Dream Salt Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Dream Salt Knives

Post by ladybug93 »

spydergoat wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:50 pm
Black TiCN blade option on LC200N salts would be nice
agreed. i've been waiting for a blacked out df2 salt in lc200n for years. a salt 2 and pacific would be great also.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I’d also like to really see more Golden-made Salt offerings in DLC. I find that holds up much better than TiCN, and I like several of the other models mentioned in this thread so far.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Chef Yui

Post by Chef Yui »

I love my spydiechef! It’s already just about perfect but if it was magnacut and thinner behind the edge I would never carry anything else in that size range!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Chef Yui:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Chef Yui wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:22 pm
I love my spydiechef! It’s already just about perfect but if it was magnacut and thinner behind the edge I would never carry anything else in that size range!
I’m heading to Western Australia for a three week tour and am kicking myself for not having picked up a Spydiechef in time for the trip - the knives in rental properties are always in a terrible state. Nothing else in my selection is halfway as fit for purpose in the kitchen - the closest options I have are a Manix 2 XL or a Quiet Carry Drift, neither of which are in the same league of ergonomic loveliness as the ‘chef.

I’ll be taking my sharp maker with me, but I’d rather just keep on top of my own knife than have to laboriously re-profile all the garbage we come across at each new AirBnB.

I know I can just buy a basic chef’s knife from a shop when I get there and cart it about, but let’s face it - it’s not the same 😂

*edited to correct ‘both’ to ‘not’. Autocorrect is my nemesis.
Last edited by JoviAl on Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Chef Yui wrote:
I second this, the Chef in Magna-Cut would be awesome.
vivi

Post by vivi »

One of these in magnacut would be awesome:

:unicorn
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:55 am
One of these in magnacut would be awesome:

Oh hells yes!
- Al

Dream knives -
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

JoviAl wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:28 am
Chef Yui wrote:
I’m heading to Western Australia for a three week tour and am kicking myself for both having picked up a Spydiechef in time for the trip - the knives in rental properties are always in a terrible state. Nothing else in my selection is halfway as fit for purpose in the kitchen - the closest options I have are a Manix 2 XL or a Quiet Carry Drift, neither of which are in the same league of ergonomic loveliness as the ‘chef.

I’ll be taking my sharp maker with me, but I’d rather just keep on top of my own knife than have to laboriously re-profile all the garbage we come across at each new AirBnB.

I know I can just buy a basic chef’s knife from a shop when I get there and cart it about, but let’s face it - it’s not the same 😂
I have an Airbnb. You wouldn't believe what guests have done to my kitchen knives - looks like they used my best one (now in the garbage) to try to hack through rebar. If I leave anything nice and small (like a good corkscrew or scissors), they walk off within a few months....just in case you wondered why things that can't be nailed down are cheap in Airbnbs. Even my pillowcases are cheap now - they get used, I suppose, as laundry bags to take back on the airplane.

I bought my Subvert to carry as a kitchen knife when I travel, but might get a Spydiechef at some point.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Why not an actual kitchen knife for kitchen knife jobs?
:unicorn
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:49 pm
At home, yes. For travel it's just personal preference - a folder that is pretty good at kitchen tasks, as the Subvert is, can also be used for other things while traveling, like camp chores, whereas a kitchen knife is pretty much just for the kitchen.

Quite frankly, I have very little use for the Subvert, but taking as a 'kitchen' knife when visiting my knife-challenged family, was a good excuse to buy one. It's my coolest knife that I mostly just stare at.
thuyenbuom

Post by thuyenbuom »

Salt: PE Manix 2 XL in Magnacut
Necromonger: What do you think of this blade?
Riddick: I think it is a half gram heavy on the back end.

The Chronicles of Riddick - Blade Scene
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I have an Airbnb. You wouldn't believe what guests have done to my kitchen knives - looks like they used my best one (now in the garbage) to try to hack through rebar. If I leave anything nice and small (like a good corkscrew or scissors), they walk off within a few months....just in case you wondered why things that can't be nailed down are cheap in Airbnbs. Even my pillowcases are cheap now - they get used, I suppose, as laundry bags to take back on the airplane.

I bought my Subvert to carry as a kitchen knife when I travel, but might get a Spydiechef at some point.
Jeez, that’s terrible! Well, that explains that anyway.
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

vivi wrote:
Pretty much what Holysteel said - I can use a folder for other stuff too, but additionally chef’s knives with sheaths seem to be few and far between when I go to shops in random countries. I want one that either folds or sheathes so I don’t get an unpleasant surprise rummaging in my baggage for it and/or shred my clothing. I’ve just seen Cold Steel do a chef’s knife with a sheath, and Spyderco offer blade covers - I just thought about it a bit too last minute to be able to buy any of the above before I fly tomorrow 🤦🏼‍♂️

All of the stockists of Spyderco and Cold Steel in Singapore where I live are Internet only sellers - I can’t even order something and collect from the warehouse. First world problems 😜
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

vivi wrote:
Your good sense has inspired me now Vivi - going to pop to my local butcher’s supplier and see if they’ve got anything with a sheath or a knife roll to transport it in.
- Al

Dream knives -
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Since this thread popped up I’ll request a para 3 full serrated magnacut.
MRj “Weak things break!”
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

JoviAl wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:05 pm

Jeez, that’s terrible! Well, that explains that anyway.
But I'm glad you brought this up. I just replaced most of my personal kitchen knives with Spydercos, and have a box full of good knives that I will take to the Airbnb tomorrow...a few at a time :smlling-eyes

For grins I'll take photos of them first, then as they get destroyed :squinting-tongue
tangent

Post by tangent »

JoviAl wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:15 pm
vivi wrote:
Your good sense has inspired me now Vivi - going to pop to my local butcher’s supplier and see if they’ve got anything with a sheath or a knife roll to transport it in.
Kitchen knife with a sheath? I really want to get one of these… cool knives… expensive but this company makes great stuff.

https://www.montanaknifecompany.com/col ... antoku-red

…in MagnaCut!!
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

For grins I'll take photos of them first, then as they get destroyed :squinting-tongue
Grins?! 😂 Sounds like the knife equivalent of a horror movie!
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

tangent wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:41 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:15 pm
vivi wrote:
Kitchen knife with a sheath? I really want to get one of these… cool knives… expensive but this company makes great stuff.

https://www.montanaknifecompany.com/col ... antoku-red

…in MagnaCut!!
🤤
- Al

Dream knives -