For firearm guys/girls...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
soc_monki

For firearm guys/girls...

Post by soc_monki »

Saw a post on another forum and I figured I'd ask here. How many of you keep round counts on your firearms? I do. I have a list on my phone, and when I'm shooting I will enter the rounds into the list so I know at a glance how many rounds have gone through a weapon, and i also enter any parts breakages and what not. It's not 100% accurate, but close and good to know for maintenance like replacing recoil assemblies and the like, or if I want to sell something I can tell the buyer exactly how much the gun has been used.

Maybe I'm just weird? Lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
RustyIron

Re: For firearm guys/girls...

Post by RustyIron »

Nope. Counting rounds is a newfangled fad.

Back when I starting shooting, before many here were even born, when we really USED our guns for chores like putting dinosaur meat on the table and protecting ourselves from roaming Australopithecus hordes, you'd be laughed right out of the cave if you even suggested that it was necessary to count how many rounds you shot.

I don't count rounds, I don't count how much cardboard I cut, and I do maintenance as needed.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Yeah, I do up until I forget lol.....
Most every rifle listed on Snipers Hide will have a round count listed. Some probably true, some probably not.
Imo, it's your gun, do whatever ya want.
Glad you made this thread, for whatever reason, it reminded me that I need to clean my 1944 M1
& I've no idea how.many rounds that baby has thru it..but, talk about a handy little rifle. And, with the 30 cal ammo from Underwood, it's on a whole nother level now.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I think the recording of every shot comes from two worlds. The sniper needs log each shot to know how the rifle will perform under every condition. The rifle competitor needs to know how many shots each barrel has through it so they know when to replace the barrel and maintain peak accuracy. Pistol competitors need to know round counts for spring & magazine replacements, etc. Does the average person need this information? No, but it is useful information and helps determine which firearm is superior in durability. I’m happy other people keep round counts.

Now I’m none of the above, just a guy who enjoys his freedoms. No logs, just mental guesstimates for me. 😃
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:07 am

Nope. Counting rounds is a newfangled fad.

Back when I starting shooting, before many here were even born, when we really USED our guns for chores like putting dinosaur meat on the table and protecting ourselves from roaming Australopithecus hordes, you'd be laughed right out of the cave if you even suggested that it was necessary to count how many rounds you shot.

I don't count rounds, I don't count how much cardboard I cut, and I do maintenance as needed.
Cool cool. I respect that. I don't hunt, but I do love going to the range and slinging lead. Have a few pistols with 1000 or so rounds, others with half that, others under 200 because they're new and I need to go to the range more!

To each their own I guess? I like keeping track.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:29 am
Yeah, I do up until I forget lol.....
Most every rifle listed on Snipers Hide will have a round count listed. Some probably true, some probably not.
Imo, it's your gun, do whatever ya want.
Glad you made this thread, for whatever reason, it reminded me that I need to clean my 1944 M1
& I've no idea how.many rounds that baby has thru it..but, talk about a handy little rifle. And, with the 30 cal ammo from Underwood, it's on a whole nother level now.
I have to clean a few myself! Nothing major, just a wipe down and reoil, maybe run a few patches through the bores. Sometimes I just slap some more oil on them and let them eat but cleaning them is kind of therapeutic.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:30 pm
I think the recording of every shot comes from two worlds. The sniper needs log each shot to know how the rifle will perform under every condition. The rifle competitor needs to know how many shots each barrel has through it so they know when to replace the barrel and maintain peak accuracy. Pistol competitors need to know round counts for spring & magazine replacements, etc. Does the average person need this information? No, but it is useful information and helps determine which firearm is superior in durability. I’m happy other people keep round counts.

Now I’m none of the above, just a guy who enjoys his freedoms. No logs, just mental guesstimates for me. 😃
It's all good! I know if I didn't do the counts I'd probably miss certain maintenance items like recoil springs or something else. Even though it may not matter in the long run, it is fun to know certain statistics.

Like, I have 2 sig 320s, and have a few rounds through both and neither has gone off without me pulling the trigger... :winking-tongue
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

soc_monki wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:36 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:30 pm

It's all good! I know if I didn't do the counts I'd probably miss certain maintenance items like recoil springs or something else. Even though it may not matter in the long run, it is fun to know certain statistics.

Like, I have 2 sig 320s, and have a few rounds through both and neither has gone off without me pulling the trigger... :winking-tongue
If it adds to your enjoyment, then it’s the right thing to do!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

soc_monki wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:32 pm
I don't hunt, but I do love going to the range and slinging lead.
Me, too. I like outdoor shooting. Right now my go-to locations are well over 100 degrees. I have two young guys who want to go out, one recently finished building an AR, and the other is picking up his new HK next week. Either they'll have to commit to getting up REALLY early, or we'll have to wait a couple months.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:43 pm

If it adds to your enjoyment, then it’s the right thing to do!
More shooting would increase my enjoyment, for sure! I have an outdoor range close to me, just haven't decided to buy a membership yet. Plus, with the south being the south, and it being summer time, I prefer going to an indoor range with some AC! Maybe when it gets cooler out though.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:02 pm

Me, too. I like outdoor shooting. Right now my go-to locations are well over 100 degrees. I have two young guys who want to go out, one recently finished building an AR, and the other is picking up his new HK next week. Either they'll have to commit to getting up REALLY early, or we'll have to wait a couple months.
It's been murder in Mississippi recently. It's actually a pretty nice day today though. I need to hit up the outdoor range here but it's pistol only and I like to take my ARs out as well. Good thing is, if I pay for the membership I can use the range in a neighboring city as well which has a rifle range so...pluses I guess? But I'll do indoor until it cools off. I don't mind heat too much, but I don't want to be sweating buckets while trying to enjoy myself.
vivi

Post by vivi »

never.
:unicorn
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

When I was shooting I had a rough estimate. My firearms with the most rounds through them are probably my Browning Hi-Power, Sig P225, Sig Trailside, & Browning BL-22.