You guys can keep your straight spine Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bemo

Re: You guys can keep your straight spine Stretch

Post by Bemo »

Waiting to hear from Evil D on how he accomplished this. Really great work.
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

I, too, am intrigued...
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I like it. Looks good. Modding a standard stretch to a more straight spine type profile. Bravo. Probably a little lighter, takes up less space in the pocket, too.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have a first gen SE Stretch as well. I will second what D said about the distal taper. The serrations definitely get noticeably smaller towards the tip because of how pronounced the distal taper is. It’s a gem of a knife.

That grind mod is similar to what Spyderco used on the Dyad.
I am completely stumped why we haven’t seen more knives with that blade shape. I don’t know if it should be called a clip point or a trailing point but I do know I like it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

petz462 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:36 pm
Instead of buying a new Pacific Salt SE on the Summer Sale, I bought this guy on the secondary market. It's used and needs sharpening and hopefully I won't botch that up, I do have a Sharpmaker. As is it just tears paper, but it did destroy a cardboard box pretty easily.
David, I was admiring the work you did on your knife above. I think I'll use this one for awhile as is and and see how I like it but it does make me curious. Would you mind discussing what you used to grind off the hump and any special techniques?
thanks,
Dave

Pretty easy to do honestly, just depends on what you have to work with. You could literally do this with sandpaper if that's all you have, it would just take a very long time but it's possible.

Here is the original thread from when I did the mod. Basically a mix of bench grinder and Dremel.

viewtopic.php?t=90188#p1540752

Here is a video about how I usually work with a Dremel. Different knife and a different mod but I use this "apple slice" technique quite a bit because it's easy for me to control. The downside is that I often do it literally at eye level and steel dust goes right into my face (not kidding) so I wear eye protection and a face mask when I do it, but this allows me to actually see close up where the sandpaper barrel hits the steel and it makes it harder to screw up this way.

https://youtu.be/kMyW-Y9I2pI
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
petz462

Post by petz462 »

David,
thanks. I had a feeling a bench grinder was involved, didn't think about a Dremel though. Putting a straight edge along the spine, I can see it's not really not much metal being removed, but it's a dramatic change in looks. Guess I'll stick to my original plan and think on it some while I use the knife awhile and get used to it. Again, appreciate you're efforts in educating the rest of us!
Dave
Dave
USAF Retired
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

petz462 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:00 pm
Hopsbreath wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:56 pm
petz462 wrote:
Instead of buying a new Pacific Salt SE on the Summer Sale, I bought this guy on the secondary market. It's used and needs sharpening and hopefully I won't botch that up, I do have a Sharpmaker. As is it just tears paper, but it did destroy a cardboard box pretty easily.
David, I was admiring the work you did on your knife above. I think I'll use this one for awhile as is and and see how I like it but it does make me curious. Would you mind discussing what you used to grind off the hump and any special techniques?
thanks,
Dave

Funny this thread should get a bump as I reprofile my SE Stretch XL tonight. If you have diamond rods for the Sharpmaker I highly recommend them. Still a bit of a slow process but it’s coming along nicely.
No diamonds but I do have new CBN rods, guessing they will do ok?
Yes, the CBN rods are my go-to for reprofiling Spyderedges. I’ve done at least 4 SE reprofile jobs with my current set. Pacific Salt, Caribbean, Endura, and Endela.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:29 pm
petz462 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:00 pm
Hopsbreath wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:56 pm
petz462 wrote:
thanks,
Dave

Funny this thread should get a bump as I reprofile my SE Stretch XL tonight. If you have diamond rods for the Sharpmaker I highly recommend them. Still a bit of a slow process but it’s coming along nicely.
No diamonds but I do have new CBN rods, guessing they will do ok?
Yes, the CBN rods are my go-to for reprofiling Spyderedges. I’ve done at least 4 SE reprofile jobs with my current set. Pacific Salt, Caribbean, Endura, and Endela.
I have the diamond rods and CBN Webfoot. The CBN actually feels a little more even and consistent with less need for break-in. Should I ever need new rods again (unlikely) I’ll likely opt for the CBN instead.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

petz462 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:06 pm
David,
thanks. I had a feeling a bench grinder was involved, didn't think about a Dremel though. Putting a straight edge along the spine, I can see it's not really not much metal being removed, but it's a dramatic change in looks. Guess I'll stick to my original plan and think on it some while I use the knife awhile and get used to it. Again, appreciate you're efforts in educating the rest of us!
Dave

It's really not at all necessary, it just speeds it up. Of course you need to remember you don't want the blade getting hot and faster means you'll get there sooner, so a bench grinder is a dangerous option. My Dremel can be slowed down practically to the point of not making any heat, bit of course then it's much slower. Keep water on hand and grind very small amounts at a time and cool it off between hits, and remember you can always remove more but you can't add it back.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
petz462

Post by petz462 »

Thanks for the good tips!
Dave
USAF Retired