St. Nick's Manix 2XL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Teesac81

St. Nick's Manix 2XL

Post by Teesac81 »

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the St. Nick's Manix 2 XL exlcusive in 4V. Outpost 76 posted a video on Youtube in which he said that the primary grind was asymetrical, leading to difficulty sharpening. Does anyone have any experience with this knife? If so, do you know about the issue and whether it was resolved? If so, when?
olditguy

Re: St. Nick's Manix 2XL

Post by olditguy »

I got lucky last year and picked one up from St. Nicks after the initial drop. Appears they found another 3 or 4 that day. Mine is perfect in every way. And sharp, sharp, sharp.
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

I have one and love it! I use it as my "go to cardboard cutter". The factory edge chipped and I resharpened it on my KME with no problems. It really takes and holds a sharp edge and cuts like crazy. It's a BEAST!
Teesac81

Post by Teesac81 »

Worth $250?
Teesac81

Post by Teesac81 »

olditguy wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:47 am
I got lucky last year and picked one up from St. Nicks after the initial drop. Appears they found another 3 or 4 that day. Mine is perfect in every way. And sharp, sharp, sharp.
Worth the $250 someone is asking for it? Do you happen to know the hardness of yours?
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

The edge on mine was excellent.
pleadnotguilty

Post by pleadnotguilty »

No problems here
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

Teesac81 wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:43 am
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the St. Nick's Manix 2 XL exlcusive in 4V. Outpost 76 posted a video on Youtube in which he said that the primary grind was asymetrical, leading to difficulty sharpening. Does anyone have any experience with this knife? If so, do you know about the issue and whether it was resolved? If so, when?
What you're describing can happen on just about and production knife. It's not a problem with the St. Nick's Manix XL exclusive as a whole.

Most Spyderco 4V has a hardness around 65rc, according to the ones I've seen tested.

It's possibly worth $250 if you love the Manix XL (big knife), want a very nice steel, like coated blades, and the color red.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

No issues with mine . They sold for $185 . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
WRB

Post by WRB »

I've carried mine pretty much every day since it came out, and it sharpens just fine.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Teesac81 wrote:
....Outpost 76 posted a video on Youtube in which he said that the primary grind was asymetrical, leading to difficulty sharpening.
This is one of the reasons I stay away from YouTubers

The grind on mine is fine but if it wasn't it's easy enough to fix. I have knives from most of the major manufacturers. Most have symmetrical grinds but every once in awhile I get one that's not. It doesn't bother me so I just use it and touch it up until it needs to be reprofiled.

So don't sweat what some guy on YT says. If it's a knife you like just go for it
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
RyanAnchors

Post by RyanAnchors »

Teesac81 wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:41 am
Worth $250?
I have one and definitely not worth $250. Someone is gouging you. Some people buy as many of the Sprints/Exclusives as possible, wait until they sell out, and then scalp/flip them for a profit. I refuse to give these people money and I have never had trouble getting every special run I’ve wanted for retail or less. I paid $210 shipped with no tax for mine BNIB. That’s slightly above original table price, but when you factor tax and him paying $10 for priority shipping to me, it’s about table price. And even better than that, the guy I bought it from sent it in because it had so much red loctite he couldn’t adjust the hardware. They removed all the loctite and sent it back to him still prescribe. He had two and sold me his other one.

I just saw two sell for around $200-$215 in the last month BNIB. Check on bladeforums, the big 70k member Facebook BST group and the Spyderco BST group on FB, and Reddit knife subs; do not buy on eBay, they are the worst scalpers. I personally prefer the Knife_Swap sub. All other forums have rules against calling people out for this behavior, but that sub actively encourages it. Selling at inflated prices is subject to ridicule and if you get caught buying at the fair prices on there and flipping for profit, you get permanently banned. Every other sales platform I’m aware of doesn’t allow people to comment/give feedback on seller’s pricing, etc.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Let me put it this way. The normal Manix XL costs around 300 euro here and its worth every cent . So a exclusive like that is a no brainer its more then worth 250$ usd.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Teesac81 wrote:

Just to be sure: You´re actually referring to the PRIMARY grind (so the angle from the spine down to where the bevel / secondary grind begins)?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:29 pm
Teesac81 wrote:

Just to be sure: You´re actually referring to the PRIMARY grind (so the angle from the spine down to where the bevel / secondary grind begins)?

Added to my post above: At first I could not see a problem if this was the case (asymetrical primary grind), but on a fixed sharpening system it could be a bit I figure? (Never used such a system myself)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)