Subvert Sprint CF/20CV!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HolySteel

Re: Subvert Sprint CF/20CV!

Post by HolySteel »

Giygas wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:01 am
The direction of the grind lines are the same as on the original Subvert and the Advocate, vertical on the bevels and horizontal on the flats.
What would be better? (This is a new subject for me - just curious and trying to learn).
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

HolySteel wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:01 pm
Giygas wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:01 am
The direction of the grind lines are the same as on the original Subvert and the Advocate, vertical on the bevels and horizontal on the flats.
What would be better? (This is a new subject for me - just curious and trying to learn).
99% of knives are done that way.

I've only ever seen a horizontal scratch pattern on blades with a hand satin finish.

My point was that the finishing of the flats should have been done after grinding the bevels, to cover the scratches left behind by the coarser belts at the point the two different finishes meet.

Part of my job is to do the final QC on "sky's the limit" custom firearms, and that's something I find impossible to turn off. Very few people are likely to even notice it, let alone care
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

I get it. I’m anal about every aspect of my revolvers, but somehow never evolved that way with knives - probably because most of my knives have been old factory fixed blades and slip joint pocket knives.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:48 pm
Absolutely Stunning!!!

Can I ask which variant has a more grippy handle?
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

So I had my wife do a blind feel test :winking-tongue

She picked the Carbon Fiber one each of the 5 test. I think the CF is indeed more grippy but not by much to warrant a choice between the two.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Normally, I don't go for large folders (blade length > 3") since I can't carry it in Los Angeles. However, this big beauty with 20CV Stainless Steel & Solid CF is too good to pass up so one is incoming! My favorite steel for folders is M390/20CV and my favorite handle material is Solid CF. Both boxes checked! Hope to carry it one day when I'm elsewhere.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Spyderco.com... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... rade-/2410

Edit: Out of stock

Edit #2: Back in stock
Last edited by Buddafucco on Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
•• Beau
Napsterninja

Post by Napsterninja »

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I am jealous since I won’t get mine till I go back home. Will be like Christmas.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

**** yea, just ordered from white mountain with coupon code for 378!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My Subvert sprint arrived yesterday. Thanks BBS for the street price and speedy shipment.

First impression: Superbly made. Feels like a fixie when opened. Nicely balanced and hand-filling with radiused scales. An admirable objet d’art, but not also a workman’s/sportsman’s tool, thus not a displacer of Glesser icons that are the latter, or more usually both.

Recurves compared (L to R: Vrango; Zulu; Captain; Ulize; Subvert sprint)

Handle-thickness compared (L to R: Subvert; Ulize)
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jdw

Post by jdw »

^^^I really love the group pic but it sure does make me regret that I didn't buy a Ulize when they were available. That's a beauty.^^^ I am loving my Subvert though. It's a solid and very well made knife. I agree with the sentiment that it's beautiful enough to be a work of art but also screams to be used. It's a very cool knife that I may consider trying to get a back up if they are around long enough. One for storage and one to really use.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

jdw wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:47 pm
^^^I really love the group pic but it sure does make me regret that I didn't buy a Ulize when they were available. That's a beauty.^^^
Took the words right out of my mouth! My retailer had them way longer than a lot of the other big sellers, and I still managed to wait too long.
:(
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Dazen wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:08 pm
So I had my wife do a blind feel test :winking-tongue

She picked the Carbon Fiber one each of the 5 test. I think the CF is indeed more grippy but not by much to warrant a choice between the two.
Thanks for the reply and cheers to your wife for the science experiment. This bodes very well!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:25 am
Oh I’m right there with you! I use all my knives and often daily carry my most expensive Spyderco’s like my Paysan, Drunken and now CF Subvert. I just love this version of the Subvert so much that I might buy another as a backup, or investment, because once everyone realizes how special this one is they will be gone. I see you ordered one as well and curious if you’ll have the same impression as me!
That abrupt belly seems useless to me. What would you use it for ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:04 am
Dazen wrote:
Oh I’m right there with you! I use all my knives and often daily carry my most expensive Spyderco’s like my Paysan, Drunken and now CF Subvert. I just love this version of the Subvert so much that I might buy another as a backup, or investment, because once everyone realizes how special this one is they will be gone. I see you ordered one as well and curious if you’ll have the same impression as me!
A side benefit is that it 'lengthens' the blade;i.e-you can slice things that are normally a little too wide for a blade of this length.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

HolySteel wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:40 am
elena86 wrote:
Dazen wrote:
A side benefit is that it 'lengthens' the blade;i.e-you can slice things that are normally a little too wide for a blade of this length.

It looks more like a reverse-s pocket machete to me. Usefull in just a few situations but overkill and even useless for most daily mundane cutting tasks. Interesting design though. The collector in me wants one but the everyday user is against the idea. Tough call.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:54 am
HolySteel wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:40 am
elena86 wrote:
Dazen wrote:

It looks more like a reverse-s pocket machete to me. Usefull in just a few situations but overkill and even useless for most daily mundane cutting tasks. Interesting design though. The collector in me wants one but the everyday user is against the idea. Tough call.
Right. I was just giving you an example of what you could use that blade design for other than whacking vines and tree limbs - in almost all kitchen situations a fixed blade is best. I do 2-3 week visits to see family and will be bringing this one with me. It will be great for those guest situations where you can only find large, dull not-so-great knives.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

elena86 wrote:

That's been the section of blade I've used the most. It's perfect for cutting on a flat surface, like a cutting board.

Its been very reminiscent of the Grimsmo Norseman, to me. So much more useful for general EDC tasks than a quick glance would lead most to believe.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

elena86 wrote:
Dazen wrote:
That’s one of the best parts of the design. I love a stubby belly for its utility. Look at that top down side profile. You see how stout that “Tip” is?! It’s more of a hard use tip design.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.