Whats the next hot piece?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cjk

Re: Whats the next hot piece?

Post by cjk »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:17 am
cjk wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:00 am
I'm hoping for a fancier Endela. Grey G-10 and cruwear would be sweet. A titanium cruwear Endela would completely blow my mind. Forest green peel ply G-10 and HAP40 like the previous Caly 3 sprint would be another mind blower.

There is an HAP40/ Pakkawood Endela, but probably you're aware of that one anyway- ?
Yes sir. I have one of those. It's IS super nice, but the pakkawood isn't particularly appealing to me. I should investigate having replacement scales made for it.

The titanium Endura is a magnificent piece and I honestly don't even care for the fancy VG10 damascus blade. The handle is quite a bit thinner than a normal Endura. It has fewer parts than a normal Endura. I love the thing but would like it even more if it were Endela sized. I know I'm dreaming. :)
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:49 am
Steeltoez83 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:38 am
I really liked the flow of the handle to blade on the 4 inch caly when i saw it at bladeshow this year. So if my desires are met it would be paired with 15V. I have been very impressed with the 15V testing ive done so far. In my ice block toughness testing i just started doing, Cruwear is the only steel ahead right now.
What other steels are you or have you used? Care to post any photos of this ice block setup? Seems out of the norm around here and I'm interested!
Screenshot_20230719_143230_Gallery.jpg
I run 3 tests on each knife. Edge longevity testing where I do touchups either brown spyderco benchstone or 4 micron diamond strop depending on the steel. And I use my sanding rolls at 45 or 65 cutsto imitate ideal cutting scenario and sharpmaker/strop maintenance. Second test I use a combo of 36 cuts on the sanding roll and 9 swings into the ice block to replicate mild to moderate usage in a day. I use a loaf pan filled with 3 bottles of water and let it freeze for 24 hours. I have a catch plastic tote and a cutting board I place the ice on. And I only test for 30 minutes each day to make sure the ice block is integral. Takes a few days to finish that test. the 3rd test is just swings on the ice block til it fails my index card sharpness measurement. I figure ice was the best candidate to measure toughness bcuz it's accessible. And it's soft enough to have differences in steels. And it covers close to the whole edge with each strike. I'm not swinging that hard but I'm not gentle either. Spyderco 8cr got 80 shots, s35vn got 90, 15V got 115 and cruwear got 135.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
z1r

Post by z1r »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 6:05 am
I could imagine the PM2 Salt in Magnacut will be a pretty "hot next piece"...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94486&start=40#p1702333

Personally I am more excited for the Native Chief lightweight - if it comes (also) in full SE
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94486#p1702005

Edited for spelling
Me, make mine either a Stretch 2 XL in Cruwear or Magnacut. But that Salt PM 2 sounds enticing as well.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

z1r wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:17 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 6:05 am
I could imagine the PM2 Salt in Magnacut will be a pretty "hot next piece"...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94486&start=40#p1702333

Personally I am more excited for the Native Chief lightweight - if it comes (also) in full SE
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94486#p1702005

Edited for spelling
Me, make mine either a Stretch 2 XL in Cruwear or Magnacut. But that Salt PM 2 sounds enticing as well.

No complaints here - I prefer the Stretch 2 XL (and all Stretch - ) platform(s) over the PM2 platform by a lot.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:03 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Steeltoez83 wrote:
I really liked the flow of the handle to blade on the 4 inch caly when i saw it at bladeshow this year. So if my desires are met it would be paired with 15V. I have been very impressed with the 15V testing ive done so far. In my ice block toughness testing i just started doing, Cruwear is the only steel ahead right now.
What other steels are you or have you used? Care to post any photos of this ice block setup? Seems out of the norm around here and I'm interested!

I run 3 tests on each knife. Edge longevity testing where I do touchups either brown spyderco benchstone or 4 micron diamond strop depending on the steel. And I use my sanding rolls at 45 or 65 cutsto imitate ideal cutting scenario and sharpmaker/strop maintenance. Second test I use a combo of 36 cuts on the sanding roll and 9 swings into the ice block to replicate mild to moderate usage in a day. I use a loaf pan filled with 3 bottles of water and let it freeze for 24 hours. I have a catch plastic tote and a cutting board I place the ice on. And I only test for 30 minutes each day to make sure the ice block is integral. Takes a few days to finish that test. the 3rd test is just swings on the ice block til it fails my index card sharpness measurement. I figure ice was the best candidate to measure toughness bcuz it's accessible. And it's soft enough to have differences in steels. And it covers close to the whole edge with each strike. I'm not swinging that hard but I'm not gentle either. Spyderco 8cr got 80 shots, s35vn got 90, 15V got 115 and cruwear got 135.
Pretty cool!! Thanks for the feedback on all that. I'm quite surprised Cruwear outperformed 15V by that much. Are all those knives ground to the same degree or similar?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

Choil-less Shaman? Is that still in the works?
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:40 pm
Steeltoez83 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:03 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Steeltoez83 wrote:

Pretty cool!! Thanks for the feedback on all that. I'm quite surprised Cruwear outperformed 15V by that much. Are all those knives ground to the same degree or similar?
About the same across the board. I'm using all production knives bcuz of familiarity. I have a long list of steels I plan on testing so it's still in the infancy stages at this point. Plus I only test the apex not blade geometry. Magnacut is next on my list.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Urkilnmesmalls wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:04 pm
Yes! It is in prototype stage but looks closed to finished. It has a thinner blade stock too.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

What’s next? Take your pick:

Damascus Stretch sprint
S30V Edgerati (“racing” version of Shaman)
Shaman (handle-forward version)
Mike Read M398 PITS2
Cliff Jumper (XL version of Rock Jumper)
Sequoia (XL version of Leaf Jumper)
Bodacious (some new Rescue model)
MagnaCut PM2 Salt (grooved Black G10)

Each warms me up.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Performance Delica?
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

Better have your track shoes on when rex121 comes out.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:37 pm
Urkilnmesmalls wrote:
Yes! It is in prototype stage but looks closed to finished. It has a thinner blade stock too.
Has there been a photo of it out or anything? Thinner blade stock sounds very nice. I quite enjoy my shaman, though it seems to be cursed. Every time I carry it at work I have an exceptionally bad day where a lot goes wrong. It only gets carried on weekends due to this.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Urkilnmesmalls wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:25 pm
JSumm wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:37 pm
Urkilnmesmalls wrote:
Has there been a photo of it out or anything? Thinner blade stock sounds very nice. I quite enjoy my shaman, though it seems to be cursed. Every time I carry it at work I have an exceptionally bad day where a lot goes wrong. It only gets carried on weekends due to this.
No photos. Just in person at Blade Show.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

S90V PARA 2 Teal G10. If that's not a hot piece at the price the HQ of blades has them at then I don't know what is. If you want something to actually use anyway. The light color scales would lend themselves well to Rit dye too.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Next hot piece will undoubtedly be the Millie 2 Salt with Black Grooved G-10 and CPM Magnacut. Until then, the Native Chief Lightweights, for me.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
RyanY

Post by RyanY »

Man if even half of these knives are coming soon I will need to really save my pennies. Might sell my last Oregon made cross bar lock knife too to fund it 😂
-Ryan
MNOSD member #00053
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I'm just waiting for the Microjimbo.
vivi

Post by vivi »

weeping minora wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:48 am
Next hot piece will undoubtedly be the Millie 2 Salt with Black Grooved G-10 and CPM Magnacut. Until then, the Native Chief Lightweights, for me.
If they make a Military 2 Salt, it'll be the last folding Spyderco I buy.
:unicorn
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

vivi wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:52 pm
weeping minora wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:48 am
If they make a Military 2 Salt, it'll be the last folding Spyderco I buy.
Vivi wat are you saying? :hushed-face
You would skip a Manix XL salt? Or even a sprint run of the original c95 ? :hushed-face

People i think this man is an imposter who took over Vivi's account we need to call 911 and look for the real Vivi!!! :zany
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Im personally excited for the Tenacious in M4. I just love this knife so much. Too bad it's not made in Golden.