Sharpmaker Diamond vs CDN Rods for Sharpening CPM 15V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mtice2

Sharpmaker Diamond vs CDN Rods for Sharpening CPM 15V

Post by mtice2 »

I have decided to invest in improved sharpening stones now that I own a CPM 15V Shaman. I already have a Sharpmaker so was thinking og sticking with that. Those with experience with both and CPM 15V, which would you recommend?
Matus

Re: Sharpmaker Diamond vs CDN Rods for Sharpening CPM 15V

Post by Matus »

Both will work, but will leave a very coarse edge. The ceramic ones are not optimal for such a steel. I would personally recommend getting either some diamond-based system or get a 2 diamond stones (rather than plates, but plates will work too of course) and learn free hand sharpening.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

mtice2 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:00 pm
I have decided to invest in improved sharpening stones now that I own a CPM 15V Shaman. I already have a Sharpmaker so was thinking og sticking with that. Those with experience with both and CPM 15V, which would you recommend?
I ended up going with CBN rods for my sharp maker. Both will work fine on 15V steel, but I did hear the CBN is less damage prone than diamond. Unless it is bonded you needed to be careful with the diamond rods.

This is from what I have hear in my research.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Do you know the grit rating on the rods? Spyderco has a CBN plate rated at 400 and 800. If the rods are low enough, you could apex on the rods, deburr on the 800-grit plate, and then strop with some diamond compound.
mtice2

Post by mtice2 »

From what I have read the CBN rods are 400 mesh (same as 400 grit?). I am not good a free hand and want a nice edge on this Shaman 15V, not wanting it to be my learning piece. Maybe I step up to a guided complete diamond set up at a reasonable price. Any recommendations
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Spyderco should consider offering fine CBN or diamond rods for the S-maker, now that uber hard carbide steels are becoming more commonplace.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mtice2,

Welcome to our forum.

The CBN or Diamond rods will work well for you. Don't press hard. Let the stones to the cutting.

sal
mtice2

Post by mtice2 »

Sounds good. Thank you for the reply Sal
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

So, which did you go with?

I just bought a new Sharpmaker and I feel the need to buy one set or the other myself, but can't decide.

I'm no collector, nor am I worried about a fine, polished edge. I have a new Spyderco Para 3 LW and an old Persistence and a Case Mako, some SOG's and even an old, American Schrade LB7 from the early 80's for construction work and mostly just work, whittle and build stuff.

Which do you think would last the longest in a Redneck environment.....?
olywa

Post by olywa »

I eventually wore out my Diamond rods and replaced them with CBN rods. No regrets. I've also been freehanding my SE blades on the CBN Webfoot and it's now my preferred way to sharpen SEs. I leave some coarse, and some get refined on the Golden Stone. Wish there was an 'in-between' to complete the trifecta.
Last edited by olywa on Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Murphy Slaw wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:35 am
I just bought a new Sharpmaker and I feel the need to buy one set or the other myself, but can't decide.
Hey, Murph.
I would shy away from the diamond rods for everyday sharpening. I've found them to be very coarse with a tendency to "beat up" the edge. The diamond would be suitable if your intention is to remove a lot of material from a neglected edge, and then do your finish work with the standard rods. I've not used the Sharpmaker CBN rods.
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

People get freaked out by the gritty and rough feeling of plated diamond/cbn abrasive sharpeners, but that is just good abrasive feedback for the user to know it is working. Use a light touch and you will be thankful to have these abrasives on such a hard piece of steel.

As far as Diamond vs CBN... Diamond is tougher, holds it's form better and probably lasts longer, which is something to think about on any plated abrasive as you're dealing with a single layer. CBN sheds facets of it's self as you sharpen, "self renewing" and probably cuts faster with less pressure because of it- similar to how some whet stones are more "friable" than others, only we're talking a single layer of abrasive particle here. Personally, I'd go with CBN if all else is equal, but in a lot of circumstances- the diamond represents better value if for no other reason than it being more available.
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

I don't know that I should promote a competitor here... but anyone looking to try out CBN should look at Woodturners Wonder's #600/#1000 plates. Extremely affordable, anyone who has used a Spyderco, DMT or similar diamond coated plate will probably notice how quickly the stuff breaks down and smooths out in comparison though.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharpening something like 15V with a Sharpmaker seems like such a waste of time honestly. If going with a full reprofile, it would take an eternity compared to other options out there. Seeing a lot of talk about reprofiling all these new supersteels using CBN or Diamond rods. A guided system or bench stones is the way to go with something like 15V.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:17 am
Murphy Slaw wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:35 am
Hey, Murph.
I would shy away from the diamond rods for everyday sharpening. I've found them to be very coarse with a tendency to "beat up" the edge. The diamond would be suitable if your intention is to remove a lot of material from a neglected edge, and then do your finish work with the standard rods. I've not used the Sharpmaker CBN rods.
That's a 10-4. I wouldn't use them every day, just special occasions...