Origin of the STEEL in USA Made Spyderco's. Hope Sal reads.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Origin of the STEEL in USA Made Spyderco's. Hope Sal reads.

Post by Bolster »

Danke wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:39 am
They told me it comes from the PLANET EARTH because we've got the best steel in whole SOLAR SYSTEM!

WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL. But it's just recycled supernova, and the same supernova made all the planets in our system, so...for a real comparison test, we'd need extra-solar-system steel. Let's request some of that for the next Mule.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I'm just glad that Betelgeuse didn't get mentioned 3 times!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

sal wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:15 pm
Hi Pennypincher,

As mentioned, and listed, most of the steels that we use in Golden are US made either by Crucible in NY or Carpenter in PA.

As to best, I always say, "no best, all good, just different".

I have to agree with Spicy Suplex, the Ganymedian steel made in "Saltu" (just above the equator) is the best, outside of Earth, but alas, no poetry?

sal
Well I did not realize we were still doing steel in the USA, yes there is no best, best in in ming of person who like one over another.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Danke wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:27 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:21 am
Danke wrote:
They told me it comes from the PLANET EARTH because we've got the best steel in whole SOLAR SYSTEM!

If we ever quit fighting each other on the Earth we may just get off this rock and go see what elements and iron ores exist on other planets and moons.

I was willing as a young man to work in space, but I'm 63 now and those days are gone.
If you're a Sci Fi guy read "Old Man's War".

For the rest of use we'll meet this halfway. Next PM2 Sprint Run can me meteorite steel.
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman is a fantastic read too. Old Man's War and the subsequent novels are some of my favorites though. And pretty much anything Heinlein.

As for steel...I don't worry about what steel my knife is using very often. K390 is my favorite, but s30 works just fine as well. I have plenty of variety, and all cut things. As long as it isn't gas station or Pakistani Damascus quality it's adequate to me!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Danke

Post by Danke »

soc_monki wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:51 pm
Danke wrote:
Naperville wrote:
Danke wrote:

If we ever quit fighting each other on the Earth we may just get off this rock and go see what elements and iron ores exist on other planets and moons.

I was willing as a young man to work in space, but I'm 63 now and those days are gone.

For the rest of use we'll meet this halfway. Next PM2 Sprint Run can me meteorite steel.
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman is a fantastic read too. Old Man's War and the subsequent novels are some of my favorites though. And pretty much anything Heinlein.

As for steel...I don't worry about what steel my knife is using very often. K390 is my favorite, but s30 works just fine as well. I have plenty of variety, and all cut things. As long as it isn't gas station or Pakistani Damascus quality it's adequate to me!
I've got copies of at least 2 of the different versions of Forever War, and Forever Free.

Still hoping for the film treatment.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Danke wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:20 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Danke wrote:
Naperville wrote:

I've got copies of at least 2 of the different versions of Forever War, and Forever Free.

Isn't Avatar and its sequel basically the premise of Old Man's War? You've got consciousness transfer to genetically engineered, different colored bodies, fighting for resources... etc

(I know, I know, basically a bunch of coincidences, but still worth a second thought ;) )
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Danke

Post by Danke »

nerdlock wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:35 pm
Danke wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:20 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Danke wrote:

Isn't Avatar and its sequel basically the premise of Old Man's War? You've got consciousness transfer to genetically engineered, different colored bodies, fighting for resources... etc

(I know, I know, basically a bunch of coincidences, but still worth a second thought ;) )
And The Ship Who Sang, and Altered Carbon, and When Gravity Fails. All the prototypical Cyberpunk upload/download your conscious stuff.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Danke wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:06 am
Naperville wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:53 am
Danke wrote:
Naperville wrote:

:squinting-tongue

Will take a look at "Old Man's War."

Meteorite steel is beautiful. I've seen it on watch faces. Would have to be a very limited run of knives. It is very pricey, not sure that I could afford it.
I"d have the same worries I always have when natural materiel is involved. I'd worry about getting a "good" one.
The rarity of meteorite and the fragility of it would be the issues for a knife manufacturer planning to make a blade out of it. Maybe it could be a cladding material if somebody could create a means of attaching it to another steel like VG-10. The costs would be prohibitive and the ability to use the knife would probably be nil, but for an art piece it still would attract buyers.

If I won the Lotto, you can put me down for one!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Some of these exotic blade materials specially made by celebrity knife makers sell for 4-5 figures and if the buyer was a deceased celebrity for 6 figures. For example, “Anthony Bourdain’s Bob Kramer chef’s knife sold at auction for a whopping $231250”. Bourdain paid $5000 for the “meteorite” blade kitchen knife.

https://youtu.be/4x0f2b_0kn0
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

And he's using the quarter million dollar knife to chop onions in his shop. Now that's avante garde.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:24 pm
And he's using the quarter million dollar knife to chop onions in his shop. Now that's avante garde.

$5K then but $231K at auction because it used to belong to a dead celebrity & chef! Bourdain was a complicated man with a tragic ending. His “Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown” show (2013-2018) was about food, cultures, people, friendships, etc. Great stuff since the show visited so many different cuisines, countries and regions.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:24 pm
Ya got me.

Coffee spurt...
RyanAnchors

Post by RyanAnchors »

Even a lot of foreign steel companies’ steel is made by CPM. For example, German company Zapp’s Z-wear that was used in the Z-Wear Shaman was made by CPM and rolled by Niagra, exactly the same as CPM-Cruwear. It is an identical steel with a different stamp.

Some others are actually made overseas like 20cv vs m390 vs 204p. Still the same steel though.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

RyanAnchors wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:18 pm
Some others are actually made overseas like 20cv vs m390 vs 204p. Still the same steel though.

Although similar, CPM-20CV is made by Crucible in the U.S., CTS-204P is made by Carpenter in the U.S. and M390 is made by Bohler-Uddeholm in Sweden.

RyanAnchors

Post by RyanAnchors »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:37 pm
RyanAnchors wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:18 pm

Although similar, CPM-20CV is made by Crucible in the U.S., CTS-204P is made by Carpenter in the U.S. and M390 is made by Bohler-Uddeholm in Sweden.

I should have been more precise with my wording. Z-wear and CPM-Cruwear are the same (identical, made in the same place to the same standards), while the other three I mentioned are different manufacturer’s versions of the same steel (will naturally be slightly different). I appreciate the chart, it’s interesting that the silicon content differs ever so slightly while everything else is the same. I imagine that has no real world effect on the outcome, but maybe I’m wrong?