C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Optimus Cultro

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Optimus Cultro »

I was fortunate to recently find one in stock. I was surprised and quickly bought it. It was a plain edge and I’d have preferred a SE but at this stage in the game it was get what was available.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Optimus Cultro wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:09 pm
I was fortunate to recently find one in stock. I was surprised and quickly bought it. It was a plain edge and I’d have preferred a SE but at this stage in the game it was get what was available.
Wow!! Nice Find!! Was it a dealer here in the USA where you found it? I do believe that there are probably still at least a dozen or so units on dealer's shelves here in the USA if you just know where to find them. But they are getting to be a tough find and you've really got to do some leg work to find them at this point. I would personally love at least one more SE version for my footlocker. I still think that the Cruwear Ayoob ranks as one of the top 3 or at the very least one of the top 5 best serrrated blades Spyderco ever made IMO.

If anyone locates any more of the CRuwear Ayoob models please use this thread to let us know where they can be found. Thanks for sharing that with us.
Optimus Cultro

Post by Optimus Cultro »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:22 pm
Optimus Cultro wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:09 pm
Wow!! Nice Find!! Was it a dealer here in the USA where you found it? I do believe that there are probably still at least a dozen or so units on dealer's shelves here in the USA if you just know where to find them. But they are getting to be a tough find and you've really got to do some leg work to find them at this point. I would personally love at least one more SE version for my footlocker. I still think that the Cruwear Ayoob ranks as one of the top 3 or at the very least one of the top 5 best serrrated blades Spyderco ever made IMO.

If anyone locates any more of the CRuwear Ayoob models please use this thread to let us know where they can be found. Thanks for sharing that with us.
I got a 4th of July ad email from G&R tactical. It had a section that said spyderco knives updated. In the past they have some occasional deals so I looked just to see what they had. I was surprised to see the PE Ayoob in stock. I would have bought the serrated edge given the choice but decided to still go ahead and get the plain edge.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Some can still be found in European online stores - prices are high though ...
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Matus wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:17 am
Some can still be found in European online stores - prices are high though ...
Yeah I hear that. But the currency exchange rates in Europe can even make it much worse in some cases. It's almost like buying Spyderco blades from Country Knives in Pennsylvania >> they have most anything you can dream of but you will have an empty wallet when the deal is done in most cases.
vnvman

Post by vnvman »

I'd love to buy another one in SE but it's nowhere to be found here in EU. Lamnia website says it's going to be restocked this month but it's been like that since June so I'm not quite sure it's really going to be available
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Wylaco... PlainEdge... It's kinda late to the party... mistake? I have heard of one incident of them not actually having something in stock, but I don't think the person was charged for it.... https://www.wylaco.com/spyderco/spyderc ... &limit=100

Edit: Out of stock
Last edited by Buddafucco on Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
vnvman

Post by vnvman »

I wanted to share this pic of a home made traditional knife made by an old local artisan near the the piemontese Alps, Mario Vernante. He made one for my father out of friendship because he's very very old now and doesn't do them anymore.
As you can see it has a negative angle blade kind of like the Ayoob. I think this is mostly due to the fact that it's a friction folder and you have to keep pressing the thumbstud with your thumb for it not close on your fingers during use: the negative angle helps with that. It also has a hollow saber grind by the way, pretty interesting stuff.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Great knife and a wonderful gift. Thanks for the picture.
TomH

Post by TomH »

www.rghknives.com.tw still has them. They are the Spyderco dealer in Taiwan.
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

Serrated 2nds still available...
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

Grabbed one for $100 couldn’t pass it up.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Me too.
Been on the fence about this one. Have no use for it, but I have some vague ideas about displaying some visually interesting knives in my secondary living room in the basement. This one fits the bill, but the €280 I’d have to pay for the one I found at an EU retailer was hard to swallow. $100 was a no brainer.
With all the reports of terrible customer experiences, I had dismissed the idea of even logging on to have a look, so thanks for the heads up!
thuyenbuom

Post by thuyenbuom »

I'm happy to get two SpyderEdge blades :smlling-eyes
Necromonger: What do you think of this blade?
Riddick: I think it is a half gram heavy on the back end.

The Chronicles of Riddick - Blade Scene
vivi

Post by vivi »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:00 pm
Me too.
Been on the fence about this one. Have no use for it, but I have some vague ideas about displaying some visually interesting knives in my secondary living room in the basement. This one fits the bill, but the €280 I’d have to pay for the one I found at an EU retailer was hard to swallow. $100 was a no brainer.
With all the reports of terrible customer experiences, I had dismissed the idea of even logging on to have a look, so thanks for the heads up!
To be fair it was only the website that I had issues with today.

Every conversation I had with Spyderco staff via email or phone, they were extremely pleasant to deal with despite this likely being their busiest day of the year

Enjoy your Ayoob! It's a really cool design.
:unicorn
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Looks like it finally went out of stock.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm surprised it lasted at all, being a Sprint. I could be wrong, but I assume some were seconds due to a prominent snaggletooth, and it turned out that to many people, that wasn't really a defect.
Matus

Post by Matus »

wrong thread
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

🤯
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:16 pm
aicolainen wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:00 pm
Me too.
To be fair it was only the website that I had issues with today.

Every conversation I had with Spyderco staff via email or phone, they were extremely pleasant to deal with despite this likely being their busiest day of the year

Enjoy your Ayoob! It's a really cool design.
Thanks!
I don’t have any particular need for knives intended for self defense or tactical use, but I have to admit that some of the knives developed for self defense, police or military use have a history attached to them that I find fascinating. I have a similar weak spot for guns, but both for legal and budgetary reasons that collection is still VERY slim. A while back I used to invest in some art pieces now and then if I had extra money, but after a while I realized that old/rare rifles keep their value just as much and is much more interesting to look at. And now this idea has slowly carried over to knives.

When I say customer experience, I don’t put more into that than the actual struggles many customers seems to have experienced. I’ve never heard anything but praise for Spyderco’s customer care so I don’t blame anyone. This was obviously not intentional and probably a bit unexpected on their part as well. As someone mentioned in the seconds sales thread, their primary focus is not direct to customer sales, and the site is probably geared to meet an average volume that is much, much lower than what this sale generated. Depending on how the site and back end is set up, that’s maybe something they can take into account and be better prepared for the next time around. And maybe not. Either way this online event is much more accessible for a much larger part of their customer base than the SFO event, so I’m happy they offer to do it this way.

In the clarity of hindsight I wish I’d given the Aqua Salt a try as well. Shipping to Norway is a chunk of change anyway, so just as well get the most value from all the added fees. Oh well. I was unprepared and only went there to see if I could snag an Ayoob. Didn’t want to waste my savings on unintentional FOMO shopping. Added an SE ARK though. It’s a model I regretted missing out on, but as my interest in SE has cooled down a bit I’ve been able to put it behind me. I don’t think the discount was amazing for a sheathless knife, but with shipping already paid it’s still probably my best opportunity to test out a new one without paying scalper money.

This was all over the place. Sorry vivi, morning coffee rambles strikes randomly.