Compression Lock Patent - Expired?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Guts

Re: Compression Lock Patent - Expired?

Post by Guts »

cjk wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:40 pm
The Vosteed Mayhem is evidently using a button actuated compression lock. It appears similar to a Smock.
Interesting. Certainly looks like how the Smock is setup just looking at some photos. Seems they're calling it the "Top Liner Lock".
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

cjk wrote:
The Vosteed Mayhem is evidently using a button actuated compression lock. It appears similar to a Smock.

Not a terrible looking knife. They claim that their new "patent-pending" lock is a hybrid of "insert-liner lock" and Compression Lock. I've never heard of the company, so I read up on them. They go to great lengths to talk about the company founders, their names, and how they went to school in Oklahoma. But the company is located in Guangzhou, and their prices reflect that. Many of their knives feature characteristics similar to other manufacturers. Maybe they make a great product, but it's unlikely I'll ever have first-hand experience with them.

cjk

Post by cjk »

Guts wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:53 pm
cjk wrote:
Interesting. Certainly looks like how the Smock is setup just looking at some photos. Seems they're calling it the "Top Liner Lock".
https://www.vosteed.com/collections/may ... k-st-gy-sf
vosteed.com wrote: Top Liner Lock
Different from Rob’s frame lock custom version, the Vosteed Mayhem utilized its own Top Liner Lock (patent pending), which is similar to a hybrid of insert-liner lock and Compression lock.
From pictures and description, I'm concluding this works pretty much like a copper or aluminum PM2 or a Para 3 lightweight in that it has a lock bar rather than a slice of a structural liner. Then it is also button actuated like a Smock.

It says patent pending, but I can't find any US patents which contain the string Vosteed. I really don't know if my patent searches search patents which are not already granted though.
cjk

Post by cjk »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:06 pm
cjk wrote:
Not a terrible looking knife. They claim that their new "patent-pending" lock is a hybrid of "insert-liner lock" and Compression Lock. I've never heard of the company, so I read up on them. They go to great lengths to talk about the company founders, their names, and how they went to school in Oklahoma. But the company is located in Guangzhou, and their prices reflect that. Many of their knives feature characteristics similar to other manufacturers. Maybe they make a great product, but it's unlikely I'll ever have first-hand experience with them.

Personally, I have no interest in owning this product. I would very much like to read their patent application.
I would also like to either take one apart, see a video of someone taking one apart, or possibly see an exploded diagram of one.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm skeptical about this patent also.
Cyrano

Post by Cyrano »

Regardless of patent status, isn’t “Compression Lock” a registered trademark? If so, has Vosteed received license from Spyderco to use this trademark?
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:06 pm
cjk wrote:

They have a model called the "Corgi". It's enough for me to at least consider them.
Matus

Post by Matus »

None of the locks on the market would belong to 'hard to make' category - especially not in the view of what manufacturing processes are available today. I am working in high-tech industry and mechanically there is noting complicated about any of the locks. Yes of course there are technical details that need to be fine tuned for the lock to work properly, but it is a doable task.

What matters is (a) business case - would your customers see the value if you expand your offering to yet another lock and buy more of your knives, (b) ability to manufacture - can you produce this new lock with your existing tooling, or are substantial investments required and (c) with all considered - can you produce this new lock in knife at a price you customers will be interested to purchase.

Bottom line - companies do not tend to make 'everything' as it is often not feasible, too risky, the investment too large, the market is contested and often saturated and - last but not least - as Nick has explained "Excellence is now the lowest bar in the knife market" :savouring
https://youtu.be/OiZg-fYVoQw
Last edited by Matus on Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Bugout with a compression lock 👍
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
cjk

Post by cjk »

Disassembly video.
https://youtu.be/UkDfI49niIw
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cjk wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:47 pm
Disassembly video.
https://youtu.be/UkDfI49niIw

Well, imo this is a nice and as it seems well made knife - and lock.

And to me a button is an improvement to a comp.lock - in usability and ergos.

One con though: Like it is with the Smock, a button comp.lock seems to require a cutout / choil... in the blade, at least if that blade is somewhat wide in relation to the handle.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)