the best. I know you'll continue to work on your process, as you always do.
warning: virtue signals have been known to cause cancer and birth defects in the state of california.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

ramblinwreck wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:24 pm
You can find Aqua sheaths on eBay for $25
Thanks, would have to check but nothing is quite as easy for European customers.
vivi

Post by vivi »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:36 pm
Prior to the sale I double checked all my account info to make sure it was up to date.

Finally got to my cart and got this. Called support and they said they can't do anything right now, and that maybe they'll be able to clear my account a few hours from now.

Anyone wanna order a knife for me? Doubt it's ever gonna work for me.

disappointing.
Well they sold out of the item I wanted before they fixed my account so I could give Spyderco my money.

Wonderful experience.

Cherry on top is having people call folks like me whiney for expecting to be able to place an internet order with a company in less than six hours. Guess I'm entitled.
:unicorn
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Well, finally got in, smooth as smooth from there. Aqua Salts were still there. Picked up an SE and PE. Would have gone for two SE, but that wasn’t allowed by the cart. Also couldn’t pass up a Waterway.

I can’t imagine why I could not get on the site at all for so long. Thanks to Kristi, in general, and, specifically if she had to straighten anything out for me to take advantage of these great deals

Pickings were slim at this time of the day.
Last edited by jwbnyc on Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

jwbnyc wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:39 pm
Also couldn’t pass up a Waterway.
This was the steal of the day, IMO.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

👍🏻
Optimus Cultro

Post by Optimus Cultro »

After how badly the last online seconds sale went, I never thought spyderco would do another one. When I saw this announced, I thought they would probably take the lessons learned from the last one and that this time things would be better. On my end, this was surprisingly significantly worse. Generally, it was a very negative and off putting experience.

I appreciate an online seconds sale. I really do. Traveling to Colorado to buy knives isn’t something I would do. So having a frustrating slim chance at something online that wastes a bunch of time is something that still makes them more accessible than without it. Both seconds sales I have bought knives I never would have otherwise and I appreciate getting some good user knives at a steep discount. That said, I do not blame people who upon seeing the advertisements took time out of work, used their lunch break, etc only to have to hit refresh for a a couple hours and give up. I don’t think people thinking that 6 hours of being unable to access the website for an online sale is subpar for a company. Comments that they are little boys whining about not getting a toy is overly dismissive. In my work if we had one person trying to use our services and get five hours of computer issues we would not view it as okay and no one would think the person out of line for being a little miffed. Wouldn’t matter how hard we had worked, how good the intentions were, etc. spyderco will surely carry on and their success is evident. I’m sure they don’t need the peanut gallery of a forum to help them run their business. However, for anyone to pretend that wasn’t a disaster and that customers didn’t receive a pretty terrible experience is really putting their head pretty far in the sand. As a customer it was also pretty disappointing that it was seemingly worse than last time.

I don’t doubt that people put great effort into pulling the sale off and again for many it’s arguably still an easier experience than traveling to Colorado, but it wasn’t great and admitting that isn’t a slight to anyone. Those unwilling to admit the issues with it are the types who told the emperor how radiant his new clothes were.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:14 pm
Thanks for making this available, u/TazKristi + the whole SpyderCrew.

I'd like to apologize on behalf of the frustrated little boys whining about not getting their way this morning.

You guys are the best. I know you'll continue to work on your process, as you always do.
I agree thank you Spyderco for making this happen.

But on the flip side this was very poorly executed by Spyderco and not a surprise as it’s happened before. It is impossible to make any argument that their site performance was unacceptable as a consumer. I mean places like REC and St Nicks can handle this type of traffic when they release sprints, why is it too much to expect from Spyderco?

It is frustrating to be excited for something, rearrange your day around the sale, only to struggle for 6 hours to make a purchase and come away with nothing. It’s only fair to be frustrated but still love Spyderco and its hardworking employees.

Also bring on an OPFOCUS online second sale!!!
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

I wish they would develop a waiting room system that allows time to checkout without crashing. Probably won’t happen, but would make for a much better buying experience.
Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

Optimus Cultro wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:56 pm
After how badly the last online seconds sale went, I never thought spyderco would do another one. When I saw this announced, I thought they would probably take the lessons learned from the last one and that this time things would be better. On my end, this was surprisingly significantly worse. Generally, it was a very negative and off putting experience.

I appreciate an online seconds sale. I really do. Traveling to Colorado to buy knives isn’t something I would do. So having a frustrating slim chance at something online that wastes a bunch of time is something that still makes them more accessible than without it. Both seconds sales I have bought knives I never would have otherwise and I appreciate getting some good user knives at a steep discount. That said, I do not blame people who upon seeing the advertisements took time out of work, used their lunch break, etc only to have to hit refresh for a a couple hours and give up. I don’t think people thinking that 6 hours of being unable to access the website for an online sale is subpar for a company. Comments that they are little boys whining about not getting a toy is overly dismissive. In my work if we had one person trying to use our services and get five hours of computer issues we would not view it as okay and no one would think the person out of line for being a little miffed. Wouldn’t matter how hard we had worked, how good the intentions were, etc. spyderco will surely carry on and their success is evident. I’m sure they don’t need the peanut gallery of a forum to help them run their business. However, for anyone to pretend that wasn’t a disaster and that customers didn’t receive a pretty terrible experience is really putting their head pretty far in the sand. As a customer it was also pretty disappointing that it was seemingly worse than last time.

I don’t doubt that people put great effort into pulling the sale off and again for many it’s arguably still an easier experience than traveling to Colorado, but it wasn’t great and admitting that isn’t a slight to anyone. Those unwilling to admit the issues with it are the types who told the emperor how radiant his new clothes were.

Dilly, dilly! ☝️ That’s what I’ve been saying and writing….how some call this a successful experience for a company is a headbanging moment 😳

CDEP

Post by CDEP »

Spyderco fans expend tremendous time and effort to travel to Golden and participate, in person, in the SFO Seconds sale. I doubt my schedule will ever allow for that trip to Mecca, so the relatively minor effort required of me today in order to score 5 great knife deals (3 of which were knives I thought I'd only own if I paid Ebay prices) was really not anything that I feel I can complain about. Two hours of refreshing a browser vs a three day trip to Golden?

I suspect that the costs of boosting site capacity so as to handle this ONE DAY of extreme traffic would make it prohibitive, and result in Spyderco sticking to the Golden in-person sale only - which would leave me out.

I doubt very much that the Online Store has anywhere near the traffic, on a daily basis, of the retailers who handle the Sprint and Exclusive drops, and some jam ups are to be expected. It was, IMHO, better than I had anticipated.

I offered to make buys for a couple of people who were not getting in at all, and maybe next time more people can do that.

Thanks to Kristi, Sal, and the entire Spydie Team for doing this sale. I hope it will become an annual event.
Brian
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

Here in Arizona I tried the to get on when they started, no luck.
Went on about my business and periodically tried during the day
Without success. I was able to get on the forum and see what was offered
From that screenshot grab that someone did. I was hoping to get a Military
And a Paramilitary. Finally got thru about an hour ago. My faves were gone
So I picked up a couple of Clipit tools and a Siren. No complaints from me,
I’m pleased with the bargains I got.

Thanks for the sale Spyderco
c113cf caly3, c134 g.bradley ,c90 cf stretch,
c55 starmate, c66 vesuvius(x2), c39 mini-dyad
c56 zowada, c11cf delica, Spyderco (Wegner) Mouse,
c49 wegner jr, c83 persian, ladybug (x2), C101 Manix2
c05 standard(x2), c65cf Lum Chinese, c48 wegner, jester(x2)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

To credit Spyderco's customer service dept., they did check out my account and made sure it was good to go, and they called me back. Can you imagine how many calls a smallish company like Spyderco probably took and made, today?

Today was rough, but it definitely wasn't due to the Spydercrew not busting their tails to try to get through this. Success is a relative term, it looks like things slowly got less crazy and the crew did the best they could.

Something more high availability would be nice for the store, but I can count on one hand the number of times the site has really been slammed like this out of the last several years (the 3 online seconds sales and the magnacut sale were all heavy and took time/patience, I think 5V got pretty big but wasn't as hyped as the other sales). It's a lot of time and money in gear/server time/training/coding that will probably eventually be worked out but it would be a big hit to the budget.

I hope the Spydercrew will keep doing these now and again, it's nice to be able to save that kind of money on great, functional knives.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yep. I said it in the ayoob thread, but Spydercos staff were incredibly friendly today and a pleasure to deal with, despite the insane volume they were dealing with.

The only issues I had were with the website, not the people that make up the company.

Keeping your cool on an extremely busy day is a valuable character trait. I've seen plenty of cooks and waitresses have melt downs on mothers day weekends etc. to know not everyone can handle days like this while keeping their composure.
:unicorn
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

CDEP wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:29 pm
I suspect that the costs of boosting site capacity so as to handle this ONE DAY of extreme traffic would make it prohibitive, and result in Spyderco sticking to the Golden in-person sale only - which would leave me out.

I doubt very much that the Online Store has anywhere near the traffic, on a daily basis, of the retailers who handle the Sprint and Exclusive drops, and some jam ups are to be expected. It was, IMHO, better than I had anticipated.
yep, this. We're not talking about a a huge company, or one that does the vast majority of their sales online, but one that offers most things online and occasionally does cool stuff like this that draw loads of traffic. I can't help buit think it was notably higher this time than the last couple based on server behavior (actually, the Dec 2020 sale was similar, but today was the first time I've had the anti-fraud filter mess up on me)
XjJunky

Post by XjJunky »

Yes, awesome wife. Make sure you tell her that tonight!
[/quote]

Absolutely did and do on a daily basis. She came home to a bouquet of her favorite flowers for all her troubles. As she told me after sending me the screen shot, and I quote " I'm just working on getting my new truck 1 knife at a time" lol
:usflag Living Till The Death Of Me :bug-red-white
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:37 pm
Yep. I said it in the ayoob thread, but Spydercos staff were incredibly friendly today and a pleasure to deal with, despite the insane volume they were dealing with.

The only issues I had were with the website, not the people that make up the company.

Keeping your cool on an extremely busy day is a valuable character trait. I've seen plenty of cooks and waitresses have melt downs on mothers day weekends etc. to know not everyone can handle days like this while keeping their composure.
Totally agree, I called twice. First time to report the 8002 fraud error (when I had my $150 box and shaman in cart) then a few hours later as I was still block. They could not have been nicer and said I was on a list to get unblock but their webmaster had a lot to go through. Still was not unblocked at the end of the day but I knew they were working their *** off.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
not_the_sharpest

Post by not_the_sharpest »

I was out and about with pretty poor service, and never got through to the website. I got back to the house around 2:00 and was able to pick up a lightweight Manix and a Native both in Maxamet. I didn't have a Native, and did not have a lightweight version of the Manix, I have no knives in Maxamet.
While I was also bummed about the performance of the site, I don't need more knives. I do wish some more was available when I finally got through, I would have loved a Shaman, I'm still happy to be able to try a couple new models in a new steel.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I was able to get a Swick into the cart this morning, but couldn't check out within 2 hours, so got busy with life. Came back this afternoon, 9 hours later, the Swick is still sitting in my cart. Purchased.

I guess I got lucky - the one knife I was interested in, other people didn't want. They're still in stock. I know it comes with no sheath but I have a Kydex setup in the garage and will be able to supply the missing part.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189