St. Nick’s Exclusive red and black Goddard!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ramonade

Re: St. Nick’s Exclusive red and black Goddard!

Post by Ramonade »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:14 pm

Ya'll know why Mr. Ramonades pics show two knives?!
...Cause Robin is a great guy, helped me out in ordering one (I was in the mountains with little to no internet service when the Goddards got available).

Thanks again!! :clinking-mugs

Should be on its way from France to Austria soon, and I am looking very much forward to this one! :smlling-eyes
Not SE, but I guess I can live with that since this knife ticks so many other boxes for me: Light, FRN, my personal perfect regular size for EDC, backlock, NOT a deeply recessed choil but rather a "high" and wide (under the index finger) and flat area for choking up, tool steel (I might remove the coating)... great!!

Makes me happy to help a fellow forumite ! And now that they're gone, we're both officially european owners of an exclusive ! :')
I've been waiting for an occasion to help someone, considering several people here already helped me find a model or variant I was after !

Only "con" I found after the honey-moon phase passed (and I was terribly sick for 3 days, certainly because I've left all the tension of the school year leave my body TOO fast :steam-nose :sick ) : The blade to handle ratio is really not that good. I think this design could benefit from the Stretch XL treatment :grin-smiling-eyes
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:10 am
Wartstein wrote:

Ya'll know why Mr. Ramonades pics show two knives?!
...Cause Robin is a great guy, helped me out in ordering one (I was in the mountains with little to no internet service when the Goddards got available).

Thanks again!! :clinking-mugs

Should be on its way from France to Austria soon, and I am looking very much forward to this one! :smlling-eyes
Not SE, but I guess I can live with that since this knife ticks so many other boxes for me: Light, FRN, my personal perfect regular size for EDC, backlock, NOT a deeply recessed choil but rather a "high" and wide (under the index finger) and flat area for choking up, tool steel (I might remove the coating)... great!!

Makes me happy to help a fellow forumite ! And now that they're gone, we're both officially european owners of an exclusive ! :')
I've been waiting for an occasion to help someone, considering several people here already helped me find a model or variant I was after !

Only "con" I found after the honey-moon phase passed (and I was terribly sick for 3 days, certainly because I've left all the tension of the school year leave my body TOO fast :steam-nose :sick ) : The blade to handle ratio is really not that good. I think this design could benefit from the Stretch XL treatment :grin-smiling-eyes

Yes, man, wonder how many European forumites actually ordered and will own one - I guess not too many.
So glad I am one of those ,and I would have had a really hard time becoming that without your help due to the lack of internet service in the mountains! Thanks once more, and I hope you´re feeling better already!

/ Yes, I pointed that out in one of my first posts here: Looking at the Goddard one could assume that it has a better blade to handle ratio than even an Endura, but that´s not the case.
Without having the knife in hand yet I will say though that I am pretty sure this does not bother me at all:
I am actually much more about EDGE to handle ratio than BLADE to handle ratio, and concerning the former the difference between Endura (closed length 127 mm, edge 88 mm), Goddard (closed length 130 mm, edge 87 mm) and Stretch XL (closed length 126 mm, edge 88 mm) is not that big.
I figure while being a hair longer the Goddard will be an even a tad slimmer and perhaps thinner carry than Endura or Stetch XL.

Anyway: Can´t wait for the knife, and as I told you in my latest pm already: Very much looking forward to comparing M4 to my so far favorite plain edge steel, which is REX 45... :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:50 pm
Vive la France! 🇫🇷🇦🇹 😅
Bolster wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:22 pm
Wartstein wrote:

It's nice to see the Austrians and the French cooperating

Wartstein wrote:
...NOT a deeply recessed choil but rather a "high" and wide (under the index finger) and flat area for choking up...

Yes, I remember you like a "tall" choil. You're not a Perrin guy. I've been experimenting with choking up on the Goddard and I gotta say, it works pretty well! You may be on to something!

Indeed, Vive la France, and I sure hope I can return the favor to some French guy or gal someday! :smlling-eyes

/ @ Bolster: Yes, I more and more get into liking "tall" choils that put a lot of handle height beneath the index finger resp. make it not too recessed in relation to the other fingers.

To me a deep choil feels very nice and secure when just holding the knife or perhaps still in light duty tasks: But when using the knife harder, I feel like having a lot of "meat" under the index finger gives me more control and power.

Probably the main reason why I prefer choking up on areas like the Endura ricasso over most dedicated foinger choils.

Actually this very thing brought me away from the White River Backpacker (small fixed blade, pretty similar to an Esee Izula or, concerning the handle style, also a bit like a Perrin) which I liked a lot for quite some time.
Here the handle is really slim just where the index finger sits. Don´t like that anymore in tasks like cutting wood, whittling and so on.

And so I think the Goddard "choke up area" might be perfect for me.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:04 am
Wartstein wrote:
Also a rather shallow carry, that should be to your liking.

Congrats!
Always makes me happy to see forumites help each other out.

True, you know me well... ;)

I´d almost "hate" deep carry on a knife with that rather already long closed length.
Said it before: Width in pocket does not bother me at all (my Manix 2 LW to me feels like a really small carry), but (too much) length can.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

u.w. wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:11 am
I got mine on the 3rd (July), put my own edge on it,loctited the two screws, and have been carrying it since. I am VERY much liking this knife, and very glad I got one!
Gernot, I think you're gonna love it.

u.w.

I think so too, and sure will let you know ;)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:26 pm
Actually this very thing brought me away from the White River Backpacker (small fixed blade, pretty similar to an Esee Izula or, concerning the handle style, also a bit like a Perrin) which I liked a lot for quite some time.
Here the handle is really slim just where the index finger sits. Don´t like that anymore in tasks like cutting wood, whittling and so on. And so I think the Goddard "choke up area" might be perfect for me.

Right, I know that knife, I own a White River Backpacker in S35VN. It has the deep "Perrin style" index cutout. I admit I like a deep index cutout on a backcountry knife; I like the extra safety it provides. I'm guessing the Silverax, Street Beat, and Dialex Junior would not be your favorites, either. Glad to hear you like the Goddard so well! It's great when a knife has so many features you like.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:35 pm
Right, I know that knife, I own a White River Backpacker in S35VN. It has the deep "Perrin style" index cutout. I admit I like a deep index cutout on a backcountry knife; I like the extra safety it provides. I'm guessing the Silverax, Street Beat, and Dialex Junior would not be your favorites, either. Glad to hear you like the Goddard so well! It's great when a knife has so many features you like.
Hopefully without derailing too much, I’ll have to agree with this. There’s a time and place for everything, and for a dedicated work knife I’d lean in the direction of a shallow- or no index cutout, but in the backcountry I really appreciate a finger guard, but I don’t want one that gets in my way for food prep, and that’s where the index finger cutouts provide great benefit over other designs IMO.

The Goddard seems to be very versatile in that regard, where you can opt for a very safe grip behind the guard or more torque and control with the index finger up on the ricasso. Should be interesting to hear what you all think after some use.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Wartstein wrote: I am actually much more about EDGE to handle ratio than BLADE to handle ratio, and concerning the former the difference between Endura (closed length 127 mm, edge 88 mm), Goddard (closed length 130 mm, edge 87 mm) and Stretch XL (closed length 126 mm, edge 88 mm) is not that big.
I figure while being a hair longer the Goddard will be an even a tad slimmer and perhaps thinner carry than Endura or Stetch XL.
Here's a couple of shot showing how slim the Goddard is compared to my Endura and Stretch XL. It's actually the same thickness as the Stretch XL and thinner than the Endura. As for the carry I find that both Goddard and SXL carry extremely while virtually taking as much space as a PM2.

I'll say that I don't care about blade to handle ratio and actually care about edge to handle ratio too, but tend to say the former because my brain formulates it faster :squinting-tongue . On the second pic you can see that there's still some room in the goddard handle, way more than for the Endura or SXL for example. Doesn't mean that the Edge to Handle ratio is worse though, as you just proved.
Wartstein wrote: Anyway: Can´t wait for the knife, and as I told you in my latest pm already: Very much looking forward to comparing 4V (Edit from Robin, I think you meant 4V :grin-big eyes ) to my so far favorite plain edge steel, which is REX 45... :smlling-eyes
Funny thing, I recently scored both a 4V and a REX45 Native 5 ! :')
Wartstein wrote:
[...]

Indeed, Vive la France, and I sure hope I can return the favor to some French guy or gal someday! :smlling-eyes
[...]
If someone ever finds a CPM154/S90V Native 5 laying down somewhere.... Or a Terzuola Slipit even.... :nerd :')
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
D-fens

Post by D-fens »

I've got a friend that's got his in already and I'll see it for myself come Wednesday. Seeing what I see here, seems to be fair into comparison to like an endela right? Price is good for M4 though...too good to pass up.
:bug-red-white "D-Fens" :usflag
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:07 am
Wartstein wrote: I am actually much more about EDGE to handle ratio than BLADE to handle ratio, and concerning the former the difference between Endura (closed length 127 mm, edge 88 mm), Goddard (closed length 130 mm, edge 87 mm) and Stretch XL (closed length 126 mm, edge 88 mm) is not that big.
Here's a couple of shot showing how slim the Goddard is compared to my Endura and Stretch XL. It's actually the same thickness as the Stretch XL and thinner than the Endura. As for the carry I find that both Goddard and SXL carry extremely while virtually taking as much space as a PM2.

I'll say that I don't care about blade to handle ratio and actually care about edge to handle ratio too, but tend to say the former because my brain formulates it faster :squinting-tongue . On the second pic you can see that there's still some room in the goddard handle, way more than for the Endura or SXL for example. Doesn't mean that the Edge to Handle ratio is worse though, as you just proved.
Wartstein wrote: Anyway: Can´t wait for the knife, and as I told you in my latest pm already: Very much looking forward to comparing 4V (Edit from Robin, I think you meant 4V :grin-big eyes ) to my so far favorite plain edge steel, which is REX 45... :smlling-eyes
Funny thing, I recently scored both a 4V and a REX45 Native 5 ! :')
Wartstein wrote:
[...]

[...]
If someone ever finds a CPM154/S90V Native 5 laying down somewhere.... Or a Terzuola Slipit even.... :nerd :')
The handle isn’t as comfortable as the endura or the stretch to me. Which is weird because of the larger handle. I still need to reprofile the blade though.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:07 am

If I had realized sooner just how slim the Goddard is, I might not have been so quick to dismiss it. I mean, its slimness came up pretty early in the conversation, I just didn't realize it was THAT slim. For being linerless and otherwise comparable to an Endura as far as size and blade/edge length goes, yet turn out noticeably slimmer... wow. If I'd known, I might not have been able to refrain.
If there's ever another run of Goddards, things may turn out differently :)
z1r

Post by z1r »

I 've come to really appreciate the thin blade. So glad I nabbed a second one just minutes before they sold out.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

I touched up my "dull" Goddard with about 40 passes on the diamond rods and another 40 on the brown rods at 35° inclusive which seemed to match the apex angle.
Now it's a screaming sharp knife and in my work truck.
Really like the weight to blade size of this model.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Is the lightweight Stretch XL as solid as the Goddard? Asking about handle flex and liners.

I picked mine up on Monday and carried it while I push-mowed the lawn last night. Overall, very impressed. The weight is great. I like the clip placement, too. It gives me plenty of purchase when I pull the the Goddard from pocket. Also, love the color. Also also, love the Deadpool sticker from St Nicks.
- Richard
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Mine is on its way …. both a new model and a new steel for me, so I’m really looking forward to receiving it.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

riclaw wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:53 pm
Is the lightweight Stretch XL as solid as the Goddard? Asking about handle flex and liners.

I picked mine up on Monday and carried it while I push-mowed the lawn last night. Overall, very impressed. The weight is great. I like the clip placement, too. It gives me plenty of purchase when I pull the the Goddard from pocket. Also, love the color. Also also, love the Deadpool sticker from St Nicks.
No. The Goddard feels significantly more sturdy to me. That's not to say that the S2XL LW is insufficiently sturdy.. it's just much easier to force the handle to flex than with the Goddard. I really like the Goddard's one-piece handle construction; it feels a lot more solid than I would have guessed.. and the hardware reduction is an added benefit to simplistic folks such as myself..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:12 am
riclaw wrote:

No. The Goddard feels significantly more sturdy to me. That's not to say that the S2XL LW is insufficiently sturdy.. it's just much easier to force the handle to flex than with the Goddard. I really like the Goddard's one-piece handle construction; it feels a lot more solid than I would have guessed.. and the hardware reduction is an added benefit to simplistic folks such as myself..
:squinting-tongue Tell me about it!

DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

HolySteel wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:20 am
DSH007 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:12 am
riclaw wrote:

:squinting-tongue Tell me about it!

Nice disassembly pic! Haven't tried it yet with mine, but something tells me the reduction in hardware doesn't lend itself to a reduction in swear words uttered during reassembly..
:winking-tongue
Rick H.

HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:50 am

Nice disassembly pic! Haven't tried it yet with mine, but something tells me the reduction in hardware doesn't lend itself to a reduction in swear words uttered during reassembly..
The only thing that could have made it worse was if I had stabbed myself.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

HolySteel wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:53 am
DSH007 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:50 am

The only thing that could have made it worse was if I had stabbed myself.
So your Goddard has been reassembled and you didn't stab yourself in the process? Sounds like a great success to me hahah! And you got a cool disassembly pic for the forum out of the ordeal .. your experimentation is greatly appreciated sir, thank you for your efforts!
Rick H.