What Are You Reading ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: What Are You Reading ?

Post by Mad Mac »

Speaking of Alaska,
Coming into the Country by John McPhee.
It's a beautiful read. I like his style of writing.

In the waiting room at M.D. Anderson in Houston
a parks and wildlife ranger from Alaska there for treatment
told me about it.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
miohin

Post by miohin »

Currently reading A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.

Definitely a change of pace coming from Children of Dune, but (also) incredible so far.
Lurker
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Mad Mac wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:28 am
Speaking of Alaska,
Coming into the Country by John McPhee.
It's a beautiful read. I like his style of writing.
Have you read his Encounters with the Archdruid? One of my friends recommended that one to me a few years back and started me down the rabbithole--I ended up reading most of his books.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

No, but thanks for the tip.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mad Mac wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:11 am
The local Sons of Confederate Veterans chapter
had a collection of Civil War books and videos
at the library of a high school which is now closed.
I will probably be putting the ones below on Amazon
to raise money for our chapter
as our members have already chosen the ones they want.

PM me if you have any interest.

Hearn Sapp Smith:
Civil War Commanders

Shelby Foote:
Fredericksburg to Steele Bayou
Second Manassas to Pocotaligo
Yorktown to Cedar Mountain
Fort Donelson to Memphis
Secession to Fort Henry

(All but Fort Donelson to Memphis
are still in the original plastic wrapper.)

Time LIfe Books: The Civil War
Gettysburg - The Confederate High Tide
Brother Against Brother - The War Begins

Mario M. Cuomo and Harold Holzer:
Lincoln on Democracy

Frazier:
Cottonclads!

Swanberg:
First Blood - The Story of Fort Sumter

Bruce Catton:
Terrible Swift Sword
This Hallowed Ground
The Army of the Potomac
Mr. Lincoln's Army
The Army of the Potomac
A Stillness at Appomattox

David Detzer:
Allegiance - Fort Sumter Charleston
and the Beginning of the Civil War

Videos VHS
Civil War Battlefields 7 volumes
PBS The Civil War 9 volumes
Field of Lost Shoes
The General's Last Goodbye

Gotta ask,
Have your ever read "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara ?
It's one of my all time favorite books!
If you haven't, I really suggest that you do.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

No, I have not. Thanks for the tip.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Finished Blood Meridian over the weekend. It's well-written, brings you up close and face-to-face with some pretty dark things. A thought-provoking book which I enjoyed.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Gonna re-read "The Killer Angels" - we will be going on a camping trip to Maryland- So we can see Washington DC & Gettysburg.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Started The Gallic Wars by Julius Caesar. So far, an interesting read.

At a book store recently I picked up The Twelve Caesars by Suetonius, and The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I'll be starting on those sometime soon.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Binging on "gentlemen reading other people's mail".

Herbert O. Yardley:
The American Black Chamber

James Bamford:
The Puzzle Palace
Body of Secrets
The Shadow Factory
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Just ordered:

A Survivor’s Warning, "Mao's America" By Xi Van Fleet
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15460 ... ogrosit-20

https://twitter.com/XVanFleet

Xi Van Fleet lived through the horrors of the Chinese Cultural Revolution as a schoolgirl. Forced to the countryside with other young Chinese for re-education after high school, she later escaped communism and found freedom and new a life in America. But more than 30 years later, Xi disturbingly sees signs of the same Cultural Marxism that ravaged her birth country of China threatening to destroy the America she now calls home.

​This is her dire warning to the United States.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Just finished reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy.
I don't think I've ever read a book more weighted with hopelessness, grief, loss, horror, brutality, and despair.
- Connor

RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Just finished a book titled Perilous Voyage by Donald Parker. It was given to me by the grandson of one of the contributors. It starts in one of the suburbs of Los Angeles in 1909. A couple balloonists came for a city festival and ended up giving a ride to a few locals. This was in the days of hydrogen balloons.

Anyway, they went up, winds were not as expected, and they ended up ditching high up in the mountains with nearly impassable snow, hail, freezing temps, and no visibility. The tale is of particular interest because it happened up in the mountains where I hike and ride. Even on the best of days, it ain't no joke.

If you're an aviator or an outdoorsman, you might like hte book. It's a short read, and only eight bucks for a second edition paperback. Spoiler alert: they all lived.
miohin

Post by miohin »

Just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K Dick. Good read (and of course iconic with the making of Blade Runner). But, could I tell you what it meant (if anything)?

Nope.
Lurker
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Just finished I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes.
A real page turner.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Just received the kindergarten reading list for my boy entering the public education system Thursday. I ain’t reading nothin’ — he’s reading to me. And now I know what happens “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.”
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:15 pm
Just received the kindergarten reading list for my boy entering the public education system Thursday. I ain’t reading nothin’ — he’s reading to me. And now I know what happens “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.”

Good on ya, pops. I'm not sure what happens if you give a mouse a cookie, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that it's similar to what happens when you give a pig a pancake.

Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:49 pm
Hopsbreath wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:15 pm

Good on ya, pops. I'm not sure what happens if you give a mouse a cookie, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that it's similar to what happens when you give a pig a pancake.

One of these days I’ll read adult books again. It’s been a few years of children’s books, but the boy reads on his own now and I’m quite proud of him. Now if I can just get him to lift the toilet seat before peeing…