The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by Mad Mac »

Consider it your "Green New Deal". Enjoy.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I waited 11 weeks for this beauty. Stealth Arms Platypus! Custom double stack 1911 that takes glock 17 mags. All I can say is it was worth the wait! Beautifully made, smooth, amazing trigger. Cerakote is flawless. I cannot wait to shoot this thing!

:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Mine was a Sig Sauer P320 M17 Bravo. Here's what it looked like originally (bottom left) - I have a set of Wilson Combat coyote tan grips that I might add to it.

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

soc_monki wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:57 pm
I waited 11 weeks for this beauty. Stealth Arms Platypus! Custom double stack 1911 that takes glock 17 mags. All I can say is it was worth the wait! Beautifully made, smooth, amazing trigger. Cerakote is flawless. I cannot wait to shoot this thing!

Wow. Far out, man!
Never heard of that before.
How's the trigger?
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:39 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:57 pm

Wow. Far out, man!
Never heard of that before.
How's the trigger?
Amazing. I opted for the 4 lb trigger option, but feels like a little less. Very short take up, no grit, nice reset. Probably the best trigger I've felt yet!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Nice. I love the bull barrel too.
I've got a Bul Armory 1911 with a Bul barrel
Congrats again man, that's really neat!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

HolySteel wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:15 pm
Mine was a Sig Sauer P320 M17 Bravo. Here's what it looked like originally (bottom left) - I have a set of Wilson Combat coyote tan grips that I might add to it.

Great collection HolySteel! 😎
Bman940

Post by Bman940 »

I agree with you on the Riton Red dot scopes being a great option. Tough to beat the price,quality and reliability. Love that SOL AR, sweet!

I dive with the Assist Salt FRN Yellow. 2 years and over 100 dives it is still in great shape. I have only need to use it one time and that was to cut a stray rope that wrapped around the propeller.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:52 am
HolySteel wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:15 pm

Great collection HolySteel! 😎
Thanks. COVID removed my income and I had to sell all but the 2 Sigs, the Colt and the 686. I hated giving up that 1917 Luger - most accurate gun I've ever fired.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm looking for a new full sized double stack pistol.

I have a Ruger LCP Max as my pocket gun, and a S&W M&P Shield 2.0 9mm as my regular EDC.

Looking for something with.....

* Minimum of 16+1 carry capacity.
* $400-700 street price.
* 9mm preferred.
* No safety.

Not too worried about size and weight as this will be an open carry firearm for work & the night stand. Just want something with higher capacity than my other pistols, with a longer and more accurate barrel.

Previously owned an M&P 9mm full sized pistol but sold it to a friend. Wouldn't be opposed to buying the newer version of that, or picking up my first Glock, but figured I'd ask here and see if there's anything else I should consider.
:unicorn
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:36 am

I have a Ruger LCP Max as my pocket gun, and a S&W M&P Shield 2.0 9mm as my regular EDC.

* $400-700 street price.
* 9mm preferred.
* No safety.

Not too worried about size and weight as this will be an open carry firearm for work & the night stand. Just want something with higher capacity than my other pistols, with a longer and more accurate barrel.

Previously owned an M&P 9mm full sized pistol but sold it to a friend. Wouldn't be opposed to buying the newer version of that, or picking up my first Glock, but figured I'd ask here and see if there's anything else I should consider.
Since you mentioned Glock the model 45 might be a nice option for you . It has the barrel length of the 19 and model 17 round capacity . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:50 am
vivi wrote:

* $400-700 street price.
* 9mm preferred.
* No safety.

Since you mentioned Glock the model 45 might be a nice option for you . It has the barrel length of the 19 and model 17 round capacity . Dan
Looks good to me. I like that it includes 3 magazines while being under $600. I'll go check one out today once my local shop opens up.
benben

Post by benben »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:50 am
vivi wrote:

* $400-700 street price.
* 9mm preferred.
* No safety.

Yep, I was going to suggest the Glock 45, or an HK VP9 (striker) and the P30 (hammer). Looks like you prefer striker fired pistols. Might take a little work to get the HK’s under that $700 upper limit but it can be done.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Yeah, I feel a Glock is just the best choice in that price range. They're tough as nails too.
Now, does the 45 have the 17 grip?
If so, that's what I'd go for as well.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

You really have kicked the hornet's nest.

I do not own a pistol that meets all of your requirements.
However, I recently acquired a pistol equipped with a red dot.
Even if you do not think you want one now
a pistol that is red dot ready may be worth considering
for the future.
So I was curious what ChatGPT might have to say.
She surprised me.

"If you're looking for a full-size 5-inch barrel striker-fired 9mm duty pistol that is high capacity and optical red dot ready, there are several options available on the market. Here are a few popular choices:

Glock 17 MOS: The Glock 17 is a widely recognized duty pistol, and the MOS (Modular Optic System) variant comes pre-cut for an optical red dot sight. It has a 5.31-inch barrel and typically comes with a 17-round magazine.

Smith & Wesson M&P9 M2.0 CORE: The M&P9 M2.0 CORE from Smith & Wesson features a 5-inch barrel and is designed to be optic-ready with a cutout for a red dot sight. It offers high capacity with magazines available in various sizes, including a 17-round magazine.

FN 509 Tactical: The FN 509 Tactical is a popular choice among law enforcement and military personnel. It has a 4.5-inch barrel and comes with an optics-ready slide for red dot sights. It offers high capacity with 17-round or 24-round magazines.

CZ P-10F OR: The CZ P-10F OR (Optics Ready) is a full-size 9mm pistol with a 4.5-inch barrel. It comes with a slide cutout for an optic and offers high capacity with a 19-round magazine."

When I asked for one with a low price
she told me about a pistol I never heard of.

"Canik TP9SFx: The Canik TP9SFx is known for offering a lot of features at an affordable price. It features a 5.2-inch barrel and comes optic ready with a slide cutout for a red dot sight. The TP9SFx typically comes with 20-round magazines and has a competitive price compared to some other models."

Have fun shopping.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
benben

Post by benben »

A guy I go to church with is a Captain in a local police department here in my County, they just moved the entire department to the Glock 45, he said they couldn’t be happier!

Naming a 9mm a Glock 45 is pretty…. I don’t want to use the word dumb, but….I’ve read it was the next model number / variant in line, so G45 it is!?

On the flip side, making a pistol with a Glock 19 slide length and a Glock 17 grip length is pretty genius! Not quite the greatest at concealment but in hand it’s pretty awesome!

Having said that, out of the box the HK VP9 trigger blows the Glock out of the water!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I appreciate all the suggestions!

Still haven't figured out which one I'm getting for a full sized, but while shopping I found a replacement for my Shield.

The Ruger Max 9mm.

Holds more rounds, weighs less, has better sights for low light conditions, the less abrasive handle texture feels way better aiwb, and I found one on sale brand new for only $325. My shield is in good enough shape I'll have money left over for beer after the swap ;)

I always watch hickock45 videos for guns I'm considering and he mentioned a street price of $500 in his video. They sure came down in price.

Pocket guns sure have come a long way the past decade.
benben

Post by benben »

71002292470__DFF253E9-EAED-470A-ADE2-2E8DBBD095CD.jpeg
Here you go vivi, this sale was still going last week at Blackstone’s, what’s that….25/30 miles away from you? Don’t think I’ve ever seen a VP9 for $600 before?
miohin

Post by miohin »

vivi wrote:

* $400-700 street price.
* 9mm preferred.
* No safety.
No experience with it, and it's a new firearm, but the Springfield Echelon looks very interesting.

$600 street price
17+1 and 20+1
9mm
4.5" barrel
Optics capable, night sights, and has a fire control unit
Lurker
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

I vote VP9 or USP for a full size night stand gun,
but I'm partial to my HKs...

That Platypus is looking awesome. I'm trying to fund a Staccato, but man I'm tempted to get one.