Left or right-handed knife user?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Left or right-handed knife user?

Left
35%
Right
55%
Skillfully both
11%

Total votes: 66

James Y

Re: Left or right-handed knife user?

Post by James Y »

Although I'm right-handed in using knives and handwriting, etc., I'm ambidextrous in throwing (balls, rocks, darts, knives, axes), striking and kicking, etc.

Jim
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Left handedness is significantly higher than 10% - in the US. 15% would probably be a good lower bound but I've seen some data that 20% is a reasonable estimate.

I was a more ambidextrous knife user during my early years 20+ years ago when pocket clip options were less Left-Hand friendly.

Usually I'd carry right pocket, draw and open with my right hand and then switch the knife to my left hand, cut, put back in my right hand to close the knife, and put back in my pocket. Many times I'd just do everything with my right hand, never felt natural but worked ok.

Better pocket clip mounting became available and I outgrew that habit quickly. I retain the dexterity to open/close whatever knife with my right hand but the actual cutting ability is almost completely gone.
jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

Righty for most, lefty for my Emerson Endela when concealed carrying.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I’m a righty. But I surf goofy. When I used to box I could go south paw as well. Folders only righty. Fixed blades either left or right.
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

Righty by birth… Lefty by injury…
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Interesting results, I didn't expect that many lefties in the mix.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yeah, surprising, but probably a lot of righties didn't vote.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Amazed at the # of lefties and ambi’s…I am one of the righties but I can flick knives and shoot lefty…writing and anything else for that matter is painful to watch 🤣
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I am a righty, but I carry left handed knives as well. I purposely rig some of my knives for lefthand carry.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I selected right handed. It's my default and where I am most comfortable. Most of the time I only carry one knife on my right side. I have gone through periods in my life where I carried multiple knives but most of the time they were fixed blades.

For a number of years I dabbled in Filipino martial arts (knife arts) and tried to get acclimated to left and right, and I carried on both sides all of the time. I practiced too, it was part of my training, I'd draw knives constantly. It's easy when you have fixed, assisted or auto knives but not as easy when you have neither and are in a pickle where you need a knife immediately to fend off an attacker. Call me lazy, bored, whatever, I just stay home now and have moved away from dangerous living conditions so it is less important to me.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/