Alistair Phillips New Prototype Videos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CDEP

Alistair Phillips New Prototype Videos

Post by CDEP »

Over on his YouTube channel Alistair Phillips has a series covering his work on a prototype for an upcoming show in Sydney. I thought I'd post it here for the Kapara fans, and anyone interested in how a maker works on a new knife.

https://youtu.be/RwTjQ2eo5Tw
Brian
Dnwrghtsr

Re: Alistair Phillips New Prototype Videos

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

So he’s going to produce the knives himself? That’s what he said hoped to have some for sale in August. Kapara and pm2’s are my favorite Spydercos.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:59 pm
So he’s going to produce the knives himself? That’s what he said hoped to have some for sale in August. Kapara and pm2’s are my favorite Spydercos.
Yes, he makes and sells his customs at knife shows.

He is making prototypes for an all-Ti Redback, which is the custom knife that became the production Kapara. Mr Phillips says he was inspired to attempt the CNC work at home after he saw Eric's disassembly video for the Para 3 LW and realized he could modify the lockbar insert for the Compression lock. He's also been using Ti for a little EDC prybar he is selling.

What may be of interest here for the Spyderco Kapara fans is the idea that a titanium variant of the Redback might indicate the possibility of a Ti Kapara, particularly if Mr. Phillips is successful with his lock mod.

I can't be the only one who would jump on an All-Ti Kapara, am I? I know it would take at least a couple of years to work it through the queue, but that gives me time to save my pennies.
Brian
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

I’d certainly be interested in an upgraded Kapara. I’ve wanted to try one for awhile but the blade steel has kept me from biting.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Check out this video for an overview of the titanium prototype. https://youtu.be/_OxNuwZ7ClA
Cubane

Post by Cubane »

Thanks for sharing the video series. Getting a knife model going on the CNC has taken a lot longer than I anticipated that is for sure. I have several designs that I draw up, even getting to the point where I had 3D models printed out to try them in hand. None of them made me want to replace the original Redback prototype. It wasn't until I saw the LW Para 3 video that the lightbulb came on and I realized I could replace the Redback with another Redback.

As part of the deal for the Kapara design with Spyderco, I am permitted to continue to build my custom versions of them. I haven't bought up the possibility of an all-titanium version of the Kapara with Spyderco at all. That latest video was from some work I was doing during the evenings last week, I actually finished up the first prototype over the weekend and got started on parts for the next prototype revision. It is sitting on the desk with me right now.

I wasn't really sharing the video series around as I wanted a few episodes there for people to see but now that the prototype is done feel free to go nuts sharing it around. It was mostly for me to document making the first knife on the CNC and for enthusiasts who like to see how these things get built. The production quality of the videos has a lot less effort put into it than what I put into my knives :D

Alistair
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

Cubane wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:46 pm
Thanks for sharing the video series. Getting a knife model going on the CNC has taken a lot longer than I anticipated that is for sure. I have several designs that I draw up, even getting to the point where I had 3D models printed out to try them in hand. None of them made me want to replace the original Redback prototype. It wasn't until I saw the LW Para 3 video that the lightbulb came on and I realized I could replace the Redback with another Redback.

As part of the deal for the Kapara design with Spyderco, I am permitted to continue to build my custom versions of them. I haven't bought up the possibility of an all-titanium version of the Kapara with Spyderco at all. That latest video was from some work I was doing during the evenings last week, I actually finished up the first prototype over the weekend and got started on parts for the next prototype revision. It is sitting on the desk with me right now.

I wasn't really sharing the video series around as I wanted a few episodes there for people to see but now that the prototype is done feel free to go nuts sharing it around. It was mostly for me to document making the first knife on the CNC and for enthusiasts who like to see how these things get built. The production quality of the videos has a lot less effort put into it than what I put into my knives :D

Alistair
Thanks, Mr. Phillips! It's been fun to follow along with the series, and an all-Ti Redback is a thing of beauty. You should have a chat with Sal & Eric about some kind of Kapara based on your new design. My takeaway from the forum here is that the Kapara is a very popular knife, and I certainly love mine!

There are a lot of possibilities - from an all-Ti version to an S90V version, production or Sprint Run, maybe even a Salt, or at least a Magnacut blade. I suspect whatever you guys came up with would be very popular.

Best of luck at the show in Sydney!
Brian
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

CDEP wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:56 pm
There are a lot of possibilities - from an all-Ti version to an S90V version, production or Sprint Run, maybe even a Salt, or at least a Magnacut blade. I suspect whatever you guys came up with would be very popular.
I’d buy that.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Cubane wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:46 pm
Thank you for posting up your videos on YouTube. I enjoyed seeing some of the behind-the-scenes magic.

The milling pattern on the Ti handles looks really good.
- Richard
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

**** yes, thanks for the video, still waiting for that Kapara slipjoint. Want it so bad!